Seasons hopes

Hate the rec

With the season just around the corner, what's peoples hopes for the season ahead, here's mine;

1,  We improve on last years league position, I think this is achievable.  

2,  We don't get any serious injury's  to key players. need our main players all playing regular.

3,  We improve attendances, this needs to happen if we are to further improve as a club.

4,  Think we need two further backs, centre/winger and a half back , don't know if there's any money left or we get DR but think we still need some back up in these areas, forwards should be fine .

5,  The score board finally gets fixed, this improves the match day experience.

6,  Players don't take mid- season holidays, they know when the season starts and ends so this shouldn't really be happening.

7,  The sun comes out on Sundays, nothing better than standing in the scratching shed with a pint with the sun beating down watching a match.

8,  Latu can finally show us what we want to see, really hope he can shake these injury's off, we will have a massive pack when all fit.

9,  A good run in the CC would be nice, its been a long time.

10 , Brian Ritson stops saying eh, when being interview on match days ;)

I don't think am asking for to much ,I cant wait for the start, bring it on :dancer:

to have more composure in away games , discipline cuts down the penalty count , better ball handling and cut out the kicking out on the full , if this can be sorted then the away games (with a much bigger pack this season ) can be a much closer affair and even the odd points up for grabs .

With the season just around the corner, what's peoples hopes for the season ahead, here's mine;

1,  We improve on last years league position, I think this is achievable.  

2,  We don't get any serious injury's  to key players. need our main players all playing regular.

3,  We improve attendances, this needs to happen if we are to further improve as a club.

4,  Think we need two further backs, centre/winger and a half back , don't know if there's any money left or we get DR but think we still need some back up in these areas, forwards should be fine .

5,  The score board finally gets fixed, this improves the match day experience.

6,  Players don't take mid- season holidays, they know when the season starts and ends so this shouldn't really be happening.

7,  The sun comes out on Sundays, nothing better than standing in the scratching shed with a pint with the sun beating down watching a match.

8,  Latu can finally show us what we want to see, really hope he can shake these injury's off, we will have a massive pack when all fit.

9,  A good run in the CC would be nice, its been a long time.

10 , Brian Ritson stops saying eh, when being interview on match days ;)

I don't think am asking for to much ,I cant wait for the start, bring it on :dancer:

1. It will be very hard, but not impossible, to improve on last years finishing position.  When we look back at silly points dropped last season, especially to the Rams and Hunslet at home and also Sheffield which were all games within our grasp but for our own errors.

2. It goes without saying that we hope and pray that all our squad get through the season unscathed.

3. We, as a club, need to work on this locally and try and get our attendances up.    We all have a part to play, by talking up the club and the progress we have made, in pubs and clubs and on social media and it would help if we got a bit more newspaper and radio promotion and in local supermarkets every now and again.

4. Extra revenue through the turnstiles could very well be the springboard for new recruits in our backs but if it doesn't happen then we have to go with what we have.  With four home games in our first 6 matches I would hope to see gates improve every week on week and hopefully when we do get a good gate the players don't put on one of their worst performances that has happened so many times in the past.

5. I thought someone posted that they had been working on the scoreboard so maybe that will be working again.  Hooray.

6. They shouldn't have been taking mid-season breaks full stop.

7. Goes without saying.

8. This is one of my major hopes that we see the real Latu Fifita and Ryan Verlinden and if we do with the lads we have already then our pack should fear no-one.

9. One good home draw against a top SL club would be great for the finances at the club but you have to win the early round games to earn that chance.

10. Brian can say "eh" as many times as he wants for me AS LONG AS WE ARE WINNING THE GAME, haha.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

If we lose to Sheffield the home support will go reduce for the following home game I guarantee it.

only if its a hammering , which i cant see , if its close and exciting then people will be back , can you name the last time town beat sheffield ? so it would be a brilliant start to come very close or even win .

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe sheffield are full time now and will have recruited so I expect them to be at peak fitness so it will not be an easy game but certainly winnable. Although we still need to see who is available for town. Sammut? B.philips? Matty? Etc.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe sheffield are full time now and will have recruited so I expect them to be at peak fitness so it will not be an easy game but certainly winnable. Although we still need to see who is available for town. Sammut? B.philips? Matty? Etc.

Someone said Brett have broken his hand , has this been confirmed by the club ??

i think matty is the most possible.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

My hopes for the season is that the club continues as it has for a few seasons to be better both on and off the field.

In the last few years every season has been another step forward, so hopefully this will be no different. I'm sure an increase in attendances will be the icing on the cake for the BOD and allow a much bigger step in future. So if you know anyone who has stopped going give them a nudge to give it another chance.

I know sponsorship of the games is always hard to fill at the start of the season so get a few mates together and give Barry Scholey a call, it's a great experience, good food in the sponsors lounge and not as expensive as you might expect when you split it between everyone.

My other hopes are for us to see big Latu silence his doubters, Sam and Tee to really push each other along with Brett and Jack for starting places. Matty to have an injury free season, and finally Mr Sammut to show what he can do for the full season so we see plenty of back flips in the derby's! By the way gave the singer's got a song for him yet? If not what about the "just can't get enough" that Suarez used to have.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

would be happy if we consolidate our league position . would like more openess and better communication between the club and fans . i .e .knocking rumours on the head when they appear . as of now....brett p s apparent hand injury and stacks rib injury....fact or fiction .......on the subject of attendances i have badgered ex town fans to death to come down and watch town again , i ve offered to give them lifts to games etc. to no avail . we must start with the schools and try and build a younger fan base . i believe that once you get out of the habit of going to matcnes , you don t go back .

You are right ivans82 we do need to get the kids more involved but I think we have to offer them more than just coming along to watch Town.    Until they reach a certain age they very rarely stand and watch a game and just want to run around or have a bag of chips, etc.   Maybe if the club had junior teams playing against the local amateur clubs juniors at various age groups then they would start to feel much more a part of the Town set-up.   I played at DP from age of 16 in the Town B Under 19's team, alongside Bill Kirkbride and Rodney Smith, etc, and we got to mix with the star players we had in those days which made us feel ten feet tall. 

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Aye I still remember playing curtain raisers for Derwent Park Rangers and having my photo taken with Lynn Hopkins and Billy Patt. It must have stuck somewhere with me!

Me too, getting new training gear sponsored by Yankees just before going to ballboy in a ###### storm.

Aye I still remember playing curtain raisers for Derwent Park Rangers and having my photo taken with Lynn Hopkins and Billy Patt. It must have stuck somewhere with me!

We were asked to train against the first team one night and I remember jumping for a high ball against Brian Edgar and I caught my little finger in his jersey and dislocating it.    I tell you I went round telling everyone for years after that I did it on Brian Edgar's shoulder.  Haha happy days.

only if its a hammering , which i cant see , if its close and exciting then people will be back , can you name the last time town beat sheffield ? so it would be a brilliant start to come very close or even win .

With players supposedly dropping out Willy nilly we will be struggling and the crowds could then reflect a poor start. They only just beat us by 2 last season. I know they are now full time but they still have to gel!!

Archived