Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hull FC v Leeds Rhinos

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: Hull FC v Leeds Rhinos (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Hull FC (9 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. Leeds (5 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Draw (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (giwildgo @ Sep 4 2010, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great effort from Hull so far after the harsh Radford sending off. Really impressed, in particular with Tom Briscoe, best British winger in the league by some distance.

QUOTE (Padge @ Sep 4 2010, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His ability to stop the try has been on display once again, you're not wrong saying he's the best British winger.

but but but ...he's white ohmy.gif
(sorree couldn't resist)

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#42 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Sep 4 2010, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
due to entirely forseen circumstances, ie. Mick not turning up, i have a spare ticket for the game. I know it's a bit late but if anybody wants it, pm me.

laugh.gif
Only just seen this...otherwise I might not have turned up too

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#43 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Sep 4 2010, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awful decision by Smith.

Hull threw that away, Leeds are cack.

The one consolation is that we will be able to watch Leeds getting ripped a new one at your place next week, rather than ourselves.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#44 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

As a neutral, I'd much prefer a Hull derby play-off.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#45 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

Fairly fed up about this result.

Surely Sean Long has enough experience to know if you're down to 12 v 13 you use all your tackles in a set of six.

The decision to kick through on tackle three when on their line, which led to Leeds scoring in their next set was a killer.

Can't blame Lee Radford much, tbh. Like I said to Kenny Tiger earlier on, given the chance to rain a few punches on Ryan Bailey after he's given you the usual cheap shots, how many players would turn it down.

Ian Smith, in sending Radford off, highlighted the inconsistency in RL officials this season.

When Hull FC played Catalans away, David Feriol punched Danny Washbrook 6 or 7 times after playing the ball, Washbrook covered his head best he could without throwing a single punch in retaliation. Ref sends Feriol and Kirk Yeaman to the bin for ten minutes, Yeaman having been 40 yards away when the incident happened, mistaken identity. But there's the inconsitency, the ref intended to give both Feriol and Washbrook ten minutes, one player for throwing punches, the other for doing nothing.

Radford throws three, instant sending off.

If only Ian Smith had reffed the Mason v Fielden game two or three years back...

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#46 GazCoops

GazCoops
  • Coach
  • 396 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Sep 4 2010, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Surely Sean Long has enough experience to know if you're down to 12 v 13 you use all your tackles in a set of six.

The decision to kick through on tackle three when on their line, which led to Leeds scoring in their next set was a killer.

Can't blame Lee Radford much, tbh. Like I said to Kenny Tiger earlier on, given the chance to rain a few punches on Ryan Bailey after he's given you the usual cheap shots, how many players would turn it down.

Ian Smith, in sending Radford off, highlighted the inconsistency in RL officials this season.

When Hull FC played Catalans away, David Feriol punched Danny Washbrook 6 or 7 times after playing the ball, Washbrook covered his head best he could without throwing a single punch in retaliation. Ref sends Feriol and Kirk Yeaman to the bin for ten minutes, Yeaman having been 40 yards away when the incident happened, mistaken identity. But there's the inconsitency, the ref intended to give both Feriol and Washbrook ten minutes, one player for throwing punches, the other for doing nothing.

If only Ian Smith had reffed the Mason v Fielden game two or three years back...

How about this for a laugh, Wellens elbows a player 3/4 times in the head while defenceless and on his back gets............

A penalty against him and a slap on the wrist from the ref.

Posted Image

#47 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (Wellsy4HullFC @ Sep 4 2010, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Never been so infuriated by an official in my life. An absolute disgrace. I would back up Agar all the way if he had a rant about him. Absolutely appalling.

I'm not normally a ref basher, in case anyone hadn't notied, but in my opinion Smith got this one completely wrong. Yellow yes, red never.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#48 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (GazCoops @ Sep 4 2010, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about this for a laugh, Wellens elbows a player 3/4 times in the head while defenceless and on his back gets............

A penalty against him and a slap on the wrist from the ref.

Same thing occurred to me Gaz.

Funny old game innit?

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#49 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Sep 4 2010, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not at all, just a pity he wasn't allowed to go on and finish the job.

#50 3owls

3owls
  • Banned
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:51 PM

The best team won and the ref got the Radford decision right. Radford deserves a 3 match ban for cowardice, sean mcrae summed it up nicely "Radford came in throwing 3 or 4 punches when bailey wasn't in a position to defend himself". How anyone can call Bailey a cheap shot merchant after Radfords cowardly actions makes me laugh. Leeds did enough despite Ian smith doing his best to even it up by becoming stevie Wonder whenever Hull knocked the ball on. That's hulls cup final over and their season next week when Rovers put them to bed (minus Radford)

#51 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (3owls @ Sep 4 2010, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The best team won and the ref got the Radford decision right. Radford deserves a 3 match ban for cowardice, sean mcrae summed it up nicely "Radford came in throwing 3 or 4 punches when bailey wasn't in a position to defend himself". How anyone can call Bailey a cheap shot merchant after Radfords cowardly actions makes me laugh. Leeds did enough despite Ian smith doing his best to even it up by becoming stevie Wonder whenever Hull knocked the ball on. That's hulls cup final over and their season next week when Rovers put them to bed (minus Radford)

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#52 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (Just Browny @ Sep 4 2010, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nah. He probably made a wrong call on Radford, but when you punch someone three times and split their eye open you're giving the ref a reason to send you off. Hull played well, but got away with a number of knock-ons where Smith said it went backwards (the first play of the game, for one).

It was a difficult game to referee. Hull didn't lose because of the extra man, but because of the poor quality of their passing - Horne and Long threw some shockers.

Only a simpleton could claim that wasn't the deciding factor.

#53 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:40 PM

I have just submitted to the Oxford English Dictionary an additional definition for the word W@nk3r.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#54 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (Ullman @ Sep 5 2010, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only a simpleton could claim that wasn't the deciding factor.

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, but Hull had put themselves in a position to win the game in spite of it. If they had held their nerve in midfield and got a few safe kicks downfield they'd have won. Radford is pretty useless in any event.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#55 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

I wouldn't mention cup finals if I were you.

Oh, and how can Radford's behaviour affect whether Bailey is a cheap shot merchant or not?, Radford can come up with as many cheap shots as possible, it doesn't negate the face that Bailey's one.

That's a rather bitter post from someone who's team won, we'll see what sort of post you produce after next week's game at the DW.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#56 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:52 PM

Hmmmm.

Leeds v Wigan - two big names.
Saints v Wire - exciting tie and a real rivalry.
Hull v Hull KR - Dream tie for the play-offs.
Hudds v Crusaders - Easiest possible game for the expansion team finishing eighth.

I bet these are the ties that the RFL would have picked if they were in a position to engineer them.

Oh.
People called Romans they go the house

#57 GazCoops

GazCoops
  • Coach
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE (Ullman @ Sep 4 2010, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not at all, just a pity he wasn't allowed to go on and finish the job.

Which is a shame cos I was really looking forward to round 2

Posted Image

#58 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Sep 5 2010, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmmm.

Leeds v Wigan - two big names.
Saints v Wire - exciting tie and a real rivalry.
Hull v Hull KR - Dream tie for the play-offs.
Hudds v Crusaders - Easiest possible game for the expansion team finishing eighth.

I bet these are the ties that the RFL would have picked if they were in a position to engineer them.

Oh.

My thoughts exactly during the Leeds - Hull game, the RFL / Sky and the clubs involved in the playoffs (shared revenue / receipts) benefitted most from a Hull defeat, assuming Huddersfield could then win in France. Although I disagree about Huddersfield being the easiest possible game, they are hitting form at the right time and will hammer Crusaders next weekend.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#59 motorface

motorface
  • Players
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

Same old usual tosh from the anti Leeds/Bailey posters. If Bailey had done what Radford did there'd be calls on here to bring back the death penalty! So Radford punches a player laying on the floor not in a position to defend himself and you say that's not a sending off offence???

#60 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (motorface @ Sep 5 2010, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Same old usual tosh from the anti Leeds/Bailey posters. If Bailey had done what Radford did there'd be calls on here to bring back the death penalty! So Radford punches a player laying on the floor not in a position to defend himself and you say that's not a sending off offence???

You seem to have overlooked the fact that Bailey elbowed Radford in the back of the head three times before he got his comeuppance.