Oldham

Well Chris Hamilton is right about one thing, there is nothing new in the situation.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Yup we have had a few but since 1997 always paid them (eventually!).

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

now that whitebank is ours, this should be the last time this happens. Cashflow at the club has greatly improved, along with attendance since we started playing there.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

Is it just me, or did Oldham fans turn on Chris Hamilton the other year?

Some did yes, he's not perfect by any stretch but pro rugby in oldham wouldn't exist without him. Now Chris has found us a home things are looking up, Crowds are up, all revenue is ours, we have a good squad of young local lads who clearly give 100% every week, a good chance of promotion and most importantly the new ground has united the fans. Sure its a sh!thole at the moment but it will improve in time. Bigger crisis' than this have been resolved when we've been in a far less able position to resolve them so I'm not unduly worried by this news, I'm sure the bill will get paid in full like all the others in the past. As I said previously I believe this will be the last time this happens at Oldham.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

Some did yes, he's not perfect by any stretch but pro rugby in oldham wouldn't exist without him. Now Chris has found us a home things are looking up, Crowds are up, all revenue is ours, we have a good squad of young local lads who clearly give 100% every week, a good chance of promotion and most importantly the new ground has united the fans. Sure its a sh!thole at the moment but it will improve in time. Bigger crisis' than this have been resolved when we've been in a far less able position to resolve them so I'm not unduly worried by this news, I'm sure the bill will get paid in full like all the others in the past. As I said previously I believe this will be the last time this happens at Oldham.

Excellent :)

Cummins Out.

I really hope you are right.

Good stuff.

I've always had a soft spot for Oldham and if anything their decline over the past decade or so is the saddest of all Championship clubs.

I remember the last time Widnes came into Super League we defeated Oldham in the GF. That is how close Oldham came to a very different future and who knows where they would be now. They also used to get crowds that were one of the best in the league. I always keep an eye out for their results and hope that one day they get back to where they deserve.

Good stuff.

I've always had a soft spot for Oldham and if anything their decline over the past decade or so is the saddest of all Championship clubs.

I remember the last time Widnes came into Super League we defeated Oldham in the GF. That is how close Oldham came to a very different future and who knows where they would be now. They also used to get crowds that were one of the best in the league. I always keep an eye out for their results and hope that one day they get back to where they deserve.

What a flip story from the tale of Widnes. Widnes announce a profit (which most SL clubs would be proud of) the same week as a winding up order.

I have no wish to see any club go under, I just can't understand how clubs can be managed with such huge losses. Sure if an owner is wishing to pay for the losses then great , but when that owner goes what's left for the club then. I can only say that being a Saints fan we have been extrodanarily lucky to have a board to carry the losses, but I do wish we could break even. Surely if Widnes can do it on a limited budget then most SL clubs should be able to.

It's all about da bass

Do you mind me asking what the set up is at your new ground. Sorry if someone has mentioned it previously. Also where abouts is it, will definetley pay a visit next season.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Do you mind me asking what the set up is at your new ground. Sorry if someone has mentioned it previously. Also where abouts is it, will definetley pay a visit next season.

it used to be Oldham towns (amature football) its little more than a pitch currently to be honest, there are a few covered seats, probably no more than 150 and only a few steps of terrace that is totally uncovered. There is a clubhouse/bar outside the ground. I guess the nearest equivalant ground is sedgley park. The crucial thing about white bank is that there is room around it to develop it into a tidy little ground over time. In a year or so the football club will move out leaving us the sole tennants (I think the deal is the council own the ground and we pay a nominal rent), all profits from the bar/clubhouse go to the rugby club so Oldham fans can watch SL there on a friday and boost the club coffers. in the 13 years the clubs been around this has never been the case, add this to the massive savings on not renting boundary park/wherever and you can see why the financial situation will improve. since moving to whitebank I'd say gates have gone from 6-700 to around a 1000 most weeks. There is agreat atmosphere when there is a 1000 there, the fact your only feet away from the players increases this too.

biggest drawback is the lack of cover, its not pleasant when its raining there and as its located in a housing estate parking isn't the best. Overall though Whitebank is the best thing to happen for pro rugby in oldham since bob Lidner signed. It gives us a base onn witch to build.

edit. its on a council estate called Limeside on the Ashton side of Oldham, just off Ashton road.

Edited by steef

My missus is an Oldham fan and ive got to admit I really enjoy visiting Whitebank to watch the games, the players are right in front of you and you can literally hear everything they say to each other. This season has been great for Oldham and there is a lot of opportunity for Whitebank to be developed so things look positive

Barrie Mc is a regular too, see him there all the time, although ive not been brave enough to speak to him! Haha