Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

and the crusaders or harlaquins are getting a licence when the attendence tonite was 1122

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Aug 7 2010, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
didn't catalans get something like 18,000 in barcelona against warrington, about 200 miles from their home ground??

Yeah but the stadium wasn't even a third full. Pi$$ poor effort. Get rid of Catalans AND Warrington. Warrington obviously don't have enough travelling fans.

Edited by deluded pom?, 08 August 2010 - 11:22 AM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#42 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,159 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (skep155 @ Aug 8 2010, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ditto, minus the two Neath games Crusaders have a higher average than Salford this year, and a better stadium, and a better team, yet we don't have weekly posts deriding Salford for making a mockery out of the competition.

I thought we did from Widnes fans wink.gif

#43 nath155

nath155
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Aug 8 2010, 12:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes they did and Crusaders got a whopping crowd for their opening game, and I think the Broncos at the Stoop once got 10,000 for a game against an aussie clubs side.

they got a whopping crowd because they didnt know what rugby league was then they found out and relised they didnt like it yeah big decrease from 8000 to 1100 lol for crowd attendencces were meant to go up

#44 nath155

nath155
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (skep155 @ Aug 8 2010, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ditto, minus the two Neath games Crusaders have a higher average than Salford this year, and a better stadium, and a better team, yet we don't have weekly posts deriding Salford for making a mockery out of the competition.

minus every game but leeds and castleford and wakefield have the 6th highest attendence in super league

#45 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Aug 8 2010, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought we did from Widnes fans wink.gif

thats because we are not afraid to speak our minds. or perhaps we just don't like salford.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#46 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

Given the level of despair at Quins now I think this and other franchise threads on this board could soon be academic - read the comments below
http://www.league.qu...o...34&start=10
At the last home game opinion where I was was 50-50 as to whether there will be a next season at Harlequins
Cost cutting is eveywhere.
David Hughes has finite funds and is tiring of the burden
Louis McCarthy-Scarsbrook has allegedly signed for St Helens
Will Sharp allegedly wants out of the club
Andy Ellis is allegedly going back to Barrow
Chad Randall is allegedly going to Salford
Brian McDemott has allegedly got an agreement with Gary Hetherington about returning to the assistant coaching position at Leeds.
No new players for next year and no indication as to season ticxket prices for 2010-11 which will have to increase due to the VAT rise.
There are three possiblities
Harlequins RL to fold sometime after the Grand Final.
Harlequins RL to merge with London Skolars and reform in the Championship, a precedent was set when Gateshead dropped down a division repreieving an undeserving Leigh Centurions from the drop. A championship club would be easier to run and would preserve part of the current youth development.
Harlequins to limp on next year bottom of the table being thrashed every week.
Moving the franchise to Milton Keynes may be one way of making a more viable club in a less crowded soprting marketplace, except for two things. David Hughes has confirmed he is perplexed as to where this rumour started and secondly the franchise was awarded for London and the South East and not the Midlands.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#47 DemonUK

DemonUK
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (THE RED ROOSTER @ Aug 9 2010, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Given the level of despair at Quins now I think this and other franchise threads on this board could soon be academic - read the comments below
http://www.league.qu...o...34&start=10
At the last home game opinion where I was was 50-50 as to whether there will be a next season at Harlequins
Cost cutting is eveywhere.
David Hughes has finite funds and is tiring of the burden
Louis McCarthy-Scarsbrook has allegedly signed for St Helens
Will Sharp allegedly wants out of the club
Andy Ellis is allegedly going back to Barrow
Chad Randall is allegedly going to Salford
Brian McDemott has allegedly got an agreement with Gary Hetherington about returning to the assistant coaching position at Leeds.
No new players for next year and no indication as to season ticxket prices for 2010-11 which will have to increase due to the VAT rise.
There are three possiblities
Harlequins RL to fold sometime after the Grand Final.
Harlequins RL to merge with London Skolars and reform in the Championship, a precedent was set when Gateshead dropped down a division repreieving an undeserving Leigh Centurions from the drop. A championship club would be easier to run and would preserve part of the current youth development.
Harlequins to limp on next year bottom of the table being thrashed every week.
Moving the franchise to Milton Keynes may be one way of making a more viable club in a less crowded soprting marketplace, except for two things. David Hughes has confirmed he is perplexed as to where this rumour started and secondly the franchise was awarded for London and the South East and not the Midlands.

Undeserving Leigh Centurions - How can you attach the word undeserving, given that they didn't finish in the bottom two either. Toulouse finished below them, and Gateshead cheated. But this is all old hat. As is the fact Richard Branson tried to move London to Leigh years ago and was blocked by the RFL. Moving a 'franchise' was not allowed!

Sorry folks, no forecast comp this year

#48 NEIL FOX IS GOD

NEIL FOX IS GOD
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Aug 7 2010, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't be so silly. the record is absolutely clear that when there's rubbish crowds along the M62 they are largely accepted. When there's rubbish crowds in expansion land they are villified.

The complete irony is that the expansion sides have a damn good excuse, whilst the M62 clubs do not.

So here goes.

Wakefield Trinity formed in 1873 played in a Rugby City for 137 years, no opposition from the soccer, mainly a top half team with a purple patch of success in the early sixties, generations of RL players/fans produced in and around the city posted gates of 4807, 5037, 4721, and 5079, all in Superleague last year when they actually finished fifth.

Wakefield.v.Salford 2002 attendance 2475.

What will Wales gates be in 100 years when they are playing winning rugby??.

I'd like to bet not as pathetic as some of Wakefield's crowds. You want to stop throwing stones in glass houses.

Don't get me wrong, I think Wakefield will go places, and hope they do, I have been many times to watch them.

You'd do well to support your club and support the game, rather than try to knock fellow clubs down.

I will tell you now Wales gates in 100 years time will be no better they will fold without the backing and funding from the RL just like they have done before
then some idiot will try again in 20-25 years and it will fail again
dont get me wrong I have nothing against expansion but at any cost NO sorry
who is keeping the Crusaders afloat and how much longer can he or they do it before they realize they are flogging a dead horse in Wales
Where next Leicester, Bath, Northampton, Dublin, Belfast ???

Posted Image

#49 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (DemonUK @ Aug 9 2010, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Moving a 'franchise' was not allowed!

But it's ok to move from South Wales to North Wales ! rolleyes.gif
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#50 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (nath155 @ Aug 9 2010, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they got a whopping crowd because they didnt know what rugby league was then they found out and relised they didnt like it yeah big decrease from 8000 to 1100 lol for crowd attendencces were meant to go up

and a different venue, to an area that is not too keen on them etc etc etc etc etc etc.. compare like with like.. racecourse to racecourse.

#51 skep155

skep155
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (NEIL FOX IS GOD @ Aug 9 2010, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will tell you now Wales gates in 100 years time will be no better they will fold without the backing and funding from the RL just like they have done before
who is keeping the Crusaders afloat and how much longer can he or they do it before they realize they are flogging a dead horse in Wales

So you have nothing against expansion, yet you overtly imply that its a waste of time even trying. It seems to me that is the very essence of being against expansion.

#52 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:38 AM

Its attitudes like that of NFIG that has made Wakefield the place it is today.

#53 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,958 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (THE RED ROOSTER @ Aug 9 2010, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Harlequins RL to merge with London Skolars and reform in the Championship

Assume this would be a team of mostly London & South East locals? Not the worst idea, they'd be competitive nowadays, though where would be suitable to play? Stoop too large and expensive and New River too small. Of course Skolars reserves and amateurs would need preserving in the Haringey area, perhaps as Haringey Hornets.

I'd like them to find a viable setup for Super League somewhere in the South East (which Milton Keynes is officially part of, as is Oxford) but failing that I'd go for this option.

#54 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,397 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (jannerboyuk @ Aug 7 2010, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aye but decent punctuation helps make the meaning clear. Thats it purpose, innit?

Indeed. Try reading the following sentence without the commas: I helped my neighbour, Jack, off his horse yesterday. tongue.gif

The Crusaders are looking good for the future, from what I've seen and read. Harlequins, on the other hand, do worry me, partly for the future of the club and partly for the gloating joy that will be expressed on here by many if Rugby League fails anywhere outside the 'heartlands'.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#55 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (bowes @ Aug 9 2010, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Assume this would be a team of mostly London & South East locals? Not the worst idea, they'd be competitive nowadays, though where would be suitable to play? Stoop too large and expensive and New River too small. Of course Skolars reserves and amateurs would need preserving in the Haringey area, perhaps as Haringey Hornets.

I'd like them to find a viable setup for Super League somewhere in the South East (which Milton Keynes is officially part of, as is Oxford) but failing that I'd go for this option.

no stirring here but what do you mean "officially part of"? the South East is not an administrative region or anything so although i would say Oxford is i would say Milton Keynes is in the midlands to be honest so where do you get the "officially part of" bit.. i only wonder as it could make it very interesting

#56 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,958 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (RP London @ Aug 9 2010, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no stirring here but what do you mean "officially part of"? the South East is not an administrative region or anything so although i would say Oxford is i would say Milton Keynes is in the midlands to be honest so where do you get the "officially part of" bit.. i only wonder as it could make it very interesting

They do use them for some things, or at least Labour did not sure about the Conservatives. But Sport England and the EU are the 2 main things I can think of. Certainly it's not midlands, though it's not London either

#57 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (bowes @ Aug 9 2010, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They do use them for some things, or at least Labour did not sure about the Conservatives. But Sport England and the EU are the 2 main things I can think of. Certainly it's not midlands, though it's not London either

so its in the South East for Sport England?

#58 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,958 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (RP London @ Aug 9 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so its in the South East for Sport England?

Yes, the boundaries are odd. Sport England use the standard regions. Whether that matters for funding purposes I don't know, I know there was talk they'd be keen on getting at least a semi-pro team in each region and South East has probably the fewest rugby league teams of any region (though this is much improved with the likes of Guildford, Southampton, Sussex Merlins etc being relatively new), so a boost there may help.

Either way Sport England region is irrelevent to the 3 important questions about Oxford or Milton Keynes:

1. Would a backer be found in those places or David Hughes want to stay
2. Would London players want to travel there to play
3. Would the support base be there

I believe 3 would be better than at Twickenham but no idea how much by, no idea for points 1 and 2

#59 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,159 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (NEIL FOX IS GOD @ Aug 9 2010, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fair first point and I agree Wales and London may need backing from SKY funding, but this would be the first time it has really been done properly and if it happens it will have to stand as a long term worthwhile investment.

Your flogging a dead horse is a bit thoughtless. All past expansion has been without real investment and against RU resistance. This is the opportunity to make a sound investment in expansion, and build on terrific grass roots expansion that is working in Wales and London. Don't discount that.

Where next??? I suspect nowhere, just keep Wales, France and London going for some time to come unless any private investor got interested.

Pushing the case for going back to the M62 will push the game seriously backwards - don't discount that either.

#60 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

I've asked this one before but what exactly IS successful expansion? Is it a SLE team playing in front of 6,000 regularly with a team stacked with imports and little in the way of junior development or is it a SLE team with crowds that are nothing to write home about but a good representaion in their squad of local players and a good junior set up in place?

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users