Matty Smith signs/re-signs/recalled/whatever for Saints

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 The Chief

The Chief
  • Coach
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

Matty Smith has agreed to join Saints until the end of their play off campaign as cover for our injured half backs. The move has been approved by RFL and he is currently in training at KR.

Likely appearance against Wires this weekend.
Posted Image

www.newtonstorm.co.uk

#2 saintfrank

saintfrank
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:55 PM

Good move, sorry he was allowed to leave in the first place....
Saints Fan from 47 through good and bad times

#3 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:24 PM

Bit of a farce if you ask me. Surely the fact that he hasn't played a single regular season game for them should make him ineligible?

#4 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

I like Matty Smith. He has different qualities to Kyle & think he has a great kicking game. I felt the club were too hasty in getting rid of him & I hope he comes back & proves them wrong / me right wink.gif

I am glad we can give him a bit of a send off too.

Come on Matty
Posted Image
Progress live tour 10th June 2011

SOME THINGS IN LIFE YOU LOOK BACK ON & THINK THANK ###### I GOT OUT OF THAT

#5 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Pottsy @ Sep 8 2010, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bit of a farce if you ask me. Surely the fact that he hasn't played a single regular season game for them should make him ineligible?

Technically he's our player until the seasons over.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#6 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (bewareshadows @ Sep 8 2010, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Technically he's our player until the seasons over.

That's not the point, he hasn't played a single game for Saints during regular season. Bit of a farce IMO.

Maybe Crusaders or someone should look at fetching in some NRL players on short-term deals too.

#7 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Pottsy @ Sep 8 2010, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's not the point, he hasn't played a single game for Saints during regular season. Bit of a farce IMO.

Maybe Crusaders or someone should look at fetching in some NRL players on short-term deals too.

Well lets face it thats been done before, Johns (Wire), Morley (Bradford). At least Matty has been officially registered with us for the last few years
Posted Image

#8 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (saintsbird @ Sep 8 2010, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well lets face it thats been done before, Johns (Wire), Morley (Bradford). At least Matty has been officially registered with us for the last few years

Fail. Johns played two regular season games for Warrington in 2005.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#9 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:59 PM

saints player in playing for saints shocker!
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#10 Simon Templar

Simon Templar
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (Pottsy @ Sep 8 2010, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is no point.

He's a registered Saints player,out on loan to Salford. The club have every right to recall his services. Sia Soliola has barely managed a full game also this season, as well as Fasavailu. Is it a farce that they may well be playing also.

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

TBH there does seem slightly more to this than meets the eye. If he is a contracted Saints player, why did they need RFL approval for this move?

I have no issue with the fact that he hasn't played for them this year, we gave a lad a debut last week, no big deal.

#12 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Sep 9 2010, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why did they need RFL approval for this move?

Better safe than sorry?

If I were a club official I wouldn't consider it to be beyond the realms of possibility the RFL had something in the small print that said a player had to feature in the regular season in order to play in the play-offs. Better to check than face exclusion after the event.

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (shrek @ Sep 9 2010, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Better safe than sorry?

If I were a club official I wouldn't consider it to be beyond the realms of possibility the RFL had something in the small print that said a player had to feature in the regular season in order to play in the play-offs. Better to check than face exclusion after the event.

Just seems strange that this is then highlighted in the press, aren't all signings and movements between clubs subject to RFL approva?. Maybe they are well aware what a cynical bunch us fans are!

#14 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:11 AM

Its all a bit irrelevant now anyway - he's come back to Saints this week, they've realised he's still ###### and he hasn't been picked in the 19 for Fridays game against Wire

#15 Simon Templar

Simon Templar
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (Saint Toppy @ Sep 9 2010, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its all a bit irrelevant now anyway - he's come back to Saints this week, they've realised he's still ###### and he hasn't been picked in the 19 for Fridays game against Wire

Think that's a bit unfair on the lad TBH. He wasn't quite so ###### against us at the willows this season as I recall. In fact he was quite instrumental in Salfords win that day.

#16 Allan Marsden

Allan Marsden
  • Banned
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

Good for the player but I am a tad puzzled. I always thought Saints loaned him out season long because they could not fit his salary under the cap. I masy be wrong but as soon as a player plays for a club, his whole salary goes on your cap?

#17 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (Saint Toppy @ Sep 9 2010, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, he's still ######, is he? Man of the match tonight. Not bad for a ###### player. tongue.gif

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#18 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:11 AM

Wonder if salford would be up for negotiating? I would love to keep Matty & have done for the last 2 years.

I could offer 2 internationals....Meli & Gardner wink.gif
Posted Image

#19 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Allan Marsden @ Sep 10 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good for the player but I am a tad puzzled. I always thought Saints loaned him out season long because they could not fit his salary under the cap. I masy be wrong but as soon as a player plays for a club, his whole salary goes on your cap?

You have to play a certain number of games before your full salary counts on the cap(6 I think).

#20 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (bobbruce @ Sep 11 2010, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have to play a certain number of games before your full salary counts on the cap(6 I think).

I think it is six - I'm sure that is the reason why Stefan Marsh and Ben Davies have only played 5 games for us this season.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users