Whisky

25 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Just tried to post a pic of my reciept but its nothaving it.

I called in this morning.... just 2 bottles left.... reduced to clear .... £13.60. I got another?

Is it the 12yo?  I heard they're withdrawing that from general sale in favour of their unaged stuff.

A sign of the times when quantity outdoes quality as too many people just focus on the £ figure.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Sadly it isnt the 12yo. However, as a bog standard supermarket single malt this sits right up there in its class and at 13.60 is still bloody good vfm.

Compare with say... Scapa. The once fabulous 12 and 14yo offerings from Orkney is now only a pale shadow of its former self.

Scapa has slipped right down my rankings and is replaced at the top by Clynelish..... but the cheapest im getting is £40+/bottle....

Just now, Robin Evans said:

Sadly it isnt the 12yo. However, as a bog standard supermarket single malt this sits right up there in its class and at 13.60 is still bloody good vfm.

Compare with say... Scapa. The once fabulous 12 and 14yo offerings from Orkney is now only a pale shadow of its former self.

Scapa has slipped right down my rankings and is replaced at the top by Clynelish..... but the cheapest im getting is £40+/bottle....

A key example of the problem is Ardbeg.  Used to be a price-peer with Laphroaig for their 10yo, but now it's £48 or so a bottle compared to Laphroaig's non-sale price of around £36.  Laphroaig have their non-aged Select that's rubbish but is a good seller and I think they're using that to subsidise the 10yo price.  I can't remember the last time I had an Ardbeg and that's a shame as it used to be in my top 5 whisky brands.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I'm not a peated whisky fan so i don't miss Ardbeg. Im more speyside and the salty freshness of the north and east coast and islands.

Im glad most distilleries appear to be resisting the urge to drive a more commercial brand and are sticking to their premium products. Otherwise it all becomes rather homogeneous 

Is that the Glenlivet Founder's Reserve? It's the no age mark one that they're making their entry level bottle. I got that on a deal in Sainsbury's a couple of months back - so clearly they're happy to see it discounted. Well worth it at the reduced price and really very decent indeed for an 'ageless' bottle.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

And the King of **** ups remains Jura.

Famous Grouse is better than that **** now.

The Famous Grouse smoky blend is actually really quite nice for a mass market blend.

• Like 2

Bought a bottle of this from Aldi yesterday and, imo, its bloody lovely...

image.jpeg.11b8bab456f2f7152ea54bb9d40f5c66.jpeg

And it's £17.49. :blink:

• Like 2
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Bowmore No.1 was at my local Sainsbury's for £23.

No age given, which seems to be the way the mainstream whisky industry is going these days, but good VFM.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Bought a bottle of this from Aldi yesterday and, imo, its bloody lovely...

image.jpeg.11b8bab456f2f7152ea54bb9d40f5c66.jpeg

And it's £17.49. :blink:

Some serious inroads made into that bottle too.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

7 minutes ago, Bearman said:

:)

Apologies, had to pinch that image off t'internet as my phone wouldn't upload the piccie  for some reason.

16 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

:)

Apologies, had to pinch that image off t'internet as my phone wouldn't upload the piccie  for some reason.

Shall we pretend to believe him? :wink: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

36 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Shall we pretend to believe him? :wink: 

Hic....hic....:blush:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2018 at 6:36 PM, Bearman said:

Ive been drinking bourbon of late as that was what my cheapskate family bought me for father's day. I happened to be in Aldi today and was going to buy myself a bottle of their bourbon when I spotted their Islay. 

What the heck have I been doing? The Islay is far superior.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Ive been drinking bourbon of late as that was what my cheapskate family bought me for father's day. I happened to be in Aldi today and was going to buy myself a bottle of their bourbon when I spotted their Islay. 

What the heck have I been doing? The Islay is far superior.

My family bought be a bottle of Jack Daniels a couple of years ago for Christmas thinking that whisky is whisky.  Heathens, the lot of them.

• Sad 1

Highland Park was on offer the last time I went to Sainsbury's should anyone be interested.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

35 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Staying in a holiday cottage half a mile from Norfolk’s English Whisky distillery.

Sampled a bit of their Original, Smokey and Sherry cask range - all of them not bad at all.

Got a bottle of their Rum cask for scientific, ahem, sampling purposes at home.

They screwed up very badly at first, they released whiskies just after they could legally call them "whisky" at the 3 year point.  It tasted like meths and smelled of sour grain.  That put off virtually every serious whisky drinker as it was just slightly above backyard whisky still quality.  I can understand why they did it, every year maturing is a year they make no money but it didn't half trash the brand.  Apparently, a few years later, it's getting better, some are onto second barrellings and starting to age nicely albeit still tasting young.

I was given a bottle of Chivas Regal 18 by some nice Hong Kong people that I helped out in Paris a couple of years ago.

In a fit of charitable benevolence I donated it to the local SPA dogs home event near Carcassonne the other week.  They ran a no lose tombola and some bloke walked up, paid 2 euros for his ticket, and swiftly headed off with fifty odd quids of hooch.  

The Whisky Gods being as they are, my big brother appeared the following week with a bottle of Quarter Cask Laphroaig.  Sod the dogs, this is going tummywards.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ckn said:

They screwed up very badly at first, they released whiskies just after they could legally call them "whisky" at the 3 year point.  It tasted like meths and smelled of sour grain.  That put off virtually every serious whisky drinker as it was just slightly above backyard whisky still quality.  I can understand why they did it, every year maturing is a year they make no money but it didn't half trash the brand.  Apparently, a few years later, it's getting better, some are onto second barrellings and starting to age nicely albeit still tasting young.

Interesting, I’m on one of their tours in half an hour and have a few questions to ask.

Their tasting tours come in a few formats including a world whisky tour where they pit their finest against the best in the world.

It’s a nice little setup although I can only really compare it to a speyside distillery tour I’ve once been on where we sampled some Royal Lochnagar (formerly the favourite tipple of Victoria and Albert).

Maybe like English wine it is an area of expertise that English distilleries might get better at with time.  I think water quality may be an issue as ckn has mentioned in the past.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1