full back

dydo

imo Zak Hardacre with his pace, reading of the game in attack and defence and faultless ball retrieval would be a revelation at full back especially against teams with a very good kicking game ie Barrow in the big games coming up against them , any opinions

Edited by dydo

I can see why you think Zac would be good at full back, but Hardman is the safer more experienced option . Zac has qualities that good wing men need and he is good under the high ball, which is a major feature of todays way of playing. The lad is still young and his best position might not be known for a couple of years yet, that's why the club gave him a long contract.

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

<br /><font color="#000080">I can see why you think Zac would be good at full back, but Hardman is the safer more experienced option . Zac has qualities that good wing men need and he is good under the high ball, which is a major feature of todays way of playing. The lad is still young and his best position might not be known for a couple of years yet, that's why the club gave him a long contract.</font><br />
<br /><br /><br />

i've seen this lad play fullback Bob, and believe me, he's the real McCoy.

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

<br /><br /><br />

Agreed, always puts in a 'crisp' performance.

The weak conform, the strong survive.

<br /><br /><br />

Absolutely old fella! He seriously is the business at FB! Saying that, Hardo does nowt wrong either! Luxury eh?

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

<br />Agreed, always puts in a 'crisp' performance.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

talk about reaping what you sow.

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

IMO Zak wasted on the wing. Worth remembering that he has only ever played wing in last few months while with 1st team. When you watch him play FB its obviously his 'natural' position. An opportunity at FB in first team would be a chance to show what he can really do! Being a utility player is not always what its cracked up to be, less chance to hone your skills in preferred position, however Hardman playin well so difficult choices!!

Cant understand why you would change Hardman, he is one of the best number 1s we have ever had, and by far the best fullback in our league. Faultless all season and if we didnt have so many brilliant players then he would have walked away with the player of the season award. Zaks turn will come to amaze us with his skills.

Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

Tommy is also a good fullback, are you saying he's wasted on the wing as well????

How many times this seaon have either Zak or Tommy taken a high ball under pressure to save a certain try? Thats one of the benefits of having 'fullbacks' for 'wingers'.

The weak conform, the strong survive.

Cant understand why you would change Hardman, he is one of the best number 1s we have ever had,

eh????

Err Bill, I know it's warm outside but............

Hardo is a good FB. Safe as houses and is proving a great acquisition for rovers. One of our solid, injury free, hard as nails, and likelable players. A really good lad!

However, best we've had???

Kellet, Boxy, Bibb, Collins etc................. not as good as Hardo???

Geeeeeoovvvvver wi thi nar Bill!!! :P

Edited by Robin Evans

Cant understand why you would change Hardman, he is one of the best number 1s we have ever had, and by far the best fullback in our league. Faultless all season and if we didnt have so many brilliant players then he would have walked away with the player of the season award. Zaks turn will come to amaze us with his skills.

Harold Box is the best iv ever seen in a Rovers shirt he was 1 of my heros as a nipper, Chris Bibb was a close 2nd however. As for Hardman he is a good full back at the level we are now playing at. We must remember Rovers for the majority of there history played at the top level, played in 5 challenge cup finals,numerous semi finals won the league and beat the touring Australian side. I think Barrie mcdermott should be told of this because he stated when commentating the other night "Featherstone are in the best form in there history" sorry but been in the 2nd tier of the English game is not the best form in our history

Edited by LOWFIELD

Collins was class , first time i saw Zak play i said he reminded me of him

Gary Cooper was a good Full ack as well, he just happens to be Kath hetherington's brother. I once saw him take the ball on his own line and slice through the opposition to score.

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

Mark LP, who was voted that fav full back of all time in that forum poll you did a couple of years back?

Different full backs had different qualities. We put up a Freddie Miller gate because of his outstanding kicking. Gary Cooper was an outstanding full back going forward but didn't have the defensive qualities of Box or Collins. Another very good fullback was Barraclough. You also have to take into consideration what was the standard of team they were playing in. If the team was not so good then the fullback would be always tackling if the team was good then an attacking fullback came into his own. Kekkett was a good all rounder. Hardaker has developing skills. If we played him at at fullback where would you play Hardman? Let him develop those skills in diffenr positions and that will make him an excellent allround player. My only hope is that we keep him for a while yet.

Gary Cooper was a good Full ack as well, he just happens to be Kath hetherington's brother. I once saw him take the ball on his own line and slice through the opposition to score.

Absolutely correct, it was against Castleford. I will never ever forget that try.

Mark LP, who was voted that fav full back of all time in that forum poll you did a couple of years back?

My favourite was Bibby, no doubt. I saw the end of Box's career too and he was class. My dad rated Fred Miller, past it though they thought he was when he came here. Jackie Fennell was his favourite though.

I like Hardman, solid & dependable like any good FB should be. Zak looks a cracking prospect.

Robin, that vote went....

FULL BACK

Freddie Miller [ 5 ]

Jackie Fennell [ 5 ]

Gary Cooper [ 5 ]

Cyril Kellett [ 7 ]

Harold Box [ 7 ]

Nigel Barker [ 1 ]

Chris Bibb [ 23 ]

Steve Collins [ 8 ]

Total Votes: 61

IMO Zak wasted on the wing. Worth remembering that he has only ever played wing in last few months while with 1st team. When you watch him play FB its obviously his 'natural' position. An opportunity at FB in first team would be a chance to show what he can really do! Being a utility player is not always what its cracked up to be, less chance to hone your skills in preferred position, however Hardman playin well so difficult choices!!

if a player is wasted on the wing bu still picks up 8 tries in a season then clearly we should sack DP and hand the rains over to yourself..... :rolleyes: lol

YOU CANT CRUSH PRIDE!!!!

A season dedicated to Gareth John Swift

League winners 2010

if a player is wasted on the wing bu still picks up 8 tries in a season then clearly we should sack DP and hand the rains over to yourself..... :rolleyes: lol

Many of the best half backs and loose forwards in the game have started their professional careers on the wing and then moved inside as they gain experience. Zak has a good turn of pace and good hands under the high ball to the corner and won't suffer at all from an apprenticeship on the wing.

< - Always remember, without experiencing the lows you don't really appreciate the highs - >

Robin I did say 1 of the best fullbacks which I stand by. I never said THE best fullback. I remember Chris Bibb and many before him but Ian at the moment is faultless as many of his team mates are also. Zaks time WILL come, but at the moment Ian has to keep the number 1 slot .

Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

Can't see that there are any decisions to make myself, Hardman is a fine full back and has lots of years left in him at only 24, Zak isn't wasted on the wing he's scored something like 11 tries in 8 games...... that to me sounds like a good return not a waste.......... they've kept these positions all season and with 15 wins and 1 loss i'd say the coaching set up know what they're on about so why throw this into the mix at this stage in the season?

PAUL GIBBINS

Wall and Floor Tiling

Plastering

Bathroom fitting

Fencing

Guttering

Insurance work

Free Quotes

www.funkytilers.co.uk

Totally agree Paul. Dont think we have ever had a more total team /squad before due to us traditionally being a selling club to survive, we have cover for every position as has been proven in recent weeks. What a team, what a great set of coaches and directors. Exciting times ahead for all Fev supporters.

Robin I did say 1 of the best fullbacks which I stand by. I never said THE best fullback. I remember Chris Bibb and many before him but Ian at the moment is faultless as many of his team mates are also. Zaks time WILL come, but at the moment Ian has to keep the number 1 slot .

I can't say he's faultless Bill, but I do acknowledge he's the best we've had in a very long time and if you had said the best of the summer era I may well indeed agree with you! He's a cracking lad, has a good all round game and though he lacks the burst of speed when coming into the line that Zak has, his defensive qualities are magnificent at our level. A cracking player.

But, even "amongst the best we've had"??? I really don't want to sound disloyal, picky or unnecessary critical to Hardo here, but I've tried to reason this out and I can't.

I just can't put Ian, however good he is, in the same company as Boxy, Cyril, Chris or even Steve! He just isn't at that level. Great at this level, but thiose guys were 'amongst the best' Bill!!

It's all opinions tho. Nowt more than that and yes you are quite correct, we appear to have a cracking team ethic at the mo - which has made this season "one of the best" in recent memory! :lol::lol:

Edited by Robin Evans