EU referendum, if it didn't go the way you vote, what would you do......

Ok, just to take the heat out of the situation and put things in perspective, say the worst case scenario happens and it doesn't go your way. What would your thoughts be?

For mine, I would be disappointed but life goes on. I would hope the closeness of the vote makes the EU look at themselves and ask why things were so close and (probably after god knows how many years) sort itself out.

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

I'd take a couple of weeks of leave and spend it with the TV off so I don't have to see the gloating faces of some of the most distasteful people in politics.

Then I'd see if the NHS has jobs in Scotland for me and actively support a second Scottish referendum!

p.s. this is a very valid separate topic, it's a look-forward one that'd just confuse the main one.  Keep the points separate and we'll all get along fine.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I'd take a couple of weeks of leave and spend it with the TV off so I don't have to see the gloating faces of some of the most distasteful people in politics.

Then I'd see if the NHS has jobs in Scotland for me and actively support a second Scottish referendum!

p.s. this is a very valid separate topic, it's a look-forward one that'd just confuse the main one.  Keep the points separate and we'll all get along fine.

no gloating from me matey, if it does happen and there are not any likeable characters involved from either side

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

no gloating from me matey, if it does happen and there are not any likeable characters involved from either side

No, I don't really expect the normal people to gloat, just imagine more of this though:

article-2217355-156BDB50000005DC-640_306

IDS.jpg

127256860_Farage_410438b.jpg

0CF6E7E400000514-3165988-Favourite_Boris

article-0-0E6004EF00000578-913_634x621.j

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Oh I think I'll allow myself a gloat...

But overwhelmingly a sigh of relief if we're to remain....

Same here.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Ok, just to take the heat out of the situation and put things in perspective, say the worst case scenario happens and it doesn't go your way. What would your thoughts be?

For mine, I would be disappointed but life goes on. I would hope the closeness of the vote makes the EU look at themselves and ask why things were so close and (probably after god knows how many years) sort itself out.

This.

As I'm voting Remain, if it goes the other way I'll be left bitterly disappointed and fearing the consequences.

As I'm not rich enough to insulate myself from those consequences, I'll just have to hope that all the stuff the Brexiters have promised about how wonderful the future will be for us all, and how we won't miss anything about our membership of the EU, turn out to be true, rather than a bunch of lies to further the careers of a handful of over ambitious right wing politicians who don't give a stuff about the majority of people they've just duped into voting to leave.

As I'm voting Remain, if it goes the other way I'll be left bitterly disappointed and fearing the consequences.

As I'm not rich enough to insulate myself from those consequences, I'll just have to hope that all the stuff the Brexiters have promised about how wonderful the future will be for us all, and how we won't miss anything about our membership of the EU, turn out to be true, rather than a bunch of lies to further the careers of a handful of over ambitious right wing politicians who don't give a stuff about the majority of people they've just duped into voting to leave.

close to the wire that post................craig are you watching? Some people eh :ph34r:

I'm probably in a minority in thinking that they aren't doing it to further their careers. I think they actually believe what they say.

As somebody who works in education, I'm not surprised to hear Gove say that the people are sick of experts. That was his approach to education too, he knew better and he knew where the priorities should be even if the vast majority of academics disagreed. The much maligned Grammar test, where 6 year olds are expected to know what an expanded noun phrase is, is a result of this way of thinking. 

close to the wire that post................craig are you watching? Some people eh :ph34r:

If you ask how someone will feel, don't be surprised by an emotive response.

My view is that it would have been better to start a thread like this after the result is known.

For me personally, the impact would be limited.  That is thanks to having Irish citizenship, so I will still be a member of the EU.  As I have a home and job in Denmark, that is no small thing.  In the short term, it will cost me a few hundred pounds but no more.

I agree with Maximus Decimus that I believe the top of the Leave campaign are sincere.  Even when they are telling outrageous lies, it is a way to get the broader truth across.  That is in part because they believe the future of Great Britain will be secure once the country's finest (who will also happen to be among the poshest) are allowed full rein.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

If you ask how someone will feel, don't be surprised by an emotive response.

My view is that it would have been better to start a thread like this after the result is known.

It was sir, meant to try and difuse the heat from the other debate. In as much as  I was after honest opinions based on an unknown situation. Hopefully people didn't have the position of being bitter and twisted as they would have been on friday

It was sir, meant to try and difuse the heat from the other debate. In as much as  I was after honest opinions based on an unknown situation. Hopefully people didn't have the position of being bitter and twisted as they would have been on friday

Aye, that's how I took it, I didn't really see it as a negative.

Good luck with that.

I think on Friday, knowing the result and the margin of victory/defeat, people would be in a far better position to explain how they feel about it, than two days before when the outcome is still unknown, the campaigns are still raging and votes are still to be decided.

My honest guess is that this thread will, within a couple of pages, look no different to the other one.

Good luck with that.

I think on Friday, knowing the result and the margin of victory/defeat, people would be in a far better position to explain how they feel about it, than two days before when the outcome is still unknown, the campaigns are still raging and votes are still to be decided.

My honest guess is that this thread will, within a couple of pages, look no different to the other one.

You go girl!

If we do vote leave I'll be extremely happy if my views of what will happen to us in that event are completely proved to be wrong.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Good luck with that.

Nope, someone can start their own "haha up yours" thread on friday

I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to shoot me down, but either way the vote goes, at a local level I'm not sure personally I'll notice any difference day to day.

If we leave, no doubt we'll feel the wrath of Osbourne, but then locally the council have been playing that card for years already, but can never back it up with when pushed.  Then of course if we stay, we'll feel the wrath of Osbourne anyway because he knows in places like Wigan he doesn't need to chase votes and the opposition know they don't have to pick a fight with him here because its in the bag for them what ever they do.

Not meaning to be a miserable git just dispondent, battle weary and cynical, struggling to see the positives either way!

I'm under no illusions, whether we stay or leave we'll be ruled by a set of crooks. But I'd rather know that I could potentially vote to get rid of some of them and let some new crooks in for a bit. We won't have that option with whoever it is that rules from Europe.

The current British government was elected by less than a quarter of the electorate. 

The House of Lords is totally unelected.

As is our Head of State.

Yes *our*.

But if you're unhappy about that, why are you OK with having yet more unelected busy bodies sticking their oar in?

Its like those Scots who don't want to be ruled by London but are fine with Brussels doing it. Doesn't make sense. Well it does to the handful of career politicians like Sturgeon and co who will do very nicely out of it.

This belongs in the other thread, John.

But to answer your point, I'm politically active, trying to change things, not just grumbling about the way our society is run and its lack of democratic accountability. I may well be banging my head against a wall, but I am trying. If more people did, our democracy would be stronger for it.

The EU isn't undemocratic. It just suits certain agendas to claim that it is. Nigel Farage managed to get elected to the European Parliament. Something he hasn't managed in five attempts in this country.

Archived