'Tacky' insignias/emblems/badges in RL?

I bet if a team from the Yorkshire counties had a whippet in their badge it would look like a stocky greyhound. :D

Edited by HappyDave

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first ever 'post' and already I'm going to sound like a dinosaur,

Town /City coat of arms style badges for me, traditional names and shirt designs too!

i.e. Bradford Northern with the 'Boars Head' crest and white shirt with horizontal red,yellow and black

bands across the chest.

It failed because it was a god awfull idea! I wouldnt put the guy who came up with it in charge of a pair of scissor...

:lol:

As I said in the first post in this thread; I think the big 'HALIFAX' underneath their current badge looks like it came straight out of the NHL. Really OTT.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

It failed because it was a god awfull idea! I wouldnt put the guy who came up with it in charge of a pair of scissors let alone a club. Wonder what did happen to him....

Why would anyone ever identify themselves by the socks they are wearing anyway? That's the point I don't get.

And no way would it be smiling. Humour's for yon Cas idiots.

;):D

w*nker!!

;)

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Why would anyone ever identify themselves by the socks they are wearing anyway? That's the point I don't get.

He looked at MLB teams like Boston Red Sox and thought he was onto a winner. The club even did a poll in the local paper for the nicknames - Blue Sox wasnt even listed at the time.

The original marketing idea for Halifax was 'Bombers'. If I recall, the club was even listed in League Express as such for a few weeks.

Then some shrewd chap thought that synergising the X in Halifax and Sox just might attract sponsorship from Halifax ('Get a little Xtra help, dee dee dah dah dah, from the Halifax') Building Society as it then was.

It didnt and the name didnt either

Halifax dropped the Bomber tag due to connection with the war.

The First Gulf War finished in 1991 (Scarborough rock band Little Angels dropped their proposed album title of 'Bomber' then, thought a bit tasteless), but the RL club rebrands didnt happen till 1996

The First Gulf War finished in 1991 (Scarborough rock band Little Angels dropped their proposed album title of 'Bomber' then, thought a bit tasteless), but the RL club rebrands didnt happen till 1996

Indeed. :mellow::huh: There were discrepances in The Halifax Evening Courier allegedly. It;s like asking the B-52's band to change name. You could have had Barry the Bomber as Mascot!

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

I remember at the time reading (somewhere) that Halifax were going to use "Bombers" as a name, but dropped it because at that time Super League was touted as being "European" with plans to have (possibly) German teams in it, and they didn't want to upset any Germans.

No idea if this is true or not.

Lancaster was next on the list after Dresden.

:D

Yowzah!! :O

Indeed. :mellow::huh: There were discrepances in The Halifax Evening Courier allegedly. It;s like asking the B-52's band to change name. You could have had Barry the Bomber as Mascot!

Or Biggles? :lol:

In all honesty I think marketting a Sports Team with relation to WW2 would have been in bad taste especially after over 60 years, in my opinion.

Halifax dropped the Bomber tag due to connection with the war. Can't see anyone complaining about Vikings and the like!! :lol:

in times of yore widnes was quite a sizeable viking settlement, and in fact the largest amout of viking artifacts in england were found at widnes. so really vikings was a logical choice.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Since when was Halifax anything to do with Lancaster? :D

the handley page halifax was a second world war bomber, and flew many missions alongside the lancasters and wellingtons over germany, so perhaps that's where the bombers idea came from.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/yorkstales/index.htm

With regard to the wild boar, the head of which forms part of the crest, we are indebted to a certain James Hartley, a schoolmaster, whose school was situated near the bottom of Kirgate two centuries ago, and who translated from ancient documents the following account :

"A ravenous boar of a most enormous size, haunted a certain place called the Cliffe wood, and at times very much infested the town (Bradford) and the neighbouring inhabitants thereof, so that a reward was offered by the government to any person or persons who would bring the head of this boar, which much excited some to attempt it.

Now the story runs thus, That this boar frequented a certain wood to drink, which to this day is called the 'Boar's Well,' that he was watched by a certain person who shot him dead there, took his tongue out of his head and immediately repaired to court to claim the promised reward.

Presently, after his departure from the well, another person came thither upon the same intention and, finding the beast dead, without any further examination, cuts off his head and away he hastes towards the same place, and in expectation of the reward as the former, and there arrives before him.

Being introduced to his majesty's presence, the head was examined but was found without a tongue, concerning which the man was interrogated could give no satisfactory account. Whilst this was held in suspense the other man was introduced with the tongue, claimed the promised reward and unfolded the riddle by informing his Majesty how and by what means he killed the beast, and thus received the following grant :

A certain place or portion of land lying at great Horton known as Hunt Yard and for the tenure of which he and his heirs for ever should annually attend in the market place at Bradford, on St. Martin's day, in the forenoon and there, by the name of the heir of Rushworth, hold a dog of the hunting kind whilst three blasts were blown on a gelder's horn, and these words, 'Come heir of Rushworth, etc.,' expressed aloud.

wasn't it called 'the bod' and a pub named after it in the 1970s at the bottom of manchester road?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

the handley page halifax was a second world war bomber, and flew many missions alongside the lancasters and wellingtons over germany, so perhaps that's where the bombers idea came from.

Ah! Fair enough.

It would have been infinitely better than blue sox with one draw back. Rival fans calling them the "bummers".

Another thing Halifax can proudly boast about is the invention of the guillotine. So maybe the Halifax Executioners?

Another thing Halifax can proudly boast about is the invention of the guillotine.

One of the mainstreets is Gibbet Street, and the old jailhouse and stocks are still set right next to the main A629 road at Illingworth

Worth a look if you're in the area.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

It would have been infinitely better than blue sox with one draw back. Rival fans calling them the "bummers".

Another thing Halifax can proudly boast about is the invention of the guillotine. So maybe the Halifax Executioners?

So clever of them to invent something and then give it a French name!

I believe the one in Halifax, (along with Hull and Hell) and from which god was beseeched to preserve us, was actually known as the Gibbet. :D

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

could have been worse - Could have been called Halifax Bankers - Now rival fans would have had a field day with that.