NYCRL - Implications for the salary cap

4 hours ago, damp squib said:

In the off season? Of course.

In any case it's not hypothetical in the case of Toronto.

You might as well ask what the implications are for global warming and the price of bread. Your original question is entirely hypothetical as it requires either or both to get into SL coupled with your expectation that the salary cap would be affected. IMHO that should be the least of our concerns.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You might as well ask what the implications are for global warming and the price of bread. Your original question is entirely hypothetical as it requires either or both to get into SL coupled with your expectation that the salary cap would be affected. IMHO that should be the least of our concerns.

I'm really not getting your objection here.

It is highly likely that Toronto will get promoted next year. Are you saying we should ignore this until it becomes an issue? To be honest I should have left SL out of it as the salary cap is the same for the Championship. Toronto are at a disadvantage in signing players because the amount that they can pay their players is less in real terms compared to their rivals due to higher cost of living in Toronto. I know we are all extremely concerned about a level playing field on this forum so I thought it was relevant.

To use your analogy, I would certainly hope that those in charge are asking about the implications of global warming on the price of bread now, rather than a few years time when the food riots begin.

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

Where do you get that information from?

After hours of thorough searching I finally manged to write "Toronto Wolpfack" in my google search bar and clicked on the Wikipedia link to get this highly coveted information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Wolfpack

You're welcome :tongue:

2 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

After hours of thorough searching I finally manged to write "Toronto Wolpfack" in my google search bar and clicked on the Wikipedia link to get this highly coveted information.

Which in turn cites...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/big-read-toronto-wolfpack-best-little-startup-sports/

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Good God!!!!

I think that this magical "internet" can actually be used to gather information almost instantly and not just for funny cat videos and forum posts!?!?

We must spread the word!!!

Everyone...write your pen pals!

If my understanding is correct that we are to see a major restructuring of the league post 2018 season, plus we are to see at least 2 new entrants to RL commencing 2019, then I have to suspect at that time the salary cap will be revised as well.

I understand the reasons for the cap given the historical disparities in club finances.  I think of RL wants to become more then a niche sport with a niche audience (other then NRL) matters such as the salary cap will have to be drastically revised. High caliber athletic talent desires high wages.

Sadly for me, the entire thread on the NYC club opened and was closed before I ever got to chip in my 2 cents worth. :sad:  I guess once it becomes "official" I will get an opportunity to contribute in whatever new thread comes at that time.  Suffice to say in the interim that if one of the new entrants is confirmed to be New York, the other definitely will not be Hamilton - what a buzzkill that would be following New York! :D

it was never going to be Hamilton. Someone must have just found out that it was a steel city not far from TO and decided that it's a proper rugger town because of it.

It's Montreal, get ready for some poutine folks!!!

7 hours ago, Jace said:

I think the salary cap will increase with North American networks bidding for rights. Then Super League will compete with the NRL and French RU in the short term, and also hopefully surpass them in the long term

Having them bid for rights is key though. I’m not sure they are even aware of the sport.

4 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

Thank you for the link. I'm still a bit suspect that stingy SL clubs won't try and claw back some of the costs via the TV distribution but maybe they're starting to see a bigger picture.

I didn't know about the $500,000 expansion fee paid to the RFL, is it common knowledge that that was actually paid? I bet some of the club chairmen would like to know where it went!

28 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Thank you for the link. I'm still a bit suspect that stingy SL clubs won't try and claw back some of the costs via the TV distribution but maybe they're starting to see a bigger picture.

I didn't know about the $500,000 expansion fee paid to the RFL, is it common knowledge that that was actually paid? I bet some of the club chairmen would like to know where it went!

Odsal!!

6 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

From that link (no references though):

“There are agreements in place to broadcast the 2018 season in China, Brazil and Australia.”

Archived