Salford City Reds in 2011

At last a season to look forward to with real confidence for the Salford faithful with Luke Patten, Vinnie Anderson, Stephen Wild, Chris Nero and now Feka Palea'asina all signed up for next year.

At last a season to look forward to with real confidence for the Salford faithful with Luke Patten, Vinnie Anderson, Stephen Wild, Chris Nero and now Feka Palea'asina all signed up for next year.

Sounding like a good squad coming in. Should be pushing for the play-offs.

Where's the money coming from for these signings, though?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

New ground, interesting squad building; sounds like franchising works! ;)

Sounding like a good squad coming in. Should be pushing for the play-offs.

Where's the money coming from for these signings, though?

As far as I can make it out and don't hold me to this ;)

The funding of the new stadium is coming from the Council and Peel so the money that the Salford directors had put aside for the stadium build is being used to strengthen the squad, plus there is the Myler money due from Warrington to help fund this recruitment drive for 2011.

With the aim to generate a bigger interest in the Salford club ahead of the move into the new stadium.

It really does look like Salford have their business head firmly screwed on.

They should be top eight next year.

New ground, interesting squad building; sounds like franchising works! ;)

I wish Salford all the best, even if that means they overtake Bradford.

It certainly looks like they already have with Feka Palea'asina saying no to Bradford and instead joining the City Reds.

Is the Feka signing official yet? Even if not they are certainly improving the strength of the squad and I hope it goes well for them. It will be interesting to see if Mcrae can mould them into a team which can perform as well on the park as they look like they should on paper.

With the new ground on the way they certainly seem to be ready to hit the ground running!

Is the Feka signing official yet? Even if not they are certainly improving the strength of the squad and I hope it goes well for them. It will be interesting to see if Mcrae can mould them into a team which can perform as well on the park as they look like they should on paper.

With the new ground on the way they certainly seem to be ready to hit the ground running!

It's in the Guardian and the Sun :D

Are these players all good? Were they wanted by their current clubs?

I suppose they may be a step up from their current squad (no disrespect meant) but will the likes of Feka drag them up, or will he simply become a plodder?

All these players will add something to Salford but its whether they can gel as a team. In the past teams have brought in players in big numbers and have flopped, Wire used to do it regularly before anyone starts!! :D

It's in the Guardian and the Sun :D

It's gospel then :lol:

DaveT - I take your point on questioning whether the players are any good after all they have been let go but maybe that's down to a combination of quota and salary cap. The only one I've thought is dodgy is Feka but I suppose it does give them a way to change the style of play on the pitch within a game if they need to.

We've seen lots of bulk buying of players at Warrington over the years and we know all too well that it isn't as easy as just getting the names in! I hope Salford do improve and I think overall with these signings they've given themselves a chance of doing so. Now it's down to the coach to make a team out of this lot!

It's gospel then :lol:

DaveT - I take your point on questioning whether the players are any good after all they have been let go but maybe that's down to a combination of quota and salary cap. The only one I've thought is dodgy is Feka but I suppose it does give them a way to change the style of play on the pitch within a game if they need to.

We've seen lots of bulk buying of players at Warrington over the years and we know all too well that it isn't as easy as just getting the names in! I hope Salford do improve and I think overall with these signings they've given themselves a chance of doing so. Now it's down to the coach to make a team out of this lot!

It wasn't just the fact that they were let go, it was around whether the club ever had any real interest in keeping them. Feka has been in and out a bit this year, and we have all seen how his lack of mobility and fitness can cause him and his team problems.

Nero can be okay, and maybe he needs a change of scenery, but I know a few fans were worried that their team would sign him, and I just get the impression that he will be another signing like Willie Talau.

Patten is apparently very good, don't see enough of him to comment.

Wild - I like him, could be a good signing.

Anderson - again, I quite like him and has proved his worth as a utility for us this year, but he isn't exactly going to drag a team like Salford to the next level.

Out of the five, I think three could be decent, but I just suspect it will take more than this, and none of them are spring chickens. I hope I am proved wrong and they can take a bit of a step up into the 8, as building the momentum going into a new stadium is crucial.

On Feka, his stat in years gone by show that he can be astonishingly effective even when only playing 30 minutes. When we had no moves in us and no other way to break teams down, his and Hock's ability to break the line from a standing start was priceless.

I am not sad to see him go, as he fantastically well paid and his style does not suit the all action high tempo 3 in a tackle approach we now take, but I think he will play every game from here on in, particularly as the weather deteriorates. He was superb against Saints in awful conditions at KR, and was exactly what we needed at the Piedome against the Wire, where in bad weather we kept our kicking game on the bench and played with 2 props. He is a top class luxiry item player who would improve most teams.

I really rate Wild and Patten. They are class players. One of the Andersons always impresses me, but that might be Louis.

Salford are buiding quite nicely for next season. Patten is class and will be the star of the show for them and their other signings, whilst they may not set SL alight they are a step up from what they currently have (though I do have my doubts about Nero as a centre) and will certainly help Salford to be more competitive.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

With the majority of the funding for the stadium coming from the council and loans from the North West Development Agency does the stadium look a little bit ropier again.

All councils are being asked to heavily cut spending. Could this be one of the projects that is shelved. The NWDA have been told to re-assess loans which have not yet been released... which I believe the City of Salford stadium falls into that category.

With all this uncertainty... could this be an attempt by Salford to try and play themselves up the league and away from SL expulsion if they announce further delays in the stadium being built.

Widnes Vikings RLFC - We were better than you ever will be!!!!!

Sky Sports wrote about the Widnes Vikings:

with the RFL having pledged to conditionally award a licence to a Championship club, it would be a surprise if they do not succeed.

The RFL wrote about Widnes Vikings RLFC:

it is surely now only a matter of time before Widnes are back in the big time.

Salford made do this year, they decided not to push out the boat and they let contracts expire at the end of this season.

Leaving

Alker-probably the highest paid

Fitzpatrick- I don't think he will

Swain- going to france

Leuleulai-Retire

others

Littler-no announcement

this is all about balance.

With the majority of the funding for the stadium coming from the council and loans from the North West Development Agency does the stadium look a little bit ropier again.

All councils are being asked to heavily cut spending. Could this be one of the projects that is shelved. The NWDA have been told to re-assess loans which have not yet been released... which I believe the City of Salford stadium falls into that category.

With all this uncertainty... could this be an attempt by Salford to try and play themselves up the league and away from SL expulsion if they announce further delays in the stadium being built.

Well basically we are strengthening the side which beat Widnes 36-0 in January.

The rest is Chemical Conjecture.

Just how many are there in the Widnes Mafia on here - at least 8 -amazing performers.