Fev

TheDuke

Are Fev the best placed team to come into the next round of franchising,

they are solvent

they have theyre own ground and plans afoot for development

they have decent youth development

they have a good coach

most importantly they are currently the best team in their division

i genuinley feel for widnes as the were dicked, but sentiment doesnt make a good franchise bid. i feel they are lasking in their division badly, only being average this season

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I genuinley feel for widnes as the were dicked, but sentiment doesnt make a good franchise bid.

Small clubs need someone to bankroll a serious bid to compete in Superleague.

That's why HKR and Huddersfield have done well and why Cas and Wakey are on the brink.

Widnes have a very good chairman who will bankroll the club called Mr. O'Connor.

Who have Featherstone got and will their gate money go anywhere near supplying the finance.

they are solvent

they have a good coach

i genuinley feel for widnes as the were dicked, but sentiment doesnt make a good franchise bid. i feel they are lasking in their division badly, only being average this season

Which is largely because the salary cap is at a level that allows clubs to compete with Widnes.

On the pitch is a small aspect of licensing and Widnes have met the minimum criteria. On all other aspects we are clearly in front.

they are solvent

they have a good coach

As a starting point do Featherstone meet the 5 minimum criteria st out on the RFL's website? If they don't they won't be able to apply for a Super League licence. As you say sentiment doesn't make a good bid. If Fev aren't able to make an application this time around the way they are going they should stand a good chance next time.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/about/page.php?areaid=193

Whats stopping Widnes competing then? ;)

A gigantic injury list, the worst I've seen us have in all my years, personal issues of the coach and actually relying on our youth and giving them a shot, and in spite of this we did actually make the play offs, and have been to the NRC final twice and won it once in two seasons.

As a starting point do Featherstone meet the 5 minimum criteria st out on the RFL's website? If they don't they won't be able to apply for a Super League licence. As you say sentiment doesn't make a good bid. If Fev aren't able to make an application this time around the way they are going they should stand a good chance next time.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/about/page.php?areaid=193

To misquote "1066 and All That" Every time Fev get near the qualifying criteria, the RFL change the criteria.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

grounds too small and nowhere near super league standard

maybe next time if we get on with development and win something again

ground too small, but modern and capable of upgrade.

Rovers don't consider themselves ready by their own reckoning, and it would be a bad idea to catapult them into SL

IMHO they are about four years short of being ready. It's no good being placed into the comp if you aren't going to compete and do so sustainably

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Fev have the best set of young players in the Championship. I cannot fathom why other Yorkshire clubs are not doing their upmost to prise them from Post Office Road.

Possibly because they are good but not Superleague standard.

It's often said there's a gulf between NL and SL.

It's often the case that winning NL champs on promotion to SL dump their players and buy new ones who are better****.

Analyse how many SL players came from the academy system.....

And how many were plucked from NL by SL.

**** People argue that a team who has won NL deserves on sporting principle to go to SL, but the reality is that most of the players are part time and have jobs and don't want to play full time on the chance they may not be relegated.

Funny how Whitehaven "froze" when they got to the NL final and they all faced the chance to lose their jobs and become SL professionals for only a year.....

To misquote "1066 and All That" Every time Fev get near the qualifying criteria, the RFL change the criteria.

To be fair to the RFL as far as I am aware this is the first time they have set out minimum criteria for Championship clubs. I think that last time existing Super League clubs and NL1 clubs were measured against the same criteria. This could be because the RFL want licensing to appear as some kind of Promotion and Relegation which takes place every three years.

Its no secret that we aren't aiming for 2012, but we are aiming for promotion in 2015, why shouldn't we aim for that?

No reason why you should not aim for that at all. I would, If I was in charge encourage the demise of Cas and Wakey and seek out someone with plenty of money to back Fev for the Calder franchise, wether just to buy players, or to invest in a stadium central to the area that the club proposed some time ago.

Follow the club who will walk straight into SL - Widnes are a grand club in the Fev and Cas mould. They got an investor. That's what you need

Quote Ange "It's no good being placed into the comp if you aren't going to compete and do so sustainably".

Nothing sustains competetiveness like a rich man........

In answer to Alan Marsden, although they are top in the Championship these things always tend to by cyclical and if there aren't further targets to achieve player retention and development tends to be cyclical and things slide back the other way after a few good seasons, e.g. Hunslet, Dewsbury, Leigh, Widnes Haven, over the last 10 years.

If I remember correctly didn't Fev apply in the last cycle of applications, so that when the time came this time they would be better informed of the criteria they needed to be achieving. It strikes me that they are moving things along very nicely at Fev with probably the main sticking points being ground development and potential crowds. The first is the same all the Calder clubs seem to be facing, and the second stems from the fact that Fev as a town really is pretty small with 2 other Pro RL clubs nearby.

In answer to Parky's point it's never appeared that they have anyone to bankroll them, but because of that it's taken a long time to get the on field things right which they've now done and it will take a long time to get the ground sorted, let alone be successful in SL. Perhaps though their primary aim is maybe to be able to displace one of Cas or Wakey (who are both similar in not having a big backer) or maybe both in this or the subsequent round of applications, and worry about the success bit after that?

I get the feeling that in SL now you either need to have a rich backer (Warrington (although I know they made a profit this year) Wigan of old, Hudds, HKR,) or be based in a large city where attendances and income from corporate sponsorship provide adequate revenue (Leeds, Hull). Not sure how Saints get all their money :huh:

This is where the middle ground teams struggle as they are based in areas too small to generate large crowd income and the local companies that provide sponsorship opportunities are not "big" enough to pay big bucks. I also see this as being why the RFL's overall plan is that RL is less about the M62 Corridor and more about expansion in to bigger cities and markets, as thats where the money will be to keep the game going.

Anway, well done Fev and if they can somehow get the ends of the stadium developed Cas and Wakey should be very worried.

"Fev - It's life on the edge" LA'M Nov 06

"Ermm, I think it needs an x-ray!"

Why is a rich (and potentially here today gone tomorrow) backer now almost a SL requirement and seen as a healthy thing by the RFL? Surely this is not a model for stability?

I would argue that a club that is essentially losing money hand over fist (yet propped up by a sugar daddy) is not good for RL. No problem with rich backers so long as the business is making money. Sadly I think many SL clubs are losing money big time - e.g. Stains, Quims etc

To be fair to the RFL as far as I am aware this is the first time they have set out minimum criteria for Championship clubs. I think that last time existing Super League clubs and NL1 clubs were measured against the same criteria. This could be because the RFL want licensing to appear as some kind of Promotion and Relegation which takes place every three years.

No - they have only recently set NEW criteria, i.e. av crowds of 2500 and an annual tunover of

Funny how Whitehaven "froze" when they got to the NL final and they all faced the chance to lose their jobs and become SL professionals for only a year.....

But surely those Players who had won Whitehaven promotion wouldn't have had to leave their jobs if they didn't want to would they ?

No one would have forced them to sign a Super League contract. They could easily have said " no thanks, i'm happy as i am " and signed for Workington or another Club.

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

Possibly because they are good but not Superleague standard.

It's often said there's a gulf between NL and SL.

It's often the case that winning NL champs on promotion to SL dump their players and buy new ones who are better****.

Analyse how many SL players came from the academy system.....

And how many were plucked from NL by SL.

**** People argue that a team who has won NL deserves on sporting principle to go to SL, but the reality is that most of the players are part time and have jobs and don't want to play full time on the chance they may not be relegated.

There is indeed a gulf but it is the young players with potential that can bridge that gap. Sure a team needs some experience from hard headed professionals which Fev have with the likes of Dickens but it is the young outside backs that are exciting SL clubs because a couple have far more potential than some recent signings by Bradford for example.

I think Widnes have seen the way forward and having met the criteria have put a lot of time and energy into developing an U18 / Youth system but it will not happen overnight.

Far too many clubs like Leigh like Halifax sign past their sell by date ex SL players with no future beyond the Championship.

In answer to Alan Marsden, although they are top in the Championship these things always tend to by cyclical and if there aren't further targets to achieve player retention and development tends to be cyclical and things slide back the other way after a few good seasons, e.g. Hunslet, Dewsbury, Leigh, Widnes Haven, over the last 10 years.

If I remember correctly didn't Fev apply in the last cycle of applications, so that when the time came this time they would be better informed of the criteria they needed to be achieving. It strikes me that they are moving things along very nicely at Fev with probably the main sticking points being ground development and potential crowds. The first is the same all the Calder clubs seem to be facing, and the second stems from the fact that Fev as a town really is pretty small with 2 other Pro RL clubs nearby.

In answer to Parky's point it's never appeared that they have anyone to bankroll them, but because of that it's taken a long time to get the on field things right which they've now done and it will take a long time to get the ground sorted, let alone be successful in SL. Perhaps though their primary aim is maybe to be able to displace one of Cas or Wakey (who are both similar in not having a big backer) or maybe both in this or the subsequent round of applications, and worry about the success bit after that?

I get the feeling that in SL now you either need to have a rich backer (Warrington (although I know they made a profit this year) Wigan of old, Hudds, HKR,) or be based in a large city where attendances and income from corporate sponsorship provide adequate revenue (Leeds, Hull). Not sure how Saints get all their money :huh:

This is where the middle ground teams struggle as they are based in areas too small to generate large crowd income and the local companies that provide sponsorship opportunities are not "big" enough to pay big bucks. I also see this as being why the RFL's overall plan is that RL is less about the M62 Corridor and more about expansion in to bigger cities and markets, as thats where the money will be to keep the game going.

Anway, well done Fev and if they can somehow get the ends of the stadium developed Cas and Wakey should be very worried.

To say Fev are a small club is a bit of a myth to be honest, for sure the town is small but people outside dont realise the club pulls in passionate support from the towns Pontefract and knottingley as well as all the surrounding villages, this is why the club have the unique world record of having many crowds above the population. rovers arnt a small club and with a bit of success and a pro-active board the crowds will increase. As for the ground, well plans are well on the way the ground will be improved and capacity increased over the next few seasons, there is also plans to utilise the 18 acres of land the club owns. Rovers could be a very wealthy club with a decent fan base and a tidy modern ground that meets requirements in a few years and as for backers the club as a couple of backers mark Cambell and Andy Mcneil, watch out because Rovers the small village that as took on and beaten the giants of the game in years gone by are ready to do it again

Not sure how Saints get all their money :huh:

I take it you are not a geography or sociology student. Nor, unlike me, done extensive research watching

Alan Bleasdale dramas.

Being scousers they could reasonably be expected to steal half the budget and fiddle the rest from social security. Then there's the fee for "looking after" the cars of visiting spectators in a public carpark.

B););):D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Not sure how Saints get all their money :huh:

I take it you are not a geography or sociology student. Nor, unlike me, done extensive research watching

Alan Bleasdale dramas.

Being scousers they could reasonably be expected to steal half the budget and fiddle the rest from social security. Then there's the fee for "looking after" the cars of visiting spectators in a public carpark.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Alan Bleasdale dramas.

for a start, st helens has ###### all to do with liverpool, having a totally different culture and accent, just for you my ignorant yorkie of apparent welsh descent to be a scouser you have to be born in the old town area of liverpool which is roughly from the mersey to kensington. anyone born out side this area is a wait for it.........LACASTRIAN not just a liverpudlian because liverpudlians are also LACASTRIANS, that means the disricts of huyton, west derby, hunts cross, crosby etc etc etc are not historically in the town of liverpool and therefore are not scousers. now as for st helens the town has never and is still not associated in any way shape or form with liverpool, as for the slight of the "social security, i think that you will find that the city of bradford has more people claiming benefits per capita than st helens which is roughly the same size as bradford. so rather than trotting out the same old tired line about st heleners being scousers, please try researching your posts before making a complete ###### of yourself again in the future.................

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

for a start, st helens has ###### all to do with liverpool, having a totally different culture and accent, just for you my ignorant yorkie of apparent welsh descent to be a scouser you have to be born in the old town area of liverpool which is roughly from the mersey to kensington. anyone born out side this area is a wait for it.........LACASTRIAN not just a liverpudlian because liverpudlians are also LACASTRIANS, that means the disricts of huyton, west derby, hunts cross, crosby etc etc etc are not historically in the town of liverpool and therefore are not scousers. now as for st helens the town has never and is still not associated in any way shape or form with liverpool, as for the slight of the "social security, i think that you will find that the city of bradford has more people claiming benefits per capita than st helens which is roughly the same size as bradford. so rather than trotting out the same old tired line about st heleners being scousers, please try researching your posts before making a complete ###### of yourself again in the future.................

And what exactly is a Lacastrian?

Or has some scouse git nicked the 'n' off your keyboard.....