Fui Fui Moi Moi confirmed at Leigh

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

P & R has already failed in losing Bradford with their large fan base and decent academy, and London with their significant player pool. The "natural order" has clubs who despite rich owners fail to grow crowds and develop professional players. Will Leigh be the next Salford or the next Widnes?

If Castleford's acute lack of money means they hit the buffers what price no club from Calder being part of the natural order, the natural order has now left both Hull clubs outside the Super 8. Your natural order has been going one year and it's small clubs run by rich men who have the advantage over areas where RL is very strong indeed but faces decline.

I think we already have the mayhem and damage you fear but you don't recognise it. Rugby league may be that much stronger if big clubs from big areas like Hull, Bradford and Wakefield were able to mix it with Leeds, Saints, Wigan, Wire and Catalans.

I think you should look at the way the natural order is making the game recede back to the M62. No real junior RL in Scotland, Wales the Midlands and London set to go the same way. That's mayhem that's damage.

All I know is the "we're not going to change" campaign started on the pitch at POR with "merging on the ridiculous". If you thought that lot were creating Mayhem John then they were. They helped to scupper any thoughts boardrooms had of radical change to suit the changes the game proposed and needed to make. I think there were 4,650 at the game that day but when Fev sank in terms of playing fortunes by 2006 crowds were dipping below 1,000.

They all created mayhem, and when it left Fev in the third division they all stayed at home and watched SKY super sunday soccer instead.

Give a thought for the silent majority, those who don't create mayhem when the past isn't preserved, those who would be happy to put 10K crowds back into Odsal, those who given a successful Calder club would go along for the entertainment not for the diehard "tradition", those who'd really prefer to watch a Hull club win something cup shaped rather than a game over their local rivals, several thousand of them now sit at home since they did win something worthwhile.  

The failure to accept change has already created a "mayhem", the "damage" you fear John just may be damage already done.

Silent indeed

Paradoxically for such an outwardly progressive sport, it's always been difficult having progressive views in rugby league. During this period you really had to keep your head down as your friendly neighbourhood professional northerner strutted his stuff on local telly and all you could do was cringe. It was no uhh nd to be a near impossible task to open all those minds but the governing body handled it appallingly. A chance missed because people preserved their small town hatreds of the small town just down the road.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Silent indeed

Paradoxically for such an outwardly progressive sport, it's always been difficult having progressive views in rugby league. During this period you really had to keep your head down as your friendly neighbourhood professional northerner strutted his stuff on local telly and all you could do was cringe. It was no uhh nd to be a near impossible task to open all those minds but the governing body handled it appallingly. A chance missed because people preserved their small town hatreds of the small town just down the road.

So was it not the case in days past that in your sprawling metropolis there was 3 teams that hailed from the villages of Hunslet, Bramley and Headingley who had a fierce rivalry - much better term than hatred.

Fortunately for those of us who live on the west of the big hill, we did not have to witness your "local" telly, we were spared the influence of your "neighbourhood professionals" strutting his stuff.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

One of the ideas proposed for the re-structuring was 2 top divisions of 10.Just say this was introduced now - the reality is that we are a lot nearer to filling a second division of 10 teams than the top division.

If the top level was expected to deliver on field competition,10000 + gates and the rest that goes with it we only have 4 clubs.

A second division is more suited to teams like HullKR,Widnes,Cas etc - and they are probably neigher to a Leigh than a Wigan.

So was it not the case in days past that in your sprawling metropolis there was 3 teams that hailed from the villages of Hunslet, Bramley and Headingley who had a fierce rivalry - much better term than hatred.

Fortunately for those of us who live on the west of the big hill, we did not have to witness your "local" telly, we were spared the influence of your "neighbourhood professionals" strutting his stuff.

I haven't got a sprawling metropolis and I certainly don't come from one and my team is hunslet hawks

None of the suburbs of Leeds you mention have been villages since the industrial revolution and the contribution of Brantley to that fierce rivalry as you put it was vestigial. You know nothing about me and your speculation based on almost no information is making you look a little silly.

Ok envy your not having to endure the presence that professional northerners in your life's, especially during that period if the sports histiry

Keeping it local

So a thread about arguably the most exciting player signing by a championship club, the current no1 club outside superleague. ..and all the excitement that generates has deteriorated into yet another P&R v licencing bag o cak! Nice one.

Like none of this has ever been done before has it.... Over n over again!!! :rolleyes:

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

I haven't got a sprawling metropolis and I certainly don't come from one and my team is hunslet hawks

None of the suburbs of Leeds you mention have been villages since the industrial revolution and the contribution of Brantley to that fierce rivalry as you put it was vestigial. You know nothing about me and your speculation based on almost no information is making you look a little silly.

Ok envy your not having to endure the presence that professional northerners in your life's, especially during that period if the sports histiry

Calm down man, your fingers are beginning to stutter, read your post back to yourself.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Well we had Bramley and Hunslet, but going further back we had Holbeck and Kirkstall and even further back Wortley and Armley all whose roots are traceable. The rivalries were ten a penny then and clubs aspired to bigger and better things money being the only block.

The "Headingley" you refer to were  St. Johns who eventually found the money and a ground in Headingley (The Headingley club stayed loyal to Union right through to their ex player Paul Caddick taking them over) to rise above local rivalries, although the Hunslet derby became a highlight of the season.

I'm sure in the Leeds boardroom they would rather have had Cardiff or Harlequins then Hunslet on their fixture lists which is what clubs always aspired to, but the split scuppered that. 1996 was when the games came back together and the split was healed, and in the frenzy of joint RU/RL club plans (Leeds and London being the only ones to come to fruition) clubs aspired towards nationwide fixture lists of big clubs against big clubs.

The biggest split however is between clubs own aspirations and those of their fans. Clubs have always wanted the glamour of the big clubs, but somehow we have bred through circumstance a type of supporter who has exactly the opposite mentality.

Rather Wakey.v.Cas.v.Fev in the Championship than Calder.v. Leeds and Calder.v.Wigan.

Nobody cares about big time Rugby League as long as Rovers beat FC coz that's my season complete.

It's a question of where do clubs want to go, and who will go with them. The other question is who won't, and my guess is it's a tiny but very loud minority.

So a thread about arguably the most exciting player signing by a championship club, the current no1 club outside superleague. ..and all the excitement that generates has deteriorated into yet another P&R v licencing bag o cak! Nice one.

Like none of this has ever been done before has it.... Over n over again!!!

We've had far to much fun talking about this positive signing for a club thats trying to grow again.

Time for the fat controllers to take control of what we should be thinking again.Know your place son.

We've had far to much fun talking about this positive signing for a club thats trying to grow again.

Time for the fat controllers to take control of what we should be thinking again.Know your place son.

I agree it as gone off the OP a bit but they are right in what they are saying. If it was me I would of kept the bulls up relegated London and added Toulouse but that's just me. No club currently in the champ other than the bulls will add anything to SL or be anymore attractive than what's already in SL. This new system is the worst thing to happen to our sport and we will go back 20 plus years by introducing it. Our sport as moved forward massively since licencing was introduced now we are going back to the days of 50 plus scorelines every week that is boring and it definitely will put me off that's for sure. If your club is not full time that says to me they have no ambition so why would the average joe buy a season ticket? They won't only the die hards will and crowds will end up dropping to 1000 or below again for these clubs that are not full time. Crowds may grow at leigh bulls London but they certainly will decrease at Fev, fax wakey, Widnes c@s etc if their team is going to be in the middle 8 and the so called glory supporters of Fev fax etc wont stick around for long that is for sure so crowds will not rise on the whole they will decrease.

Like none of this has ever been done before has it.... Over n over again!!! :rolleyes:

Moi moi's signing is getting plenty of air time. It's perfectly legitimate and pertinent to talk about what his signing means in the broader sense

Keeping it local

i would have kept london,added toulouse if they could have afforded it and dropped wakefild and bradford..

you seem to have mixed up views gaz,you dont want fev to go pro now your moaning that gates will drop if they and others stay semi pro

Calm down man, your fingers are beginning to stutter, read your post back to yourself.

I have poor keyboard skills

What on earth has that got to do with anything

Keeping it local

i would have kept london,added toulouse if they could have afforded it and dropped wakefild and bradford..

you seem to have mixed up views gaz,you dont want fev to go pro now your moaning that gates will drop if they and others stay semi pro

I have never once said London should be in SL as they shouldn't. But if the question is who should be in SL leigh fev fax or london then its london hands down no contest what so ever. If they had the crowds definitely they should be. As for going pro no team in our league barring the 2 that have dropped down can realistically afford to go pro on gates less than 2500. Its just like someone as previously said a recipe for going bankrupt. Fev Leigh fax etc will not bring anything to the SL table that isn't already their its just taking our game back years by promoting one of those teams.Our sport needs to grow not be going backwards to the heartlands who can't attract many fans. I wasn't a fan of licencing but it was definitely the way to go as both comps were competitive especially the champ. Who wants to watch Fev fax etc next season playing for nothing and getting 50 put past them against the 3 pro clubs? Only die hards that's who and none of these clubs can afford to rely on die hards or they will go backwards dramatically. The new system will be boring other then the top 6 in SL and I for one won't be watching it only the top 6 clubs in the country will get my viewing under this ridiculous new system. I'm a fan of the game not a fan of my club like most are. I want the game to prosper in every aspect and england to win major tournament after major tournament but im afraid this new system will not get that just the opposite in fact. Good luck with your plight to the top flight but I'm sure you will be in our league still or in the middle 8s forever or god forbid bankrupt.

I have never once said London should be in SL as they shouldn't. But if the question is who should be in SL leigh fev fax or london then its london hands down no contest what so ever. If they had the crowds definitely they should be. As for going pro no team in our league barring the 2 that have dropped down can realistically afford to go pro on gates less than 2500. Its just like someone as previously said a recipe for going bankrupt. Fev Leigh fax etc will not bring anything to the SL table that isn't already their its just taking our game back years by promoting one of those teams.Our sport needs to grow not be going backwards to the heartlands who can't attract many fans. I wasn't a fan of licencing but it was definitely the way to go as both comps were competitive especially the champ. Who wants to watch Fev fax etc next season playing for nothing and getting 50 put past them against the 3 pro clubs? Only die hards that's who and none of these clubs can afford to rely on die hards or they will go backwards dramatically. The new system will be boring other then the top 6 in SL and I for one won't be watching it only the top 6 clubs in the country will get my viewing under this ridiculous new system. I'm a fan of the game not a fan of my club like most are. I want the game to prosper in every aspect and england to win major tournament after major tournament but im afraid this new system will not get that just the opposite in fact. Good luck with your plight to the top flight but I'm sure you will be in our league still or in the middle 8s forever or god forbid bankrupt.

Gas, I should be very worried if I was involved in the PR dept at Fev and read your comments regarding how you know what is going to happen to your club.

I have ambitions for my team, they may not be viable but they are still ambitions, negativity is like the bad apple, it spreads. When I go for a pint I am positive and try to persuade those I knew who used to attend to get back, and spread the gospel to those who are unbelievers. If when you meet people you comment as you do on these pages I would say you are probably right the attendance's down POR will drop, your despondency could well become infectious, after all they say bad news travels fast.

If your interest has wained to the extent you say, then save yourself you're well earned cash, don't go, but please let others make their own mind up.

Gas, I should be very worried if I was involved in the PR dept at Fev and read your comments regarding how you know what is going to happen to your club.

I have ambitions for my team, they may not be viable but they are still ambitions, negativity is like the bad apple, it spreads. When I go for a pint I am positive and try to persuade those I knew who used to attend to get back, and spread the gospel to those who are unbelievers. If when you meet people you comment as you do on these pages I would say you are probably right the attendance's down POR will drop, your despondency could well become infectious, after all they say bad news travels fast.

If your interest has wained to the extent you say, then save yourself you're well earned cash, don't go, but please let others make their own mind up.

Yes your spot on with everything you say I was just giving my opinion on the new system that's all nothing more nothing less.

I think I'd have to argue those points.  For sure, Leigh were the number 1 team last season in the Championship. But currently the number 1 club in the Championship has to be the Bulls.  Leigh are light years away from the club that the Bulls are and have recently been (notwithstanding seven years of financial hell).  It may well play out that Leigh do better on the pitch next season, and fair play to them, but let's not get carried away by putting the clubs on the same level.

The most exciting player being Fui Fui?  Possibly, but suspect not given his age and position, although he'll probably have some explosive moments.  However, I'd agree he's easily the biggest headline signing.  I think both Lee Gaskell and Jean-Phillip Baille, top SL players who signed up for a season in the Championship, will provide plenty more excitement as they carve up amateur defences in this wonderful new structure.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

gaz i think its time you stopped saying 'our game' as clearly you dont feel part of it anymore

yes i think your right. I will only watch the top 6 SL clubs next season and probably now spend my Sunday afternoons watching the over paid ballet dancers on super Sunday footy until our game decides to improve for the better instead of catering for small town clubs who don't bring anything to the table at all just complaints.

Jeez..best to die trying than in your sleep.

Who cares if Leigh fails. If FFMM does his bit and brings some glamour to Leigh good for them. There's no glamour watching the Bulls or whoever nod off and have a heart attack.

The other thing is that promotion is only likely to see you revisit the super 8's the year after, so this whole YO YO argument being bad is actually what the Super 8's will bring. However, it is designed for steady improvement rather than leaping into the unknown which is what we've had since 1995. 

One other derailed argument is crowds. Now frankly who cares because it's all about TV? If it looks like the game's being played in a mausoleum then that's what we need to address but if there's 4000 packed into a tidy little stadium baying for blood then what's to fix?

Oh and Bradford or Leigh being favourites?  I think Leigh, Bradford have some learning to do.

Archived