Relegation

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see any club going up myself. We just played bradford and ok they won 40-4 but they are nothing special when it comes to SL clubs. Without Gaskell they would be average I reckon. Fev were very poor on Sunday probably the worst they've played in years and I still think the scoreline flattered bradford. We were camped on bradfords try line for the first 20 mins of the game but didnt score but thats more to do with our attack being poor than bradfords defence. A SL club would of been out of sight in the first 20 mins i reckon. Dont get me wrong they are a good side but they are a long way off beating SL clubs week in week out. We haven't played leigh yet but judging by their results they are not much better than last season if they are better but we will know more a week on Sunday how good they are this season. But I would fancy Cas hudds etc who are in the bottom 4 at present to put a score on bradford. If any club will go up it will be leigh or bradford but I just can't see it myself hope I'm wrong though as I hope the middle 8 games between SL and the championship are not blow out games.

Much as, in my opinion Fev played just as well as they were allowed to play last week, the bulk of what you say is something I would agree with though.

The Bulls are not an SL side; they are a championship team, built to a championship salary cap. The SL team largely departed before, during and at the end of last season. For sure, they still have a few decent players; O'Brien, Ferguson, Gaskell, Lauaki and Purtell amongst others, but they would find it extremely difficult playing a super league team built on twice the cap and used to playing at SL speed and SL intensity every time they go out, and not just occasionally.

It is also very unusual for 'giantkilling' to take place in RL - it's far more difficult than in soccer where you only have a very small target to defend and not the whole goal line. In soccer, if you can 'nick' a goal you have the chance to defend that tiny target for all you're worth, that just doesn't work in RL.

Even the idea that the lower level team will treat this game as 'their cup final' is meaningless, since, in these circumstances, the SL club will certainly be doing the exactly the same.

For what it's worth I don't really think anyone will be promoted under this system, so we'll all have to wait until they bring back either straight P&R or licensing. I hope I'm wrong, obviously..

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Before the season kicked off, I said you can't really guess any of the teams to be certainties in that SL bottom 4, but if I had to guess I would have put one of the Hull clubs in there - especially FC just because silly stuff like last night always seems to happen to them. After their first two results I think they probably will make the top 8 overall - didn't see the match yesterday, but it seems like last night was a bit of Leeds turning on the style.

I know it's all a bit of a tounge in cheek post from Wellsy but if FC did play in the Super 8s I think they'd be more than fine; as others say the squad is far too good for the Championship sides, and presumably you'd hope Radford would be long gone.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

While I expect the 4 SL clubs to be the ones going up, I suppose one argument in favour of the championship clubs would be that losing & winning can be habit forming. The bottom SL club might have won only 3 or 4 out of their first 23 games before the final phase, the top championship club might have only lost 3 or 4. Might be difficult   Injuries & suspensions might come into play too for a one-off game. 

While I expect the 4 SL clubs to be the ones going up, I suppose one argument in favour of the championship clubs would be that losing & winning can be habit forming. The bottom SL club might have won only 3 or 4 out of their first 23 games before the final phase, the top championship club might have only lost 3 or 4. Might be difficult   Injuries & suspensions might come into play too for a one-off game. 

There is that.

There's also the point that a club looking secure in the top four has the opportunity to maybe leave out those who might be struggling with 'knocks and pulls', the sort of injury players often tend to play on with. Given that bottom 4 SL teams will most likely be busting a gut [maybe, quite literally] so as not to be bottom 4 teams and will play injury hit stars in some kind of desperate effort not to be involved in the middle 8, it is one more advantage top championship treams may have, come the qualification games.

With the odds stacked against though, I still feel it's slim pickings but no doubt we'll take what we can get!.

A SL club spending double the championship club on the worst players in SL, but will they be better than the best in the Championship now the top 2 will be FT

sadly leigh could go all season undefeated and their points will get reset! The team whos fourth could have lost 5-6 games and end up above leigh in the middle 8!

sadly leigh could go all season undefeated and their points will get reset! The team whos fourth could have lost 5-6 games and end up above leigh in the middle 8!

No different to the 2001 season then, when we came top by a country mile and still didnt go up. At least there are 4 spots up for grabs rather than 1

The argument was that the promoted team wouldnt beat the relegated team , now we will know , but for this system to work requires eventually all the Championship to become full time

the bait is laid.

I imagine a 25 page thread is on it's way.

What, with you two childishly trying to spoil the debate because you don't like the way this so called P & R is going.

If its Full Time v Full Time , the salary cap is of little consequence

It has every consequence because CC teams are not only cheaper by near half, but the so called professionals were players SL didn't want. Talk about head in the sand.

Enough posts are coming through now the game is on, from enough considered posters looking at it neutrally to see a major realisation amongst fans that P & R is not back unless it happens, and it may never happen.

You two have been duped by Woody.

What, with you two childishly trying to spoil the debate because you don't like the way this so called P & R is going.

It has every consequence because CC teams are not only cheaper by near half, but the so called professionals were players SL didn't want. Talk about head in the sand.

Enough posts are coming through now the game is on, from enough considered posters looking at it neutrally to see a major realisation amongst fans that P & R is not back unless it happens, and it may never happen.

You two have been duped by Woody.

So you are saying that there are no players outside SL who are good enough for SL ?

What is a ' considered poster ' ?

" P and R is not back unless it happens " , obviously Einstien , and if it doesn't , then it means the Championship teams aren't good enough , isn't that the whole point ?

So you want teams that aren't good enough to be promoted , why ?

Well, it's happened before, though that was straight P&R. The chances this time are somewhat more limited, I'd suggest.

In terms of who they might be replaced by, It's also worth pointing out that, as injuries take their toll, the players involved may be a little different from the ones we start out with, and those with the deepest pockets [aka higher cap] tend to have the deepest squads.

Well, it's happened before, though that was straight P&R. The chances this time are somewhat more limited, I'd suggest.

From 2011 to 2012 Widnes were promoted to SL and Crusaders relegated to CC1.

Though that was straight Licensing. The chances this time could be non existent.

The question for people is would that Hull first half before they tired have blown Leigh and Bradford away?

From 2011 to 2012 Widnes were promoted to SL and Crusaders relegated to CC1.

Though that was straight Licensing. The chances this time could be non existent.

The question for people is would that Hull first half before they tired have blown Leigh and Bradford away?

Or would Leigh and Bradford have been 14 points up , or if your uncle had a ............ , and so on , and so on ?

Anyway , answer my questions from the previous page

The argument was that the promoted team wouldnt beat the relegated team , now we will know , but for this system to work requires eventually all the Championship to become full time

No, the argument was being slightly better than some thing not good enough, does not make you good enough.

Archived