Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Grand Final: Wigan Warriors v St. Helens

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

Poll: Grand Final: Wigan Warriors v St. Helens (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wigan (27 votes [58.70%])

Percentage of vote: 58.70%

2. St Helens (19 votes [41.30%])

Percentage of vote: 41.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 yehhoo

yehhoo
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Oct 2 2010, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Best team this year, without a doubt.

Congratulations.

Looking forward to next year already.

When you ever going to get penalised for not square marking does Farral know how to

#122 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (Mikeyg @ Oct 2 2010, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was also definitely surprised that Sam Tomkins didn't win the Harry Sunderland trophy - I don't begrudge Leuluai his award and he was very influential, but it wasn't as eye-catching a performance as Sam's.

It's that old English obsession with imports, they have to win all the awards.

Sam Tomkins was the best player by a mile.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#123 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,827 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

Well played Pies, controlled it from the first to the 80th minute. Outstanding GF performance.

#124 saintfrank

saintfrank
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

Well i am a saint who doesnt hide, why should, how many on here thought we would even have got there this term, and the 72,000 almost, showed that we can raise attendances..That said, WELL DONE WIGAN,deserved on the night and the season..We did fluff too many chances that in most games we would put away...But, considering Eastmond and Pryce have been missing for too long i wont knock the lads who stood in, how different it could have been with those two fit and on the field. Now for the internationals, Christmas and next year to focus on..bring it on
Saints Fan from 47 through good and bad times

#125 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,543 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

Massive Well done to all at the Wigan Club.

Enjoy your night.

Fantastic for RL that WIGAN have broken the Saints, Leeds & Bradford monopolyof recent years, it shows it can be done.

Gutted that BOAB Mars Bar and some others will gloating for months.

Made up for the real fans (Shrek, GiWildgo, Hanners & old boy Padge)
{GiWildgo in the doghouse laugh.gif )

#126 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

Wigan's flowing football was a joy to watch. Best side by a country mile and more. As for the Saints, once again they were dire. No spark in the middle of the park and all at sea. Wigan's kicking game was far superior.

#127 The Alchemist

The Alchemist
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:16 PM

Best Wigan performance I have seen for a long time, total control for me, Saiints were never in the game. May have been different with Price and Eastmong at half back but that's the way it goes...................we will enjoy the moment.

Even though our utter, unquestioned dominance in the sport has ended, all Wiganers believe that we are really just indulgently letting the other teams win for a while in order to make it more interesting.

Stuart Maconie, Cider with Roadies

"cause people often talk about being scared of change but for me I'm more afraid of things staying the same cause the game is never won by standing in any one place for too long"

Nick Cave

#128 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:43 PM

Well done to Wigan, fully deserved. Can I just add that as a neutral who goes to every Grand Final, The Wigan support was magnificent tonight not just in number but in volume, it felt to me as if you were an 18th man.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#129 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:36 AM

WHHHOAAARRGGHHH!!!

How good was that?

Becoming Superleague champions and extending the Scousers' Grand Final nightmare all in the space of one evening - turned out nice again!!

Wigan finally get that monkey off their back whilst St Helens' metamorphosises into a giant Silverback Gorrilla.

And it's such a relief to finally be able to unwrap this tin foil from around my head!!

See you next season.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#130 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Oct 3 2010, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WHHHOAAARRGGHHH!!!

How good was that?

Becoming Superleague champions and extending the Scousers' Grand Final nightmare all in the space of one evening - turned out nice again!!

Wigan finally get that monkey off their back whilst St Helens' metamorphosises into a giant Silverback Gorrilla.

And it's such a relief to finally be able to unwrap this tin foil from around my head!!

See you next season.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Slept very soundly. Life has its ups and downs and all taken in one's stride. Wigan, on the night, were far superior. That said, if, at the start of Super League, someone had said we would win twelve major trophies, then I would have sent them packing to an institution.

Life moves on. cool.gif

Edited by Saint Billinge, 03 October 2010 - 07:55 AM.

#131 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,152 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:17 AM

Best team won by a mile. Wigan played all the football and it could have been forty. The one thing that bothered me was the incident where Saints raked the ball in a two man tackle when the Wigan player was about to ground it. for me that wasn't a penalty - it was a penalty try.
Saints dropped far too many passes, missing Pryce and Eastmond, their other key men didn't seem to fire. Graham had a (for him) very quiet game. Not a classic, a bit too one sided for the neutral. The Max Wall contingent behind us left after the hour convinced the game was over - I wasn't - but they were right it was.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#132 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:26 AM

I thought that went very well indeed. Wigan did everything they had to do - make Saints turn around, run at their outside men, keep our discipline. Not sure how it must have looked to a neutral, but our second try was a wonder to behold.
To win the Quintuple - League Champions, GF Winners, 9s, Reserves and Locker Cup. A barely believable haul.
For Saints, they did remarkably well to get there, with no halves and seemingly only 1 centre most of the year. A trick for them is to work out who to develop out of their many good youngsters. Plenty of hope for the future though plenty to ponder.
A couple of things puzzle me - when the ball is stolen as a player crosses the line, why is that not a sin binning? Why did Saints move so many people around to positions they don't normally play?

#133 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:30 AM

Yesterday was a good day. biggrin.gif

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#134 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,929 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:38 AM

Chuffed for the Pies, their efforts during this past season means they deserve to be crowned SL Champs imo.

Didn't think Saints were ever in the game, tbh.

Wigan have two outstanding youngsters in the Tomkins lads, I reckon theirs should be the first names down on the England teamsheet for a while yet.

The minutes' silence was even observed in my local, and I have to say, seeing the image of Terry Newton on the big screen was a very sobering sight and something that will stay with me for a long time.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#135 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (Saint Billinge @ Oct 2 2010, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wigan's flowing football was a joy to watch. Best side by a country mile and more. As for the Saints, once again they were dire. No spark in the middle of the park and all at sea. Wigan's kicking game was far superior.

Spoken like a true gent Ray (no play on words intended!) sorry to see KC's career come to end in such a manner, if you'd been playing anyone bar Wigan I'd have been cheering you on as best as a Wiganer could for that reason alone. Although I suspect we'll see him answering an emergency call in the future and creeping past that 500 game mark some how!

#136 Simon Templar

Simon Templar
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:50 AM

You can't argue that the pies were the best team on the night andfully deserved to win. As a Saints fan though I've got to admit to my frustration that once again we didn't turn up for a GF. I agree with others on here that the acheivement this year was actually getting there.
Only time will tell now if we are in for another period of Wigan domination,or if this was just a one off good season for them. All the same congrats to Wigan,enjoy your trophies,we'll see you in the GF again next year biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#137 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE (shrek @ Oct 3 2010, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Spoken like a true gent Ray (no play on words intended!) sorry to see KC's career come to end in such a manner, if you'd been playing anyone bar Wigan I'd have been cheering you on as best as a Wiganer could for that reason alone. Although I suspect we'll see him answering an emergency call in the future and creeping past that 500 game mark some how!

Outplayed across the park. cool.gif

#138 Simon Templar

Simon Templar
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:57 AM

And now it's gonna be a Wigan v Saints WCC match, erf erf.

#139 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:02 AM

Well done Wigan - much the better team on the night. The only thing that slightly bothers me is that we're heading for another period of Wigan dominating the game.

#140 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:04 AM

Well played Wigan. You ripped us apart & lueluia (sp ph34r.gif ) was instigator of that. Fully deserved the man of the match.

Saints had no pace & it showed. Made very few breaks & struggled to get out of our half. Meli, well what havent I said about him over the last few seasons, as much use as a chocolate teapot. We were poor sad.gif

On the positive side we finished 2nd & if you had have told me that in feb I would have snatched your hand off. Looking at the season as a whole we have done incredibly well given the injuries we have had particularly to our main strike players. The kids that have come in have been brilliant & will be better next year for the experiance. In Jamie Foster we have a gem & cant wait to see him develop further.

We have a new coach & some new players next year so hopefully some changes there will strenghthen us.

Feel heartily sorry for KC but it wasnt meant to be. He is still a legend.

Roll on 2011 biggrin.gif

Posted Image
Progress live tour 10th June 2011

SOME THINGS IN LIFE YOU LOOK BACK ON & THINK THANK ###### I GOT OUT OF THAT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users