Whisky

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

The resurrection 

https://rosebank.com

I'm sure a few more "lost" names will be resurrected, but I remember how good Rosebank could be, so they'd better know what they're doing with this comeback.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 months later...

After a fairly dry spell whisky-wise - a bottle of Highland Park 12 a month or so back - I'm now in possession of two bottles. A voucher in return for being part of some market research has been spent on a bottle of Suntory Toki, Japanese blended whisky, and Mrs Ginger managed to drop in a present of Balvennie 12 into this week's shopping.

I am a happy boy indeed.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

First night results ... *hic* ...

That Balvennie is something very special. Like it a lot. Really nice depth.

And the Suntory Toki is a fair bit lighter tasting but remarkably decent for the price. I'd choose it over a lot of single malts.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Just ordered a 14 year old clynelish. My fav. 

I made a successful application to the team ginge lockdown benevolent fund for funding. ?

Clynelish is a very fine whisky - good choice!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just found this thread, I sell whisky in Vancouver. That allows me to sample some pretty rare malts including a lot of single cask bottling, sadly I don’t get to take them home and only make occasional purchases as whisky is really expensive in BC. I recently sampled the whole Tomatin range, from Legacy through 12year (great value), 14year, 15year, 18year and 36year (incredible whisky and beautiful package, but at a price that only a few of my customers can afford), and Wolfburn. Check them out if you can.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Oldbear said:

Just found this thread, I sell whisky in Vancouver. That allows me to sample some pretty rare malts including a lot of single cask bottling, sadly I don’t get to take them home and only make occasional purchases as whisky is really expensive in BC. I recently sampled the whole Tomatin range, from Legacy through 12year (great value), 14year, 15year, 18year and 36year (incredible whisky and beautiful package, but at a price that only a few of my customers can afford), and Wolfburn. Check them out if you can.

I went to a decent place on granville island selling good whiskies a few years ago. Another one in kitsilano. Either one yours?

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Anyone tried that Crabbie's single malt from Morro's on offer at £16 a pop?

Excellent value and a very pleasant drink.... surprised me .... a lot.

I hadn't even heard about it. Looking at user reviews on Master of Malt, some very mixed opinions, but that's what you'd expect.

It seems to be priced at £18 in most places, which puts it just cheaper than supermarket own label single malts, some of which can be very good.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I hadn't even heard about it. Looking at user reviews on Master of Malt, some very mixed opinions, but that's what you'd expect.

It seems to be priced at £18 in most places, which puts it just cheaper than supermarket own label single malts, some of which can be very good.

I'm sat in the garden with a tesco speyside which is pleasant.

The Crabbie's is a surprisingly decent lowland affair for the money. It's not a 14 yo clynelish but y'know.... its alreight?

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

To celebrate and in the interests of scientific experimentation, I’m looking for advice on 25 year old Scotch?

My budget is probably £120.

Any recommendations?

Price, when you get into three figures, is as often due to rarity of remaining stock, as much as quality.

Have you considered getting two pretty special bottles (possibly cask strength) at around the £60 mark instead? If you went for two different styles/regions, there'd be more variety to enjoy.

If you do want a pricier dram, Glenfarclas have some older single malts which are superb, including a 25yo.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Of course, if your lottery ticket comes in, Glenfarclas can sell you this: https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glenfarclas/glenfarclas-family-cask-trunk-whisky/ 

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Price, when you get into three figures, is as often due to rarity of remaining stock, as much as quality.

Have you considered getting two pretty special bottles (possibly cask strength) at around the £60 mark instead? If you went for two different styles/regions, there'd be more variety to enjoy.

If you do want a pricier dram, Glenfarclas have some older single malts which are superb, including a 25yo.

In the end I bought an 18yo Glenfiddich for £65 which seemed reasonable and a £65 self made tasting set that included 2x dram of Glengoyne 25yo scotch.

I realised the good stuff at that age was out of my budget so maybe it might make sense to sample some before going in deep cashwise.

Cheers for the advice!

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

In the end I bought an 18yo Glenfiddich for £65 which seemed reasonable and a £65 self made tasting set that included 2x dram of Glengoyne 25yo scotch.

I realised the good stuff at that age was out of my budget so maybe it might make sense to sample some before going in deep cashwise.

Cheers for the advice!

What's the Glengoyne like? I've never tried that one.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 22/06/2020 at 17:21, Futtocks said:

What's the Glengoyne like? I've never tried that one.

I’ve had their 12 year old and it’s a lowland whisky (very light in colour).  I bought it on a trip up there but on the way down from the West Coast.  It’s okay not amazingly remarkable.

Must be 15 years ago and I’d been spoilt by trips to Speyside so had developed more of a taste for that flavour.

This 25yo looks darker and seemed well reviewed on Master of Malt so I thought I’d have a sample or two to understand a bit more what’s going on with that age of whisky.

UPDATE: Mixing up Glengoyne with something else -haha!

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

• 4 months later...

I did a Morrison's order via Amazon today, and decided that it had been a while since I'd had a single malt, so I went looking for discounts after I'd picked the food & wine.

I ended up with a Glenlivet Founder's Reserve (a fancy name instead of age - an unwelcome sign of the times) for about £10 off normal price. Aged in an American Oak "selection", which is another admission that most distilleries are mixing in malts of different ages for a quick buck.

Notwithstanding, a rather decent dram at an excellent price.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I did a Morrison's order via Amazon today, and decided that it had been a while since I'd had a single malt, so I went looking for discounts after I'd picked the food & wine.

I ended up with a Glenlivet Founder's Reserve (a fancy name instead of age - an unwelcome sign of the times) for about £10 off normal price. Aged in an American Oak "selection", which is another admission that most distilleries are mixing in malts of different ages for a quick buck.

Notwithstanding, a rather decent dram at an excellent price.

Had this one a little while ago - and you're right, it's lovely.

As you say though, it is a sign of the times. Even more so as it, a bit of googling revealed, is a direct replacement for Glenlivet's previous entry-level offering which did have an age statement.

23 hours ago, LEEDSLADGONE SOUTH said:

Back on the laphroig 10, my go to tipple 

Not a whisky expert but when I tend to go for something similar to Laphroig, first one I actually liked after some terrible experiences with cheapo blended stuff from the corner shop.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.