Rovers news in the YEP regarding cup match plus update

pont rover

I personally think we should be fielding our strongest side. I think that the players themselves have earned that because of their performances to date.

I am guessing Coady will not play because he would then be cup tied, and I would not take a chance on anyone carrying a niggle, but other than that let's go strong. It will do more for our confidence than damage to our campaign in my opinion.

If Divorty can play reserves Friday and then First Team Sunday, then fitness is not a major concern.

But, I am not a coach... and I trust Daryl to do the best thing for the club.

Anything I post is a personal opinion

Rubbish.

The challenge cup does not belong to our division any more and we are there purely to make up the numbers

Strongest team for league games!

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

Surely this is just mind games. If we do pitch a week team and get absulutly thrashed, then it's guna be complete waste of time and money! If dp is treating it as a kind of friendly, then the entrance fee really should be kinda of friendly priceless. We should be aiming to play at the very best of our ability in every competitive game! Would fev lions play a weekend team in the cup against lets say us, because they are concentrating on their league? Nar!

Featherstone Rovers: league champions 2010...

If dp is treating it as a kind of friendly, then the entrance fee really should be kinda of friendly priceless.

Rob, witht he ticket/bus deal it works out cheaper than friendly prices!!!

We have to be canny. If by resting players we maintain the league momentum - that gets my vote and makes sense to me. A GF appearance is achieveable, and on current form winnable - beating Warrington is highly unlikely, winning the cup certainly is impossible!!

No. Head must rule heart. I'll go with Daryl's thoughts - his team selection will be giving him some concerns this week

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Rob, witht he ticket/bus deal it works out cheaper than friendly prices!!!

We have to be canny. If by resting players we maintain the league momentum - that gets my vote and makes sense to me. A GF appearance is achieveable, and on current form winnable - beating Warrington is highly unlikely, winning the cup certainly is impossible!!

No. Head must rule heart. I'll go with Daryl's thoughts - his team selection will be giving him some concerns this week

We've never rested players before in big cup matches rob, and I really can't see him doing it Sunday. It's only a game injuries can happen in any game. I bet tolouse or any other team for that matter, don't 'rest' any one, for their cup finals.But we will see mate.

Featherstone Rovers: league champions 2010...

We've never rested players before in big cup matches rob

We havent been top of the league and unbeaten in a while either!

At this stage last season we were sauntering along, had been stuffed at home by haven and beaten by Fax and werent setting the league alight, this season its a different story

From the article i get the impression DP is letting the players have the final say, if they want to play i reckon they will get picked, some of them may not start however and will get short spells

Edited by elppaxr2i

Rubbish.

The challenge cup does not belong to our division any more and we are there purely to make up the numbers

Spot on mate. We are simply makeweights in this competition, for me Thurs match is far more important. I'm going knowing full well that DP will pick a side with Thurs match very much in mind, and that's the correct thing to do. For me Sunday is about a good old FEV jolly up with me mates. And i'll applaud our lads off the pitch no matter what the result. Cos really it's of no importance to us. I want to be back there in the GF and as league winners and anything else is a distraction.

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

We've never rested players before in big cup matches rob, and I really can't see him doing it Sunday. It's only a game injuries can happen in any game. I bet tolouse or any other team for that matter, don't 'rest' any one, for their cup finals.But we will see mate.

His thinking is probably that a tough encounter on the Sunday followed up by a league game only 4 days later is not a risk worth taking. If the Toulouse game had been on the Sunday, then maybe we might have put a stronger team out.

Didn't we put a bit of weaker side out when we played away at Catalans? Sure we had a young kid playing at half back - his name escapes me though!

Rubbish.

concur

is there life beyond fev--- andy thorpe

Isnt there a rule against playing weakened sides. I recall St Helens getting into bother recently for putting a weakened side out at Bradford. Still Im all for it on this occasion. Did you see what our weakened side did at Hunslet? I know Warrington arent Hunslet but any of our squad will give a good account of itself nowadays.

Maybe it's time to give Zak a full run out then and see what he really can do!

I don't agree Cliff. Zak is one of our rising stars and to throw him in against SL players is asking too much of him. I remember us playing a weakened side up at Whitehaven and it resulted in one of our young players being severely set back in his progress. As DP says Zak needs to put on some muscle mass. Bet he'd love to play though.

If our ultimate goal is to acheive SL, we have to have the Championship under our belts. To pick up two or three injuries to key players would not help our cause. If this occurred, God forbid, I can well see the clamour which would follow on our forum. Assuming that we do beat them!!!!, we would only benefit from gate monies in the next round, with the tilt at the Championship down the river.

I would certainly back DP if he decided to have a sprinkling of reserves out there. We have a tough game on Thursday.

The question has to be what is the most important issue for the club?

- Put up a good performance against one of the best SL clubs at the moment - win some admiration from OTHER fans and then potentially struggle 4 days later, or...

- Concentrate on the leaugue which we have only this season and next to get to the Grand Final to be able to apply for a SL license. Why take your focus of the major goal for the club for the sake of winning an early round of the cup which we have next to no chance of winning anyway!

Can someone clarify a point.

The teams that win / get to a final and tick another of the S/L box's. Once the 3 years is up and the next round of franchises are issued, does that go out the window for the unsuccessful and we all start again with a clean slate or is it still 'in the bank'????

The weak conform, the strong survive.

Well I know I am in the minority here.... but to win a Franchise you build a case. To put out a weakened side and get beat by 60 gives ammunition to the clubs we will be competing with.

To play our best team and get beat by 26 builds a case that the investment we require to compete in SL is less.

I just do not think we should be worried about Toulouse. We have enough strength in depth in the event that we do pick up a couple of injuries. We have had a light load over Easter, we do not have the NRC to fit in and this will probably be our last challange cup game..... plus we will only have one play-off game this season ;) . Over working our players is not a major issue for us - relatively.

Anything I post is a personal opinion

Can someone clarify a point.

The teams that win / get to a final and tick another of the S/L box's. Once the 3 years is up and the next round of franchises are issued, does that go out the window for the unsuccessful and we all start again with a clean slate or is it still 'in the bank'????

My understanding is that all the clubs start from scratch again.

His thinking is probably that a tough encounter on the Sunday followed up by a league game only 4 days later is not a risk worth taking. If the Toulouse game had been on the Sunday, then maybe we might have put a stronger team out.

Didn't we put a bit of weaker side out when we played away at Catalans? Sure we had a young kid playing at half back - his name escapes me though!

Scott Glassell

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

No-one seems to have commened on the fact that Toulouse themsleves have a tough CC tie against St Helens this weekend. Agreed they have one more day recovery time but surely this needs to be taken into concideration.

< - Always remember, without experiencing the lows you don't really appreciate the highs - >

No-one seems to have commened on the fact that Toulouse themsleves have a tough CC tie against St Helens this weekend. Agreed they have one more day recovery time but surely this needs to be taken into concideration.

On the flip side nobody seems to have commented on the fact that Toulouse beat Widnes last week!

AT LAST SOMEBODY WANTS TO HELP US!!! Time to look to the future! The Only Way is UP!

sliggster1.gif

On the flip side nobody seems to have commented on the fact that Toulouse beat Widnes last week!

I feel the championship comes first. But - copuld DP be playing mind games? If he convinces Warrington we are putting out a weak side. Warrington might do likewise. Then who knows?

Well I know I am in the minority here.... but to win a Franchise you build a case. To put out a weakened side and get beat by 60 gives ammunition to the clubs we will be competing with.

To play our best team and get beat by 26 builds a case that the investment we require to compete in SL is less.

I just do not think we should be worried about Toulouse. We have enough strength in depth in the event that we do pick up a couple of injuries. We have had a light load over Easter, we do not have the NRC to fit in and this will probably be our last challange cup game..... plus we will only have one play-off game this season ;) . Over working our players is not a major issue for us - relatively.

Sorry Ovo but i've got to disagree with most of what you say. To win a franchise you don't need to "build a case" you just need to tick all the boxes. i.e. Income, crowds, facilities, GF place or NRC win etc. Losing by 26 or 60 points makes no difference to what we need to achieve to apply for a licence as success in the Cup is not a requirement. And to say "we should not be worried about Toulouse" is just the sort of attitude we don't want. I bet Widnes thought that. This division is very competetive and i know we have had a great start but we should be treating every game as a cup final. As for saying "we will only have one play-off game this season", well i hope the players and coaching staff don't think like that. Leaving out some of our most influential players is commonsense. The Toulouse match is more important by far.