Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford Bulls Pledge Campaign

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 HaroldShand

HaroldShand
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:52 PM

Personally, I was absolutely horrified at the sight of the Bradford Bulls Pledge 10'000 promotion bus parked in the car park of the Yorkshire Mill Village (less than one mile from Mount Pleasant) in Batley this morning. I understand the bus also visited not only the Birstall area, from where my club draws a good number of fans, but the cente of Dewsbury.
Batley has a professional Rugby League club, as does Dewsbury, and we struggle year after year to attract fans on a miniscule promotional budget. In reality, we have to rely on our on-field success to attract floating, and fickle local supporters.
As well as this cynical and selfish campaign in our towns being both morally and ethically wrong, Batley and Dewsbury are not even located in the same local authority as Bradford.
In 1996, the Batley and Dewsbury clubs lost hundreds of existing and potential fans to Bradford Bulls, following a similarly cynical promotion drive, which included a school visitation programme in the Heavy Woollen district, despite the existence of similar schemes run by our professional sporting organisations.
If any Bradford Bulls supporters wish to bicker with me over their right to advertise in other towns that already have long-standing Rugby League clubs, I would like to ask them how they would feel about, lets say, a Leeds Rhinos drive to attract fans from the Bradford area, which included a blue and amber promotional bus parked in the middle of Forster Square.

Edited by HaroldShand, 23 September 2010 - 03:53 PM.

What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

#2 scotthouston2008

scotthouston2008
  • Coach
  • 563 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

Survival of the fittest, go hard or go home.

#3 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (HaroldShand @ Sep 23 2010, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, I was absolutely horrified at the sight of the Bradford Bulls Pledge 10'000 promotion bus parked in the car park of the Yorkshire Mill Village (less than one mile from Mount Pleasant) in Batley this morning. I understand the bus also visited not only the Birstall area, from where my club draws a good number of fans, but the cente of Dewsbury.
Batley has a professional Rugby League club, as does Dewsbury, and we struggle year after year to attract fans on a miniscule promotional budget. In reality, we have to rely on our on-field success to attract floating, and fickle local supporters.
As well as this cynical and selfish campaign in our towns being both morally and ethically wrong, Batley and Dewsbury are not even located in the same local authority as Bradford.
In 1996, the Batley and Dewsbury clubs lost hundreds of existing and potential fans to Bradford Bulls, following a similarly cynical promotion drive, which included a school visitation programme in the Heavy Woollen district, despite the existence of similar schemes run by our professional sporting organisations.
If any Bradford Bulls supporters wish to bicker with me over their right to advertise in other towns that already have long-standing Rugby League clubs, I would like to ask them how they would feel about, lets say, a Leeds Rhinos drive to attract fans from the Bradford area, which included a blue and amber promotional bus parked in the middle of Forster Square.

They've done nothing wrong - if you don't want a ticket dont pledge - if you do, the bus may just have reminded you that deadline day is not far off.

That's one hell of a rant

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#4 HaroldShand

HaroldShand
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Sep 23 2010, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They've done nothing wrong - if you don't want a ticket dont pledge - if you do, the bus may just have reminded you that deadline day is not far off.

That's one hell of a rant

So you'd be happy to see the Bradford Bulls peddling their cheap season tickets in the middle of Castleford? I bet a large number of your fans, and especially your clubs board of directors, would be deeply unhappy.
What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

#5 HaroldShand

HaroldShand
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (scotthouston2008 @ Sep 23 2010, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Survival of the fittest, go hard or go home.

Without wishing to turn this into a personal slanging match, does this motto explain the roaring success of your own playing career?

#6 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (HaroldShand @ Sep 23 2010, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Without wishing to turn this into a personal slanging match, does this motto explain the roaring success of your own playing career?

Sounds like sour grapes to me!

#7 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

Firstly, I can't understand why we've gone there whilst there are other areas of Bradford he could have gone, like Brighouse etc.

However.

We got slated when we went in and around Halifax in the early years of Super League. Halifax were in Super League. And?

Certain threads on here show why our sport is struggling. A club is proactive but "have to do it in certain areas". It's is a harder point to get across simply because Dewsbury and Batley are lower league. Before anyone slates me that I don't kknow what I am on about or am too biased because I am supporter of a Super League Club - I worked at Batley Bulldogs for 18 months.

The road to proverbial success is there for anyone. Every club can generate there own opportunities. The Bulls are spending money to promote the club. There is one point in that sentence alone.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#8 Agbrigg

Agbrigg
  • Coach
  • 899 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:38 PM

Harold

I wouldn't worry. The fact that they are having to drive around Batley and Dewsbury may show how desperate they are.
Now if you had Leeds in town ,then you may have something to worry about biggrin.gif

#9 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:40 PM

............and in response to Leeds promoting in Bradford they don't need to! There are already a large proportion of people from Bradford support Leeds because we are a fickle lot. happy.gif

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#10 HaroldShand

HaroldShand
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (Mumby Magic @ Sep 23 2010, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Firstly, I can't understand why we've gone there whilst there are other areas of Bradford he could have gone, like Brighouse etc.

However.

We got slated when we went in and around Halifax in the early years of Super League. Halifax were in Super League. And?

Certain threads on here show why our sport is struggling. A club is proactive but "have to do it in certain areas". It's is a harder point to get across simply because Dewsbury and Batley are lower league. Before anyone slates me that I don't kknow what I am on about or am too biased because I am supporter of a Super League Club - I worked at Batley Bulldogs for 18 months.

The road to proverbial success is there for anyone. Every club can generate there own opportunities. The Bulls are spending money to promote the club. There is one point in that sentence alone.

Theres nothing wrong in spending money to promote the club. Just don't spend that money on promoting the Bradford Bulls club in areas outside of Bradford that already have long-established Rugby League clubs that exist on a shoestring budget in terms of everything from player wages to self promotion. As I stressed, our clubs don't have the spending power to fund a glitzy promotional campaign, but that doesn't make it morally and ethically right for Bradford Bulls to pitch up less than a mile from both our respective grounds and start a recrtuitment drive.

#11 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

Yep, harsh. A bit naughty from the Bulls IMHO.

It does highlight the problems of having so many pro RL clubs close together - you're all chasing the same fans. RL strength is also it's weakness. It's easier for clubs in big cities (e.g Leeds), as there are plenty of places to promote. Bradford, Halifax etc are so close together it makes it tough.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#12 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (Mumby Magic @ Sep 23 2010, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When did they move Brighouse into Bradford?

#13 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (HaroldShand @ Sep 23 2010, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Theres nothing wrong in spending money to promote the club. Just don't spend that money on promoting the Bradford Bulls club in areas outside of Bradford that already have long-established Rugby League clubs that exist on a shoestring budget in terms of everything from player wages to self promotion. As I stressed, our clubs don't have the spending power to fund a glitzy promotional campaign, but that doesn't make it morally and ethically right for Bradford Bulls to pitch up less than a mile from both our respective grounds and start a recrtuitment drive.

Yep, I do partly agree with you. It does seem strange to do it in that location. Is there anything wrong with it? Morally? Probably. Literally? No.

#14 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (a.n Other @ Sep 23 2010, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Minute it left Huddersfield, they'll be camping up in Fixby next

Has the bus been upto to silsden/keighley yet? biggrin.gif

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#15 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (a.n Other @ Sep 23 2010, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry in my capacity as Bulls marketing manager it is now. Same as Dewsbury and Batley. tongue.gif

#16 Mortis

Mortis
  • Coach
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (HaroldShand @ Sep 23 2010, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to ask them how they would feel about, lets say, a Leeds Rhinos drive to attract fans from the Bradford area, which included a blue and amber promotional bus parked in the middle of Forster Square.

Well, they can park there if they like but no one will see them as it's now part of the big hole tongue.gif

Beside, I have seen a bus with "that team to the east of Bradford" plastered all over it driving through Bradford.
I'm not mad but I am...

Donkeys forever, forever Donkeys!

#17 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,644 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:13 PM

I take it that Batley aren't applying for a franchise after all then Harold?

Unfortunately many SL fans don't give a stuff for the rest of the game as long as their own club is going to be OK.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#18 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

I was in The Mill at Batley, Scopos or whatever you want to call it, (the shopping centre) Monday before last. On the ground floor there is a sports shop that sold NRL shirts (there was one over the road but it shut). However they had copious amounts of 2009 Hull FC shirts.

And many Leeds Rhinos shirts.

I expect a similar thread any minute.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#19 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

I couldn't find a pic of an angry enough farmer with a pitchfork to compare to Harry.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#20 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:21 AM

Typical bradford.Not enough interest in a city of a few hundred thousand so instead of doing real development and marketing decide to try and get fans from towns where Rugby League is strong. The bulls also raid Halifax and heavy woolen areas for academy players making big promises only to let them rot away and become disillusioned with the game.A good mate of mine at one amateur club in Halifax said they now advise players not to sign with Bradford due to a couple players experiences there.