RL Fans and the Play offs

Why is it that after over a decade of play offs and these being billed as the big matches of the seasons climax are the fans not embracing the play offs?

Okay Hull fans have done so and the KC looks to be heading for a sell out, but this is because of the derby novelty factor.

I bet Saints v Wire does not top the 13.5K that turned up at Saints last week. I know loads of Wire fans who aint bothering because they think we will end up facing Saints again in two weeks and because of the terrible view in the stadium.

Plus I bet Hudds get lower than their average crowd on Saturday for the visit of Cru and Wigan v Leeds wont get above 17,000 that showed up last week.

Is it time to ensure discounted tickets for season ticket holders or include them for free?

Or do we need to market these better like the NRL play offs?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm loving the Playoffs. But then I adore everything about our game.

Hull is buzzing about this weekend. I really hope our game passes without incident supporter wise. Would love us to get to Grand Final (don't laugh) as I already have my ticket, even the wife is coming.

Hope the Wire do well too, as my bezzer is sitting next to me at Old Trafford.

I'm loving the Playoffs. But then I adore everything about our game.

Hull is buzzing about this weekend. I really hope our game passes without incident supporter wise. Would love us to get to Grand Final (don't laugh) as I already have my ticket, even the wife is coming.

Hope the Wire do well too, as my bezzer is sitting next to me at Old Trafford.

19k have been sold which is good but it should have sold out a long time ago. It would have been easily if ST's were included.

It's all to do with season tickets, nothing else.

Your partly right I think.

But I think other factors such as money and overkill come into the equation. Take Wire as an example they have played Saints twice this season in SL and now the fans have to fork out for another game and possibly a return game in two weeks to get to the GF.

In the NRL these play off matches are seen as the marquee games. Neutral fans turn out from other clubs to watch the big play off matches and other non regulars tend to make the effort.

In SL once a club does not make the finals their fans go into hibernation till Feb, we need these to come and watch.

Why is it that after over a decade of play offs and these being billed as the big matches of the seasons climax are the fans not embracing the play offs?

Okay Hull fans have done so and the KC looks to be heading for a sell out, but this is because of the derby novelty factor.

I bet Saints v Wire does not top the 13.5K that turned up at Saints last week. I know loads of Wire fans who aint bothering because they think we will end up facing Saints again in two weeks and because of the terrible view in the stadium.

Plus I bet Hudds get lower than their average crowd on Saturday for the visit of Cru and Wigan v Leeds wont get above 17,000 that showed up last week.

Is it time to ensure discounted tickets for season ticket holders or include them for free?

You mention a terrible view at KR yet over 17,000 attended the Saints/Wire match!!!!!!

You mention a terrible view at KR yet over 17,000 attended the Saints/Wire match!!!!!!

I know and I was there and couldn't see much apart from the back of someones head and a pole!

When Knowsley Rd is packed its a great atmosphere but a terrible view if your in that away end.

week 1 of the nrl finals usually gets poorish crowds as well

since many of the finals dont mean anything for the top teams as they arent sudden death its seen more as a revenue raising excercise.

weeks 2 and 3 are where the action hots up

and still the crowds you mention are very impressive

i suspect well go from 15,000 - 30,000 for week 1 crowds in the nrl which isnt far off yours

penrith will probably only get 10,000 - 13,000 for their home semi

Gold Coast vs NZ Warriors should get 25,000 and Wests vs Sydney Roosters 30,000 - 32,000.

Penrith will get over 15,000. St George vs Manly will be only 16-18,000 because Manly has no chance.

So Hull FC, Wigan and St Helens should do better than the two lesser NRL crowds, but worse than the two bigger NRL crowds.

Huddersfield crowd will be a bomb that brings down the average. What a pity.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

THIS IS NOT AUSTRALIA.

Do the SL play offs attendances as a % of the usual gates and compare with NRL.

STOP MOANING!!!!!

I for one can't wait for all 4 fixtures.

If I still lived up North I would probably go to St Helens on Fri, Huddersfield on Sat and Wigan on Sunday.

TV is a factor that reduces the crowds.

And why would any spectator pay for a ST, watch all seaosn, then not attend the crucial matches? Are these the same muppets who leave a game with 10 minutes to go when it is evenly poised?

I don't like the 8 team format, the old one was much better, but RL fans need to stop moaning and making excuses and go and actually support the games instead of sitting on your backside moaning about Red Hall, expansion, Union/media conspiracy etc etc

i think a few posts have already hit the nail on the head, which are gripes about the game snot being included in the season tickets and fans thinking 'sod it, ill wait till next week'.

personally i cant wait for tonights game, and the other games over the weekend. the missus has already been put on alert that my weekend will largely consist of RL.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

In SL once a club does not make the finals their fans go into hibernation till Feb, we need these to come and watch.

We need to address the issue of the clubs that are playing's fans turning up first.

Why should Salford fans, for example, go to watch Saints v Wire when, as you say, the Wire fans can't even be bothered?

People called Romans they go the house

i the missus has already been put on alert that my weekend will largely consist of RL.

I haven't done that bit yet - I'm waiting until Eastenders finishes and then I'll just turn over!

Tomorrow I will decorate in the morning so if she even thinks of stopping me watch 2 games she's out

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

I can categorically and truthfully state that it will be "standing room only" for the Co-operative RLC National Qualifying Semi-Final , at the Arthur Miller Stadium, Stanningley on Saturday, kick of 2.30pm. So get there early to see Bramley Buffaloes and Warrington Wizards going full on for a place in the Grand Final. :D

Details below in Press Release from Bramley Buffaloes:

"Bramley Buffaloes' bid for a sixth consecutive Grand Final appearance faces a tough test this weekend with Warrington Wizards the visitors to the Arthur Miller Stadium on Saturday 11th September (kick-off 2.30pm).

Victory would assure Mark Butterill's side of a place at Warrington on Sunday 26th September but the Buffaloes coach is taking nothing for granted: "It's all going to plan. This is where we wanted to be at the start of the season and we hope this is our only play-off match but we will have to be on our guard against opponents who can turn on the style when they have to. There will be no complacency and I hope we get the Bramley supporters turning out in force.

"We lost our last regular season game at Huddersfield Underbank and that was a stark lesson in not taking your eye off the ball. This is a fantastic group of lads who are all focused on the end goal and we'll need to maintain that for at least another 160 minutes this season if we are to repeat last year's triumph.

"I've been delighted by the progress we've made in what has been a tough season with two teams withdrawing but I feel we've kicked on from last year and a win against Warrington would be fantastic.

"We could be facing them again in the Grand Final but we'll worry about that if it happens. My major concern is Saturday and ensuring we get the job done," added Butterill who has no major injury concerns and expects to welcome back powerhouse centre Paul Gledhill back into the squad.

--------------------

2006 National League Three Champions, 2009 Co-Operative Rugby League Conference National Champions

I can categorically and truthfully state that it will be "standing room only" for the Co-operative RLC National Qualifying Semi-Final , at the Arthur Miller Stadium, Stanningley on Saturday, kick of 2.30pm. So get there early to see Bramley Buffaloes and Warrington Wizards going full on for a place in the Grand Final. :D

Is one to assume that there are very few seats, full stop?

People called Romans they go the house

For me, this is looking like the best play-off series since they were introduced. The fact that there aren't any out and out favourites for Old Trafford makes it even better. I've heard the excuses around Warrington about how we might be playing Saints again in a fortnight - but there again we might not. Wire v Saints is one of the stand out games of most seasons, and surely the chance of seeing Warrington finally beat Saints must make it worth the trip.

Interesting point made about the Huddersfield game though. I reckon they could've got a bigger crowd at Wrexham, with a far better atmosphere. It's similar to matches against Catalans. But it's good to see Crusaders taking so many fans with them. The teams closeness to the heartlands, which was preceived to be a problem, looks like it could be a positive for them, certainly in terms of travelling support.

For me, this is looking like the best play-off series since they were introduced. The fact that there aren't any out and out favourites for Old Trafford makes it even better. I've heard the excuses around Warrington about how we might be playing Saints again in a fortnight - but there again we might not. Wire v Saints is one of the stand out games of most seasons, and surely the chance of seeing Warrington finally beat Saints must make it worth the trip.

Interesting point made about the Huddersfield game though. I reckon they could've got a bigger crowd at Wrexham, with a far better atmosphere. It's similar to matches against Catalans. But it's good to see Crusaders taking so many fans with them. The teams closeness to the heartlands, which was preceived to be a problem, looks like it could be a positive for them, certainly in terms of travelling support.

Yep, I am genuinely excited by all 4 games. The Saints v Wire and Wigan v Leeds games are often classics, and almost always very enjoyable games, so on their own they are crackers, but with the benefits that go with a victory it has that added excitement factor.

Hull v KR always have something about them, and with it being knockout and a huge crowd, this one should be very enjoyable!

I must also confess to rooting for Crusaders as my 2nd team now, so I hope they can pull off a shock against Hudds in that one to keep up the momentum that seems to be building in Wrexham.