TRL Helpdesk

Game of Thrones  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should I take the plunge?

• Yes, lose hours of your life years after everyone else did
    • No, not even remotely worth the hype

Really? I found it almost physically painful it's so badly written.

Trust me, there's much much worse out there. GoT is pretty decent, if long-winded.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Back in my day, this sort of stuff was the exclusive property of mechanical engineering students, now you can't move for orcs, wizards, dwarves and goblins! What has become of the world?

To be fair, that swinging giant chain used by the Night Watch to swipe climbing Wildlings off the face of the wall is pretty impressive.

:biggrin:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Back in my day, this sort of stuff was the exclusive property of mechanical engineering students, now you can't move for orcs, wizards, dwarves and goblins! What has become of the world?

That's The Hobbit, this is Game of Thrones.

What a loser!

In 'The Hobbit', the good guy usually wins. In 'Game of Thrones', on the other hand, he gets his skull popped like a pea pod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyOw7ScY4F4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

In 'The Hobbit', the good guy usually wins. In 'Game of Thrones', on the other hand, he gets his skull popped like a pea pod.

To be fair, I saw that one coming; Oberyn had a Peter Mandelson haircut.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Really? I found it almost physically painful it's so badly written.

I found the writing to be OK, the writing style is very typical for the genre.  The problem I found with the books is that they're badly paced and poorly edited meaning you can go whole books then he jumps back to a plot line that leaves you struggling to remember what's going on.  It doesn't help how slowly he writes meaning you have to re-read the whole lot to get into the spirit of the books again to appreciate the latest one.

As an aside, I finally finished the Raymond E Feist series of books last week.  I picked up his first, Magician, when I was about 14 at the library and it hooked me.  He lost it a bit to outright commercial greed in some of the books he wrote in the 2000s but finished the whole thing quite well.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyOw7ScY4F4

The problem is that as soon as he did the Bond baddie thing of not just killing him then you knew he was dead.  If I were an evil megalomaniac billionaire I'd have kill-on-sight orders for all good guys who we captured.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The problem is that as soon as he did the Bond baddie thing of not just killing him then you knew he was dead.  If I were an evil megalomaniac billionaire I'd have kill-on-sight orders for all good guys who we captured.

Se Peter's Evil Overlord List.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived