Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Quins RL junior development puts some heartlands clubs to shame

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:59 PM

http://www.guardian....y-league-london

its a pity some some heartland clubs don't put in as much effort into junior development as this club.

#2 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (The Future is League @ Aug 19 2010, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.guardian....y-league-london

its a pity some some heartland clubs don't put in as much effort into junior development as this club.

Positive article.

#3 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (westlondonfan @ Aug 19 2010, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Positive article.

Now all that is needed is a positive cash flow.
Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#4 Northern Eel

Northern Eel
  • Coach
  • 657 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

Quins RL junior development puts some heartlands clubs to shame

rolleyes.gif Presumably, as do the non-Quins community clubs in Medway, Brentwood, Hainault, St Albans, Hemel and Greenwich etc who supply a significant number of players to the Quins Academy?

London Junior League Grand Finalists:

U12s - Elmbridge Eagles v Medway Dragons
U13s - Brentwood Elvers V Medway Dragons
U14s - Elmbridge Eagles V Brentwood Elvers
U16s - Greenwich Admirals V Hainault Bulldogs
U18s - Medway Dragons V Greenwich Admirals

Edited by Northern Eel, 19 August 2010 - 09:29 PM.

#5 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:19 PM

Aren't Skolars, South London Storm, West London Sharks & all the clubs in and on the outskirts of London (in the RLC 'Premier' South & RLC South East?) potential feeder clubs for Quins?

Edited by HappyDave, 19 August 2010 - 11:20 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#6 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,537 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:27 AM

it's lies put out by Lewis and Wood, anybody knows that.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#7 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (Northern Eel @ Aug 19 2010, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rolleyes.gif Presumably, as do the non-Quins community clubs in Medway, Brentwood, Hainault, St Albans, Hemel and Greenwich etc who supply a significant number of players to the Quins Academy?

London Junior League Grand Finalists:

U12s - Elmbridge Eagles v Medway Dragons
U13s - Brentwood Elvers V Medway Dragons
U14s - Elmbridge Eagles V Brentwood Elvers
U16s - Greenwich Admirals V Hainault Bulldogs
U18s - Medway Dragons V Greenwich Admirals

Indeed Northern Eel. Not many Quins Community clubs at finals day this year.
That said the coverage in the Quins programme after the event was actually
pretty well balanced for a change.

Dont suppose you know the kick off time for the County High fixture at Hillingdon
on cup final eve. ?

#8 Northern Eel

Northern Eel
  • Coach
  • 657 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (Spicer @ Aug 20 2010, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Indeed Northern Eel. Not many Quins Community clubs at finals day this year.
That said the coverage in the Quins programme after the event was actually
pretty well balanced for a change.

Dont suppose you know the kick off time for the County High fixture at Hillingdon
on cup final eve. ?

1.10pm. Fancy it?

#9 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (Northern Eel @ Aug 20 2010, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1.10pm. Fancy it?

Indeed yes but Earlies that morning.
Will be travelling on the tube from Knightsbridge so that will take me a fair while.
Understand its only a 10 or so minute walk from Uxbridge station.
May not make the start but will get there a.s.a.p.
Hopefully we will have a 10 to 6 on so that I can take some time off.

Edited by Spicer, 20 August 2010 - 11:02 AM.

#10 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

The killer post
SaintLan
19 Aug 2010, 1:17PM
Olympic Stadium would be ideal - dead easy to get to.
I've played rugby league in London for years - but I wouldn't bother going to Twickenham to watch it im afraid

People are getting confused here - The Harlequins RL debate is not about whether people enjoy playing recreational Rugby League in London or that their numbers may be growing. it is whether Harlequins RL the Professional Club is viable as a going concern due to the lack of spectators.
Put it this way if the number of people who are supposedly playing RL in the south east actuaully turned up at the Stoop to watch the pro club. TRL would be a duller place as Quins threads would be fewer.
It's a simple equation
More Fans = More Cash = Better Team = More attractive to sponsors = potential success on the field = More Fans and so on.
Far from being an argument in favour of the club. The more posts I read from the recreational game. the more I am convinced you are all saying "we can survive quite nicely without the Super League Club - thank you".

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#11 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (THE RED ROOSTER @ Aug 20 2010, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The killer post

People are getting confused here - The Harlequins RL debate is not about whether people enjoy playing recreational Rugby League in London or that their numbers may be growing. it is whether Harlequins RL the Professional Club is viable as a going concern due to the lack of spectators.
Put it this way if the number of people who are supposedly playing RL in the south east actuaully turned up at the Stoop to watch the pro club. TRL would be a duller place as Quins threads would be fewer.
It's a simple equation
More Fans = More Cash = Better Team = More attractive to sponsors = potential success on the field = More Fans and so on.
Far from being an argument in favour of the club. The more posts I read from the recreational game. the more I am convinced you are all saying "we can survive quite nicely without the Super League Club - thank you".

I still don't think you understand the anit-Quins feeling of the majority of RL people in London

Ever since the ill-thought out move back to the Stoop coupled with the ill-thought out name to change to Quins, many Broncos fans were alienated. Some stopped going overnight. I know quite a few. Some carried on going occasionally begrudingly, but have waned.

Also RL fans of other clubs who now live in London, do not identify with Quins despite the RL connection. It was bad enough at times as Broncose with the ill-thought out Aussie connection, and I still maintain that having Chris Warren guffawing as the clubs spokesperson did the club no favours in trying to convince Londoners that they were a London club

What is needed now is to merge the best bits of what Quins RL and London RLFC had, i.e.

- Youth set-up and connections (Quins RL)
- Squad (Quins RL approach of locals/Brits)
- Coach (Please aim for a Brit)
- MediaMan (A Londoner)
- Brand (London RLFC, with the bronco bit dropped)
- Ground (A well thought out, not a Union ground)
- Fanbase (get all the Broncos fans back and then target ex-pats plus Londoners)

#12 Saint Rich

Saint Rich
  • Coach
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 20 2010, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- MediaMan (A Londoner)

I think they should get Chris Warren in for that.

ph34r.gif

#13 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

So Quins lost Fulham/Broncos fans when they moved to The Stoop & changed their name to Harlequins RL?? How petty & lame is that??
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#14 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (HappyDave @ Aug 20 2010, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So Quins lost Fulham/Broncos fans when they moved to The Stoop & changed their name to Harlequins RL?? How petty & lame is that??

Some may call it petty, others say there's too much history between the 2 codes to then get in bed with the enemy.
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#15 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:21 PM

Well, I call that petty, it makes those so-called (ex-)'fans' almost as bad as the 'Union-type' who try to belittle/discredit our sport.