Relegation

1. Name that 10!!

2. Why do you think 12 professional Rugby League coaching & scouting teams have missed them??

No idea parky but like I say its all a matter of opinion but the 10 would be.

Gaskell, obrien, brierley, ridyard, Armstrong, Barlow, QLT, greenwood, worthington, yere, their is more their just off the top of my head.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Name that 10!!

2. Why do you think 12 professional Rugby League coaching & scouting teams have missed them??

Maybe because their opinions of a good player differs to somebody else's , or that these players at the time weren't mature enough , or maybe the coaches were and are rubbish , or maybe they aren't good enough , but I'me sure I'd look a better player playing with say Leeds , than with say Hunslet

All just your opinion , like everybody else's

No idea parky but like I say its all a matter of opinion but the 10 would be.

Gaskell, obrien, brierley, ridyard, Armstrong, Barlow, QLT, greenwood, worthington, yere, their is more their just off the top of my head.

I have to give you Brierley and Barlow, Leeds thought they may be good enough. For what I don't know? Cover in shirts 24 & 25 dual registering at Hunslet or replacements for Liam Sutcliffe and Brad Singleton??

Ridyard and Yere have been galloping around the Championship for a few years now. Both are clearly open to SL offers.

Why do you think they and others never actually got any. It's not as if they are undiscovered, I've seen 'em on Telly and in the flesh myself. How come the SL coaches and scouts missed them??

I have to give you Brierley and Barlow, Leeds thought they may be good enough. For what I don't know? Cover in shirts 24 & 25 dual registering at Hunslet or replacements for Liam Sutcliffe and Brad Singleton??

Ridyard and Yere have been galloping around the Championship for a few years now. Both are clearly open to SL offers.

Why do you think they and others never actually got any. It's not as if they are undiscovered, I've seen 'em on Telly and in the flesh myself. How come the SL coaches and scouts missed them??

Maybe because they would rather bring in over the hill Aussies instead of taking a punt on some of them? I don't know parky but Gaskell is better than some SL halfs. Maybe not good enough for saints leeds Wigan ect but he is def a SL player no doubt about it.

All just your opinion , like everybody else's

It's a poor contrived answer because you know full well I do not have any opinion on any of them, I merely suggest Barlow and Brierley because I assume Brian McDermott would have had them.

Everybody else seem to have opinions though that differ to professional coaches and scouts.

I have a simple position on this, If there are SL quality players in the Championship I will be guided by professional opinion, not by my mate Gaz.....

I don't expect you to tackle the simple point that if professional coaches and scouts don't see the talent, then it's most probably not there. 

Ridyard has had SL offers , just not enough to make it worth his while , Similarily Armstrong and Kay also SL offers , but not enough to be worth it to play half a dozen games a year and be shuffled round the country on DR , I'll put it another way , there are SL players I wouldn't even pay to play part time for Leigh , how Dom Crosby gets a game at Wigan god only knows , he came for 1 game on DR and mr Wane was told " don't bother again "

All opinions , but SL is so good that as long as we keep battering the Aussies nothing will change

I don't know parky but Gaskell is better than some SL halfs. He is def a SL player no doubt about it.

Gaskell is definitely an SL player, he was last year when he scuppered Leeds.

He is definitely a talented full time pro, he was at Saints and at Bulls in SL.

But he doesn't in any way qualify as these unknown mystery players who are SL quality whom Leigh will round up and make into a competitive SL team??

Now how have the SL coaches managed to miss Yere and Ridyard all these years??

Ridyard has had SL offers , just not enough to make it worth his while , Similarily Armstrong and Kay also SL offers , but not enough to be worth it to play half a dozen games a year and be shuffled round the country on DR ,

Blimey you've finally seen the light, and agreed with me.

What "SL quality" players there are in the Championship are rated 24 & 25 shirt low paid  bench warmers covering injuries.

Where are these championship gems who will be brought in by Leigh and fill the 1-17 shirts and go on to take SL by storm.

I dunno what happened there, did you answer too quickly??

A better way to put it parky is Ive seen players from the champ move up and make it ie england Zak crossley Finn hill Walmsley etc ect and I can honestly say their is better players in the champ at this present time than some of them.

Yeh Ridyard and Yere so why aren't they playing first team Superleague?

Gaskell is definitely an SL player, he was last year when he scuppered Leeds.

He is definitely a talented full time pro, he was at Saints and at Bulls in SL.

?

And yet the Saints fan on the previous page said he wasn't , who saw him the most , you ? , or the Saints fan ?

All opinions

Blimey you've finally seen the light, and agreed with me.

What "SL quality" players there are in the Championship are rated 24 & 25 shirt low paid  bench warmers covering injuries.

Where are these championship gems who will be brought in by Leigh and fill the 1-17 shirts and go on to take SL by storm.

I dunno what happened there, did you answer too quickly??

Where have I said Leigh will ' take SL by storm ' ?

Stop making things up , you aren't fooling anybody

There's one of Gaz's top answers already struck off the list.

Your not helping your own argument man, your going to pieces!!

Think before you post,

Just pointing out that it is all about opinions , be they yours , mine , a coaches , Anybodies , and they are all different , it doesn't necessarily mean certain ones are always right

There's one of Gaz's top answers already struck off the list.

Your not helping your own argument man, your going to pieces!!

Think before you post,

Lol so if you don't make it at saints your all of a sudden rubbish lol. Gaskell played in one of the worst SL sides ever last season. Put him in at wakey or one of the hulls etc and see how he goes. Put it this way he's miles better than Finn at c@s.

Lol so if you don't make it at saints your all of a sudden rubbish lol. Gaskell played in one of the worst SL sides ever last season. Put him in at wakey or one of the hulls etc and see how he goes. Put it this way he's miles better than Finn at c@s.

While at Saints, time & again Gaskell was taking on the line and either getting smashed & losing the ball or panicking and throwing out wild passes. He had neither the composure or physical strength to hold onto the stand off shirt he was given a chance at. It wouldn't matter which SL team he played for he would still be getting smashed and throwing poor passes.

Last year at the Bulls from the games I saw he was a complete turnstile in defence and couldn't catch a cold let alone a high bomb.

Gaskell had chances at SL level and failed to deliver time & again.

As I said previously some time in the Championship may help him develop his game and he may be ready to step back up to SL in the future. But the Gaskell playing now is certainly not SL standard.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Similarily Armstrong and Kay also SL offers , but not enough to be worth it to play half a dozen games a year and be shuffled round the country on DR ,

Not quite what happened with Armstrong. Saints offered him a full time contract, similar to the other players who were at the same level as him at the time but he turned it down. Not because it was a poor contract but purely because he wanted to do his full time Degree and only wanted a part time playing contract.

He's finished his degree now (doing a Masters I believe which isn't full time) and this has allowed him to go full time with Leigh this year.

I've no doubt if his performances continue as they are by next season there will be several SL clubs trying to sign him if Leigh dont make it into SL themselves.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

While at Saints, time & again Gaskell was taking on the line and either getting smashed & losing the ball or panicking and throwing out wild passes. He had neither the composure or physical strength to hold onto the stand off shirt he was given a chance at. It wouldn't matter which SL team he played for he would still be getting smashed and throwing poor passes.

Last year at the Bulls from the games I saw he was a complete turnstile in defence and couldn't catch a cold let alone a high bomb.

Gaskell had chances at SL level and failed to deliver time & again.

As I said previously some time in the Championship may help him develop his game and he may be ready to step back up to SL in the future. But the Gaskell playing now is certainly not SL standard.

All I can say to that is neither was Zak hardaker at Fev and look at him now SLs best full back.One thing I will say about Gaskell is it wouldn't surprise me if he comes back to bite saints at a later date for letting him go. Pressure etc also comes into it. Maybe he wasn't ready last season but he def is now.

Not quite what happened with Armstrong. Saints offered him a full time contract, similar to the other players who were at the same level as him at the time but he turned it down. Not because it was a poor contract but purely because he wanted to do his full time Degree and only wanted a part time playing contract.

He's finished his degree now (doing a Masters I believe which isn't full time) and this has allowed him to go full time with Leigh this year.

I've no doubt if his performances continue as they are by next season there will be several SL clubs trying to sign him if Leigh dont make it into SL themselves.

Yes I know the situation with Tom , in petrochemicals I think , but still the point being it wasn't enough to commit his future at the time

All I can say to that is neither was Zak hardaker at Fev and look at him now SLs best full back.One thing I will say about Gaskell is it wouldn't surprise me if he comes back to bite saints at a later date for letting him go. Pressure etc also comes into it. Maybe he wasn't ready last season but he def is now.

But Hardaker was 18 at that point, Gaskell is 24

But Hardaker was 18 at that point, Gaskell is 24

Yes very true but isn't age just a number? Some players take time to mature and others don't. I'm not saying Gaskell is going to be the worlds best 7 etc etc all I'm saying is, he is SL standard from what I've seen of him so far. And I fully don't expect him to be at bulls next season unless they go up. But like I say that's just my opinion and everyone else as theirs on every player not just Gaskell. Like chase some like him some don't some rate him some don't. Every player is like marmite to everyone's opinion. All I'm saying is up to now he is the best champ player I've ever seen.

Yes very true but isn't age just a number? Some players take time to mature and others don't. I'm not saying Gaskell is going to be the worlds best 7 etc etc all I'm saying is, he is SL standard from what I've seen of him so far. And I fully don't expect him to be at bulls next season unless they go up. But like I say that's just my opinion and everyone else as theirs on every player not just Gaskell. Like chase some like him some don't some rate him some don't. Every player is like marmite to everyone's opinion. All I'm saying is up to now he is the best champ player I've ever seen.

it is but Hardaker came up and spent a season as a reserve/fringe player, then a season as a stop gap at centre learning, Gaskell does that he is knocking on for 27 before making a position his own, how many players are coming through that late?

I also think that players make faster progress at a younger age, You don't often see players make huge leaps in quality at 25/26/27 especially in the backs.

Iv seen a fair bit of Gaskell and he was a good youngster who seemed to hit wall in his development, whilst hardaker for instance has gotten better and better and better, Gaskell didn't, he stalled and lost a bit of ground. Maybe you are right and Gaskell is fulfilling the potential he first showed but I don't see it. At very best he could be a bit of a utility at a lower SL side/

Just pointing out that it is all about opinions , be they yours , mine , a coaches , Anybodies , and they are all different , it doesn't necessarily mean certain ones are always right

Really?

So the SL coaches and scouts merely have opinions no different to ours?

They are professional judges with a lot of experience and on here we're not, but some of us want to pretend we are equal to the pro's to maintain the idea the Championship has plenty of SL quality players in there?

Hmmm not convinced. Gaskell had a shot at SL and had too many failings for Saints to take a gamble and offer him a new contract. He could well be one of those players who stands out at Championship level but doesn't quite have what it takes at SL level, time will tell.

In the championship a half back invariably get more time & space and can show off their skills. At SL level they get closed down far more quickly and unfortunately when put under this kind of pressure Gaskell far too often came up with errors time & again, either losing the ball in the collision or panicking and throwing a wild pass.

A few years in the championship could be just what he needs to learn some composure and let his body fully develop to the rigours of the game. I hope he does develop and one day comes back into SL, but at the moment he's just not ready.

There is no doubt in my mind Saints would be a better squad with Gaskell in it.

Archived