What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Bobby Farrell........... he had the best "entering the dance floor" moves

He'll be missed, not least for his weird beard/cape/dancing in 'Rasputin'.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

They had that massive Billboard No.1 with "Centrefold". Couple of years earlier Devo had tackled similar themes in their more idiosyncratic way with "Penetration in the Centrefold".

Centerfold was after they'd re-invented their sound and look a bit for the Eighties. Whammer Jammer was the original style of the band.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lockdown has been for most of us. Coping has taken.many forms.

This forum as an example, has been a good way of communicating with those of us with an affliction towards RL. Music is another constant. I've picked some gems up off this thread over the last year.

Today I'm back in my youth... 1973...2nd form.... William hague sat in front of me in Latin.. its wishbone Ash.... argus( yes again) and a very underrated there's the rub.

For all his limitations the wishbone Ash sound was as much msrtin turners vocals as it was Andy Powell exponents on the flying V.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Argus is brilliant. For me though, that`s where it begins and ends for Wishbone Ash.

There is little doubt that Argus was the pinnacle of their achievement.  But, I find gems on all all of their albums up until front page news.... some great tracks on each album

• Like 1

For the last few weeks, I have been drifting off to sleep with random-play recordings of the Radio 4 series 'This Sceptred Isle', which covers 2,000 years of history. Beautifully presented historical vignettes, and maybe some of it'll seep in while I sleep.

Top-class thespian talent narrate throughout, and the original series was 216 episodes long. Then they created some more... the 'Empire' series alone was another 90 episodes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

For the last few weeks, I have been drifting off to sleep with random-play recordings of the Radio 4 series 'This Sceptred Isle', which covers 2,000 years of history. Beautifully presented historical vignettes, and maybe some of it'll seep in while I sleep.

Top-class thespian talent narrate throughout, and the original series was 216 episodes long. Then they created some more... the 'Empire' series alone was another 90 episodes.

I remember "This sceptred Isle". It prompted me to take out and re-read Arthur Bryant`s "Set in a Silver Sea". Sometime in the 90s. The series went on that long, it became as much a fixture of the schedule as "Sailing By". And one of those things you took for granted, then missed when it disappeared.

I`m curious to know whether others have, like me, been getting more of their money`s worth out of their record collection over the past few months. Partly directly due to lockdown, but in addition I`m so bored with Covid I`ve more or less stopped watching or listening to news and current affairs programmes.

If anyone`s interested, I`ve just enjoyed a soothing and eclectic evening in the company of The Wipers, Gillian Welch, King Tubby, The Bats, and the Fatback Band.

9 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

atomic rooster

There`s a surviving TOTP clip of Atomic Rooster doing "Tomorrow Night". The mind can play tricks, but I swear I remember seeing it as an infant at the time. Similarly, I`m sure I remember seeing Free do "Alright Now".

In among the manifold other offerings, what seems to have registered most vividly from being weaned on TOTP are hairy rock bands and Pan`s People.