Uninteresting Trivial Facts

My dad's brother's obit is in the Guardian's "Other Lives" today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2010...d-rose-obituary

Sounds like an interesting bloke. This was posted in response to Gordon Brown's piece in today's Guardian:

Yesterday I attended the funeral of David Rose, whose obituary appeared in the ?Other Lives? section of this paper on Thursday. http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2010...d-rose-obituary

David chose to drop out of a well-paid job and worked chiefly as a barman ? a job which can be of great social value if done with care for regulars and visitors. This gave David time to spend with his family and friends, for community projects, for poetry and for life itself. The funeral was packed with people whose lives had been touched by him ? when the seats were all taken people stood, continually moving back so that more and more people could find a small space. Many had made long and difficult journeys in icy weather but David had often gone far out of his way to help people he encountered. As speakers remembered David, read poems he had written and recalled words which meant much to him, we celebrated a life that was rich, generous and loving. We resolved to do our best to care for others as David had done. The words most frequently spoken were, ?He was a good man.?

David?s life ran counter to New Labour?s narrow view of aspiration based only on competition and financial reward. David chose not to take part in that competition and rejected a life run solely for money. His life shows up the shallowness of what Gordon Brown ? and many other politicians ? offer us as ?motivation? and reminds me that there are more important forms of ?aspiration?. It?s often the ?losers? in the competitive view of life ? and those who choose not to compete ? who have most value to friends, neighbours, communities and the wider world.

Link here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...art-of-comments

Somebody let the two farm dogs loose again with some mood music, a romantic dvd, and a comfy room.

Anyone want a puppy?

Sometimes I despair. The barrel beckons again....

:huh: should i have a read a previous post to make sense of that?

:D

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

you can't buy pull switches for bathroom lights in france.

because they allow normal switches in bathrooms (as well as live open sockets!!!! :O )

which is fine until the pull switch, that was there when you arrived, breaks

:huh: should i have a read a previous post to make sense of that?

Its late and cold here :P

Previous post was about 8 months ago. Do try and keep up. :D

Now, do you want a beauceron / collie cross puppy?

Its late and cold here :P

Previous post was about 8 months ago. Do try and keep up. :D

Now, do you want a beauceron / collie cross puppy?

House full of kittens here ...so not right now mate :D

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

The latest Transworld Sport programme (accidentally viewed while flicking sport channels) has a section on a pie eating contest in Wigan. All full of controversy over gravy tampering and disputes over ingredients.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The latest Halifax advert is very annoying indeed

You're not kidding.

You wonder if they've deliberately set out to make it as annoying as possible so it sticks in your mind.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

At the Carcassonne versus FCL game today there was more than a smattering of English speakers. Among the 3250 crowd were me, our French correspondent, Frank, Jim, six people with darn sarf accents, that bloke from Catalans Sport Tours who is a top fella, and some bloke from that other RL website. Lea (aged 6) is practising her English. She really enjoyed her Nutella flavoured crepe.