Sun 21st Apr: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Please stick to discussing the match in question and do not accuse match officials of being biased or corrupt or you run the risk of being immediately banned from the forum.

SUNDAY 21st APRIL
Cornwall v Midlands Hurricanes    15:00
Hunslet v Workington Town    15:00
Newcastle Thunder v Keighley Cougars    15:00
North Wales Crusaders v Rochdale Hornets    14:30

Cornwall v Hurricanes should be pretty close and I think the Choughs will nick it.

Another close game next with home advantage getting Hunslet the win.

Cougars won’t have any problems with Thunder

I'm looking forward to watching this game with Crusaders to pull away it the second half for a 12 point victory over Hornets.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Hurricanes, Hunslet, Keighley and Crusaders. Some good games this week

Hoping Hurricanes cut out the errors tomorrow and get their season back on track. Last week's defeat to Hunslet was hugely disappointing but we do have the squad to compete for the playoffs. 

• Like 3

Midlands Hurricanes, Hunslet, Keighley Cougars and North Wales Crusaders to win

Hurricanes looked the stronger of the two teams when we played them recently.

Cougars will be far too strong for Thunder.

It could be close at Eirias Park....Crusaders need to cut out the unforced errors and reduce our second half penalty count drastically. If we play to our strengths we'll win....by 8 I think.

• Like 1

Yes, things looking a bit bleak in our North East and South West outposts - I'm beginning to wonder whether one or, (God help us) both, will make it to the end of the season. With the Cru losing 36 -37 I'm not sure whether not being able to get to the game was a good or bad thing!

15 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Yes, things looking a bit bleak in our North East and South West outposts - I'm beginning to wonder whether one or, (God help us) both, will make it to the end of the season. With the Cru losing 36 -37 I'm not sure whether not being able to get to the game was a good or bad thing!

Why would either of them not get to the end of the season because they both lost (granted heavily)? I don't think either club is under any illusions with where they're at, at the moment. 

Edited by Indigogo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Crusaders had ample opportunity to win the game today. Some poor defensive efforts on three Hornets tries, dropped kick off from Owain and a lack of effort on the last play before half-time when Hornets dropped their goal were the killer moments for me. Congratulations to Hornets on the win but it could...should have been a Cru win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hurricanes were awesome today and showed they had learnt from disappointing performances in previous weeks. They would have blown away Crusaders and Hunslet playing like they did today. I think I've heard that Cornwall were missing key players with injuries so it might have been closer but.. You know. 

The attendance was down on previous years and it wasn't all down to the reduced numbers of away fans due to weddings and funerals and that kind of shizzle. Still a buzz at the ground and the death of rugby league expansion can safely be parked offsite for some time yet. 

• Like 1

I've had a lovely time down here for the weekend and I've enjoyed all the hospitality the region offers but I'm told for the Hurricanes, this is our record win, record points scored, record number of conversions (and record for those taken by one player). Jake Sweeting was truly awesome with the boot today. Also mentions for the junior Welhams who had great games. 

• Like 2