Fui Fui Moi Moi confirmed at Leigh

So it's OK for Wigan/Wire/Sts to utilise Leigh to sign young players but it's not OK for Leigh to utilise Leigh to sign young players? You have a strange logic Parky. 

You have a strange interpretation of what I am saying.

It's OK by me for Leigh and  Hunslet to sign their best local talent, but Hunslet can't because Leeds take them. Leigh suffer from bigger clubs taking them and will continue to do so.

I'm reflecting the reality of how Leigh even in SL will struggle to sign them when bigger clubs are calling. The ones who can offer both the money and the medals.

There's always this assumption once in SL your club will become a player magnet, but it doesn't work like that, the top SL clubs take all the best players. 

Do you see it differently?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand where you are coming from but British RL has created a situation whereby the same few clubs win the GF and a couple more gatecrash the party and win the CC every now and then. This means the same few teams can offer the money and medals. It's catch 22 and you are right in your assertion that the only way to break the monopoly is through money but even then the money men will be hampered by the SC. The same cartel of clubs will be winning the silverware for the foreseeable future or until the SC rules change. Whoopee doo.

rldfsignature.jpg

Gary,

Sorry, I'm happy to comment. but maybe happier that you retain your optimism rather than have it dented.

Anyway we start with the fact Warrington is a growing town with a population of over 200,000 people and the fact the club has also grown their team to be regularly competing for and at times winning the trophies.

It's true that they buy in most of their players, maybe that's why they defend their very poor record on developing their own by saying it's "small time thinking" to do that, but for them some very big names have eventually been happy to sign on with them.

Warrington I believe also do well because they are up there sparring with the mighty Saints and Wigan, and it would seem Superleague really have had two divisions. If Leigh get promoted you'll not effectively be in the same Superleague as Warrington unless you then go another step and get in that top "Super8"   

Now I don't know when your directors who are flashing the cash will reach their limit, but even if they have no limit them you may consider that the salary cap will constrain them and they will be fighting for better players with such as Mr. Koukash, Mr. Hudgell, Mr. O'Connor, Mr, Davey.

Just having Directors who can pay full salary cap is not enough to rise above the crowd. It merely leaves you in the crowd.

Leigh have no junior development as your two local clubs are scouted mercilessly by Wigan, Wire and Saints.

So on the basis of low population, limited spend due to salary cap, no junior development you will find it hard to get to Wire/Wigan/Saints level.

Try Salford/Widnes/Leigh as a reality, and you know what gates they get in SL.

Parky

Thanks for the reply, new you would not disappoint me.

Thourghly take you point re the conurbation of Warrington compared to Leigh, but you may not realise that the Warrington Postcode WA3 (put WA3 postcode area in Google) actually comes within half a mile of the Leigh Sports Village at its nearest point which is 8.2miles from the Halliwell Jones. The area includes all of Lowton and Golborne which are much closer to Leigh than Warrington, also other parts of the whole Warrington PC area is more football oriented than RL, so the 200k may be a little misleading in terms of RL.

As for the Junior development again, times are a changing, not so long ago it became very unfashionable with the juniors of the town to 'sign on' for Leigh, but the club are getting more and more involved with the junior clubs in the town, Paul Rowley as is the case with many of the other coaches at Leigh started with these clubs as kids, and the management and backroom staff are local, albeit it is early days but if the momentum of the club keeps going forward as it is now more of the homegrown will be staying put. 

As for the ability to attract the better players, well that is a che sara, sara  situation, but the improvements a club makes can only help the situation, along with the persuasiveness of the directors, the likeabillity of the club, the progression map that is demonstrated, and of course the contract. As I pointed out Warrington were not one of the Big Boys until the arrival Mr Moran, and maybe that is what keeps The good Doctor K, Mr Davy and Mr. O'Connor going, granted they are a few rungs ahead and further up the ladder than Mr. Beaumont and Leigh, but the aspirations and desire are there.

No my enthusiasm as not been dented, I have been on a bumpy ride for a long time with this club, first attending Hilton Park at the age of 7, I have seen them win at Wembley, win the Championship, been bottom of the second division and have known them to have been within a phone-call of extinction. As I said before we may not make it, but these are exiting times, and come what may I will still be turning up, anyway i'm happy, got my season ticket this last week.  

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

But surely you don't want a guarantee of promotion. Isn't that what sport is all about ?

Definitely not, and thankfully splashing the cash doesn't always work. Maybe "likelihood" would have been a better word to use than "guarantee".

1. Parky, Thanks for the reply.

2. Thoroughly take you point re the conurbation of Warrington compared to Leigh, the 200k may be a little misleading in terms of RL.

3. As for the Junior development again, times are a changing, but if the momentum of the club keeps going forward as it is now more of the homegrown will be staying put. 

4. As for the ability to attract the better players, well that is a che sara, sara  situation, but the improvements a club makes can only help the situation, along with the persuasiveness of the directors, the likeabillity of the club, the progression map that is demonstrated, and of course the contract.

5. As I pointed out Warrington were not one of the Big Boys until the arrival Mr Moran, and maybe that is what keeps The good Doctor K, Mr Davy and Mr. O'Connor going, granted they are a few rungs ahead and further up the ladder than Mr. Beaumont and Leigh, but the aspirations and desire are there.

6. No my enthusiasm as not been dented, 

1. Thanks for asking me to reply.

2. Not sure you take my point if you believe Warrington's catchment area for fans is misleading? Leigh have to suffer from Wigan being next door and next door Bolton being exclusively soccer. 

3. I'm not sure about your idea "more of the homegrown will be staying put". There are only a couple of established SL players playing who originate from Leigh and their junior clubs of which you have two. This is hardly a production line. 

I've no desire to try to put you down in terms of your enthusiasm for "what could be", but in terms of resources i.e. a fanbase and the production of junior players, your struggling and so....... 

4. If the club can go on building fine, but remember that making that jump up a league can slow the impetus and momentum down. Your following the same path as Widnes and on promotion to SL their forecast on increased crowds was way over the top and their ability to get their junior production line of old going again limited.

The obvious extra problem you have is having to get past bigger clubs to get into SL and then try to stay there against bigger clubs when you can end up straight back out. For you to build you need constant on field success. Widnes came bottom on promotion by licensing which enabled them to stay where they were and the following season they built to 10th. Under the current system they'd have been straight back out and that is the danger Leigh face.

5. Your best point. Leigh lack the resources to be an SL club proper but so do Salford, HKR, Widnes, Fartown and Castleford. Like them you have the resource of money to replace the empty seats and the lack of your own professionals coming through. Bradford now have a money man and resources so they remain a problem for you, if you can get up maybe you can pip Wakefield.

I can't argue too much with you about Warrington who in the past have lacked bums on seats and quality coming through the juniors too. The massive difference is you have to get growth from a difficult position - underfunded against the SL teams this year, having a big club like rejuvinated Bulls to get past to get a go at SL, and once there having to build whilst standing on a trap door.

Warrington had the massive advantage of going for growth under Moran in a shiney new ground as an established top eight club. 

6. Good, I'm sure my miserable (but honest) ramblings won't have dented your admirable optimism. I wish you well 

3. I'm not sure about your idea "more of the homegrown will be staying put". There are only a couple of established SL players playing who originate from Leigh and their junior clubs of which you have two. This is hardly a production line. 

Make your mind up Parky. One minute Wigan/Warrington/Sts were taking all the best Leigh juniors and the next there aren't any good players being produced by the Leigh amateur clubs.

rldfsignature.jpg

Make your mind up Parky. One minute Wigan/Warrington/Sts were taking all the best Leigh juniors and the next there aren't any good players being produced by the Leigh amateur clubs.

I can't have been be clearer that what few pro's the Leigh amateur clubs produce they end up at bigger Superleague clubs.

I never said there aren't any good players being produced by the Leigh amateur clubs. there are, but we are talking about Leigh born players who become regular professionals and would make a difference to Leigh if they stayed, and that's only the odd one every few years.

It's not a matter of me making my mind up it's a matter of you deliberately mis-reading my posts to find a way of discrediting them.

Why not stop sniping and do some research on the matter and challenge me with some facts of your own?  

I understand where you are coming from but British RL has created a situation whereby the same few clubs win the GF and a couple more gatecrash the party and win the CC every now and then. This means the same few teams can offer the money and medals. It's catch 22 and you are right in your assertion that the only way to break the monopoly is through money but even then the money men will be hampered by the SC. The same cartel of clubs will be winning the silverware for the foreseeable future or until the SC rules change. Whoopee doo.

Now that was a lot better.

If the SC rules change, and I assume you mean the cap is significantly raised, then surely the richest few chairmen will end up providing "the same few teams who can offer the money and medals".

So we will just have a different "same few teams" competing. Whoopee doo2.

Isn't the trick to get all clubs on an even keel?? 

In other news, Fui Fui Moi Moi has signed for Leigh! I can't believe nobody's mentioned it yet... :P 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1. Thanks for asking me to reply.

2. Not sure you take my point if you believe Warrington's catchment area for fans is misleading? Leigh have to suffer from Wigan being next door and next door Bolton being exclusively soccer. 

I've no desire to try to put you down in terms of your enthusiasm for "what could be", but in terms of resources i.e. a fanbase and the production of junior players, your struggling and so....... 

4. If the club can go on building fine, but remember that making that jump up a league can slow the impetus and momentum down. Your following the same path as Widnes and on promotion to SL their forecast on increased crowds was way over the top and their ability to get their junior production line of old going again limited.

The obvious extra problem you have is having to get past bigger clubs to get into SL and then try to stay there against bigger clubs when you can end up straight back out. For you to build you need constant on field success. Widnes came bottom on promotion by licensing which enabled them to stay where they were and the following season they built to 10th. Under the current system they'd have been straight back out and that is the danger Leigh face.

5. Your best point. Leigh lack the resources to be an SL club proper but so do Salford, HKR, Widnes, Fartown and Castleford. Like them you have the resource of money to replace the empty seats and the lack of your own professionals coming through. Bradford now have a money man and resources so they remain a problem for you, if you can get up maybe you can pip Wakefield.

I can't argue too much with you about Warrington who in the past have lacked bums on seats and quality coming through the juniors too. The massive difference is you have to get growth from a difficult position - underfunded against the SL teams this year, having a big club like rejuvinated Bulls to get past to get a go at SL, and once there having to build whilst standing on a trap door.

Warrington had the massive advantage of going for growth under Moran in a shiney new ground as an established top eight club. 

6. Good, I'm sure my miserable (but honest) ramblings won't have dented your admirable optimism. I wish you well 

Widnes or Leigh or any other club which manages to navigate the new system and get promoted will not go straight back down by finishing bottom. That was the old system. They will b e in a playoff league against teams with the deck stacked against them from the championship and will likely not be relegated.

At least it`s given Parky and the Mysterious one the thread to peddle out their usual contributions.... 

The chance only comes when others peddle their usual contributions from the other side of the fence which you don't mention, so I take it you think signing over the hill antipodeans because there's nobody else to sign, certainly no English players, and discussing how he well may not be bothered playing, but just wants the money is something exciting?

It may be lost on you but if the Super league coaches don't see him as adding value to their squads, and the Superleague chairmen don't see him "adding thousands" to the crowds, then how come the Leigh board have come up with this inspiring signing which has the wishful thinkers equating him to Andrew Johns at Warrington.

Happy to delete my contributions then we can leave it with a few warnings this guy is lazy, over the hill and wants a big pay day, balanced by views that his ten minutes a match stints will be be attended by literally thousands of new fans flocking to see this phenomenon. 

I hope he goes well and doesn't add to the Leigh players like Brierley and Barlow who wish they were somewhere else.

The chance only comes when others peddle their usual contributions from the other side of the fence which you don't mention, so I take it you think signing over the hill antipodeans because there's nobody else to sign, certainly no English players, and discussing how he well may not be bothered playing, but just wants the money is something exciting?

It may be lost on you but if the Super league coaches don't see him as adding value to their squads, and the Superleague chairmen don't see him "adding thousands" to the crowds, then how come the Leigh board have come up with this inspiring signing which has the wishful thinkers equating him to Andrew Johns at Warrington.

Happy to delete my contributions then we can leave it with a few warnings this guy is lazy, over the hill and wants a big pay day, balanced by views that his ten minutes a match stints will be be attended by literally thousands of new fans flocking to see this phenomenon. 

I hope he goes well and doesn't add to the Leigh players like Brierley and Barlow who wish they were somewhere else.

Woh, hang on a mo, Parky,

We have two statements from opposite camps re Brierley & Barlow, Mr. Hetherington says one thing and Mr. Beaumont says the opposite, we can take the pragmatic course and say "well we will never know the truth" or in my view if a comment is made such as yours, one must be well connected, care to elaborate?

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Woh, hang on a mo, Parky,

We have two statements from opposite camps re Brierley & Barlow, Mr. Hetherington says one thing and Mr. Beaumont says the opposite, we can take the pragmatic course and say "well we will never know the truth" or in my view if a comment is made such as yours, one must be well connected, care to elaborate?

It may be a silly careless comment in answer to a silly careless B.S. comment Gary, however I'm sure Barlow and Brierley would rather be at Leeds, just seen Shaun Lunt waxing lyrical how great it is there, so they're not alone. 

It may be a silly careless comment in answer to a silly careless B.S. comment Gary, however I'm sure Barlow and Brierley would rather be at Leeds, just seen Shaun Lunt waxing lyrical how great it is there, so they're not alone. 

Condoning illegal approaches again are we? I understand Mr Beaumont and Mr Hetherington had met and sorted that out - both players looking happy at Leigh from what I have seen

I am also sure Hall and Watkins would rather be at Souths, Burgess waxed lyrical about how great it was there.

Condoning illegal approaches again are we? I understand Mr Beaumont and Mr Hetherington had met and sorted that out - both players looking happy at Leigh from what I have seen

I am also sure Hall and Watkins would rather be at Souths, Burgess waxed lyrical about how great it was there.

I'm sure plenty of players would like to be at south's Hall and Watkins aren't among them.

According to Mr Beaumont no illegal approach ever happened, so I'm not sure what he needed to sort out.

One team seem to be on the way up and one seem to be on the way down. Wonder of that would influence any players decisions.?

I'm sure plenty of players would like to be at south's Hall and Watkins aren't among them.

According to Mr Beaumont no illegal approach ever happened, so I'm not sure what he needed to sort out.

Are you well connected Scotchy, no maybe's with you just definate statements.

• 4 weeks later...

Cant believe I have just read through all 13 pages, and a simple thread has become a R&P disaster !!

Lets get a few things straight, especially to the biggotted SL fans who have hijacked this thread with Rubbish !

1 - If Leigh average 3.5k this season, it will be an unbelievable achievement. We are the only Lancashire club in the division and other than Bradford, I can see no other teams bringing anywhere near a thousand fans through the turnstiles except Halifax and Featherstone. We have been in the wilderness for nearly 10 years and had to go through severe adversity. The resiliance needs to be applauded of what was potentially a closed shop !

2 - Leigh should get a 6k gate v Bradford, but I feel this may be more, simply because of the Buzz around Town and the timely signing of Mr MoiMoi. Irrespective of what people think, I feel he will rip trees in this division, and he will have a point to prove because he wants the second year of his contract.

3 - Some of the analysis in this thread was quite interesting, especially around projected gates. Leigh averaged 4700 in the 2005 season of doom and again that has to be commended with the lowest gates still being over 3000 due to the visits of London and the televised game v Wakefield. Some peole need to realise that there was absolutely no chance of Leigh being successful that season as all the players we wanted to to sign could not wait until we won the GF. The only signing of mention worth having was Craig Stapleton. The rest were journeymen and young kids struggling to come to pace of a FT environment.

4 - The infrastructure at Leigh is fantastic. Modern Stadia and a FT team for which has already gelled to the capacity of winning the division last year comfortably without going full tinme or without having the likes of Mr MoiMoi. It was that team that SHOULD have been last years challenge cup winners away from home and it is that belief that should result in the middle 8 being a success.

5 - Super League was becoming a little drab and boring, especially towards the latter end of the season with meaningless games and nothing to play for. We saw some pityful gates as a result of this and the demise of London with attendances of 1000 epitimises everything franchising had to offer the smaller clubs. London will win games next season and they have a decent squad which should finish top 4. I am hoping that fans will come back and make the club more sustainable. Can I just remind the SL biggots that Leighs season of 2005 was that under extreme adversity and unfairness. What was Londons excuse ? I fear that franchising has made Londons situation far worse and that relegation some time ago may have had a more positive effect.

6 - I cannot see average 7000 in SL if promoted, and the example of Widnes is a good one. The feel good factor will dwindle once we lose a few and it is obvious that any club not in the SL 12 that may get promoted will likely to become a yo yo club under the new format. Attendances will be boosted though by a couple of 10000+ crowds v Wigan and St Helens though. The friendly game v Wigan on Jan 18th will be a good indicator of the FuiFui factor as he is due to make his debut. If Wigan put out a strong team (and I wish they do), the attendance could be the highest we achieve this season !!

7 - Oh, and the new structure is the best thing since sliced bread ! RL needed refreshing and teams need to come out of there comfort zones. It is not at all impossible for the lakies of Leeds to be in the bottom 4 next season as I feel they have recruited poorly (and London beat them last season). It would be the kick up the backside RL needs !

Welcome to Leigh FuiFui. 35 or not, I am sure he has plenty left in the tank, and I am looking forward to seeing him in cherry and white. Its proof that there is more to RL than just SL and the RFL (love them or hate them) and played a masterstroke for me as every game really does count !!

Rant over !

Cant believe I have just read through all 13 pages, and a simple thread has become a R&P disaster !!

Rant over !

of course it has snowy... it's what happens over and over again

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

of course it has snowy... it's what happens over and over again

Oh the Irony Robin. Snowy himself posts the biggest P&R rant going.

How signing a big name player for SL and discussing how he may go in SL has nothing to do with Leigh's chances in SL under the current structure I don't know? Do you??

Why shouldn't people discuss this, it's as closely related as siamese twins.

If an opinion is offered then this board is all about debating them Take snowy's 10,000 crowds prediction for "Attendances will be boosted though by a couple of 10000+ crowds v Wigan and St Helens though".

Widnes' return to SL saw Widnes.v.Wigan 7,357 & Widnes.v.Saints 7,023.

Good luck to Leigh.

But the P&R things gets rammed over n over again. This thread was about celebrating Leigh ' s signing on an iconic figure in RL. Is he going to deliver the goods. Will he be over the hill and find the championship hard going in the UK...

But no.... We get the usual diatribe played out over n over n over again...

Start another thread to air the P&R thing!

There's already one substantial thread currently running in a circular fashion up to page god knows what .... All of the same bilge....

Another thread hijacked.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Archived