200 replies to this topic

#21 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Sep 18 2010, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Answer the question.

Btu surely for what you wrote to be true then Wigan would have had to have been in a superb financial state, and they clearly werent. They had a castle built on sand and all it took was one poor season to see it sink.

#22 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Sep 18 2010, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not try answering the question Terry?

Why would you want to put your wage bill up when your customers are going to have less money to spend on your product in the coming years?

This economic dowturn may take 10-15 years to sort out and once the effect of public sector cuts starts to bite then there is going to be a lot less money available in the economy to spend on anything other than essentials - this is going to be especially true in the North (a.k.a. The RL Heartland.)

I do not agree with the cap and never have agreed with it but the last thing that any business wants to be doing at the moment is increasing its costs and therefore its liklihood to have to borrow.

So why do certain clubs want to scrap the cap all of a sudden?

Could it be that some clubs are now in a position to declare unprecedented profits and want use them?

It couldn't just be good old self interest at work now could it?

I feel the heavy hand of the special relationship at work.

Again BOAB do you have EVIDENCE of this so called "special relationship"(not just your paranoid delusions)
The salary was brought in to create a level playing field and not to "cut the ###### off Wigan"who coincidentally have breached the salary cap twice.
I agree that clubs are going to struggle in the current economic climate and your veiled dig at Leeds for wanting the cap removed is as usual pathetic.
Leeds have announced profits and have stated that the profits will go to improve Headingley stadium.Do you have a problem with that.Surely improving the facilities for fans should be a priority for clubs.Any chance to have a dig at Leeds,Saints or Wires though eh.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#23 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (dkw @ Sep 18 2010, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Btu surely for what you wrote to be true then Wigan would have had to have been in a superb financial state, and they clearly werent. They had a castle built on sand and all it took was one poor season to see it sink.

Answer the question.

#24 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Sep 18 2010, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Again BOAB do you have EVIDENCE of this so called "special relationship"(not just your paranoid delusions)
The salary was brought in to create a level playing field and not to "cut the ###### off Wigan"who coincidentally have breached the salary cap twice.
I agree that clubs are going to struggle in the current economic climate and your veiled dig at Leeds for wanting the cap removed is as usual pathetic.
Leeds have announced profits and have stated that the profits will go to improve Headingley stadium.Do you have a problem with that.Surely improving the facilities for fans should be a priority for clubs.Any chance to have a dig at Leeds,Saints or Wires though eh.

Wigan has never broken the salary cap.

So, if clubs are going to struggle in the current economic climate, do you think the cap should stay or go?

#25 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Sep 18 2010, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Answer the question.

Which question exactly?

#26 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Sep 18 2010, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wigan has never broken the salary cap.

So, if clubs are going to struggle in the current economic climate, do you think the cap should stay or go?

So why were Wigan deducted points then, for breaching the salary cap I believe.
http://news.bbc.co.u...gue/6896583.stm
The salary cap should stay.
Even in the current economic climate clubs will try to spend beyond their means and go belly up.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 18 September 2010 - 12:12 PM.

#27 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (dkw @ Sep 18 2010, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which question exactly?

The one posed in my post replying to Terry.

#28 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Sep 18 2010, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't believe everything you read on the BBC.

Wigan hase never broken the cap nor have they ever been found guilty of breaching the cap - read the judgement from the RFL if you can find it.

#29 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Sep 18 2010, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The one posed in my post replying to Terry.

You never asked a question in your first reply, I have no idea what question you are on about.

#30 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Sep 18 2010, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even in the current economic climate clubs will try to spend beyond their means and go belly up.

Mr Hetherington has been arguably the most strident promoter of the cap for years - it will be interesting to see if he agrees with you should the continuation of the cap come up for a vote between the clubs.

#31 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Sep 18 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't believe everything you read on the BBC.

Wigan hase never broken the cap nor have they ever been found guilty of breaching the cap - read the judgement from the RFL if you can find it.

http://www.guardian....gbyleague.sport
http://www.sportingo...c-justice-wigan
All told Wigan have been docked 6 points for various salary cap breaches.

#32 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Sep 18 2010, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.guardian....gbyleague.sport
http://www.sportingo...c-justice-wigan
All told Wigan have been docked 6 points for various salary cap breaches.

and next you'll have the words "broken in the spirit of the salary cap"
How ever you look at it, its cheating tongue.gif

#33 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Sep 18 2010, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mr Hetherington has been arguably the most strident promoter of the cap for years - it will be interesting to see if he agrees with you should the continuation of the cap come up for a vote between the clubs.

Are you a closet Leeds fan,you mention Mr Hetherington and Leeds more than you do your beloved Wigan.
I really do think you need some form of therapy.

#34 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,493 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Sep 18 2010, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. The salary cap was never about evening up the competition

2. The salary cap was never about producing financial stability for clubs

3. And even if it ever was about these two things it has clearly failed miserably on both counts.

4. The salary cap was only ever about one thing - cutting the ###### off Wigan

5. Rugby League must be a in a very fortunate position indeed at the moment because in the present economic climate it must be the only business in the country that is advocating wage inflation as a response to its consumers having less money available to spend on their product.

1. I agree - it wasn't it's original and primary purpose, it has however become that.

2. I think it was but.......see 4.

3. The cap hasn't "failed" because it has created a playing field that would be less even without it and has ensured some financial stability. I wonder how many chairman currently bankroling their clubs deficits and competing on the field would stop doing that if the top clubs pulled away, how would clubs compete if other clubs could have a player budget three times as big. Clearly it works as well as it can in the circumstances and is far better then having no cap but........

4. You have a point, but you take it personally. It could perhaps have been Warrington who'd gone professional and bought up all the best players in the 80's. I'm sure the cap would still have been put in to cut their "bolocks'
off and why not....because.....

5. You yourself refer to wage inflation. Pick the best ten players in the SL. Write down their current wages and then remove the salary cap. Watch where those wages then go.

So a lot of what you say is true, but the salary cap can't be condemned on the idea all it ever was was to stop Wigan per se.

It's not that anymore, it's become a different and effective animal and it shouldn't be strangled.

#35 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Sep 18 2010, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. I agree - it wasn't it's original and primary purpose, it has however become that.

2. I think it was but.......see 4.

3. The cap hasn't "failed" because it has created a playing field that would be less even without it and has ensured some financial stability. I wonder how many chairman currently bankroling their clubs deficits and competing on the field would stop doing that if the top clubs pulled away, how would clubs compete if other clubs could have a player budget three times as big. Clearly it works as well as it can in the circumstances and is far better then having no cap but........

4. You have a point, but you take it personally. It could perhaps have been Warrington who'd gone professional and bought up all the best players in the 80's. I'm sure the cap would still have been put in to cut their "bolocks'
off and why not....because.....

5. You yourself refer to wage inflation. Pick the best ten players in the SL. Write down their current wages and then remove the salary cap. Watch where those wages then go.

So a lot of what you say is true, but the salary cap can't be condemned on the idea all it ever was was to stop Wigan per se.

It's not that anymore, it's become a different and effective animal and it shouldn't be strangled.

Good Post

tongue.gif so there BOAB tongue.gif

#36 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Sep 18 2010, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you a closet Leeds fan,you mention Mr Hetherington and Leeds more than you do your beloved Wigan.
I really do think you need some form of therapy.

no but yeah

he is the only one in his village rolleyes.gif

#37 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

Didn't Wigan admit to breaching the SC when they signed Stuart Fielden before they offloaded another player to accomodate Fielden under the SC?

rldfsignature.jpg

#38 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Sep 18 2010, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't Wigan admit to breaching the SC when they signed Stuart Fielden before they offloaded another player to accomodate Fielden under the SC?

yep and then got Dobson

There was some controversy over Dobson's signing for Wigan. Under English law, Dobson was not permitted to play in England because he did not have a work permit. However, Wigan managed to obtain a work permit for him, albeit in controversial circumstances. When Dobson signed for Wigan, they were at the bottom of the Super League table, 6 points behind the nearest team and heading towards relegation. Dobson's impact at Wigan helped the team survive relegation in the 2006 season. Michael is noted for his good organisational skills on the field.

lets all have a disco...... Pies are going to go ape......... laugh.gif laugh.gif

#39 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Sep 18 2010, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yep and then got Dobson

There was some controversy over Dobson's signing for Wigan. Under English law, Dobson was not permitted to play in England because he did not have a work permit. However, Wigan managed to obtain a work permit for him, albeit in controversial circumstances. When Dobson signed for Wigan, they were at the bottom of the Super League table, 6 points behind the nearest team and heading towards relegation. Dobson's impact at Wigan helped the team survive relegation in the 2006 season. Michael is noted for his good organisational skills on the field.

lets all have a disco...... Pies are going to go ape......... laugh.gif laugh.gif

That sounds like some kind of "special relationship" to me.

#40 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

More like l'amour to me. wink.gif

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users