Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Labour leadership contest

Which of the candidates would make you more likely to vote Labour if they win the leadership?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the candidates would make you more likely to vote Labour if they win the leadership?

• Andy Burnham
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Liz Kendall
    • I would never vote Labour
  2. 2. Did you vote Labour in the 2015 General Election?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you have a vote in the Labour leadership election?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Who would you vote for in the Labour leadership election?

• Andy Burnham
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Liz Kendall

Of course the usual right wing mob on here would have had a field day if he preached comprehensive education and Sent his kids to grammar school

Yep.

Also, it was implied that the only reason he divorced from his wife was due to this one issue only, when it was evidently not.

I've shifted the off-topic discussion about former coalition minister Norman Lamb's comments on the UK becoming a one-party state to a new thread, here:

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php/topic/273395-former-minister-says-the-uk-is-becoming-a-one-party-state/

Please stick to discussion related to the Labour leadership election in this one. Thank you.

The deadline for joining the Labour Party to take part in the leadership election has now passed. The party website crashed under the strain this morning.

They have my sympathy. I've had days like that on here! :ph34r:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/12/labour-extends-leadership-vote-registration-deadline-website-crashes

I don't think Corbyn is the right person for the job but if it flushes a few MP's like Danczuk out of the party it might be a good thing!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/well-try-to-oust-jeremy-corbyn-on-day-one-if-members-pick-him-says-labour-mp-simon-danczuk-10451581.html

Plus its a bit rich of Danczuk after the 'problems' he had getting nominated.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I don't think Corbyn is the right person for the job but if it flushes a few MP's like Danczuk out of the party it might be a good thing!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/well-try-to-oust-jeremy-corbyn-on-day-one-if-members-pick-him-says-labour-mp-simon-danczuk-10451581.html

Plus its a bit rich of Danczuk after the 'problems' he had getting nominated.

Danczuk had two main assets - and they left with his wife.

I'm getting mightily fed up with some of the Blairites throwing their toys out of the pram simply because their assumption that they'd easily re-gain control of the party has been disproven. It could turn out to be 500,000 people vote in this election, which is fantastic for those of us who actually believe in democracy, and for a handful of MPs to threaten to ignore or even override that decision is pathetic.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

As Danczuk is showing values not compatible with Labour, should he be allowed to vote?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Danczuk had two main assets - and they left with his wife.

I'm getting mightily fed up with some of the Blairites throwing their toys out of the pram simply because their assumption that they'd easily re-gain control of the party has been disproven. It could turn out to be 500,000 people vote in this election, which is fantastic for those of us who actually believe in democracy, and for a handful of MPs to threaten to ignore or even override that decision is pathetic.

I agree with the sentiment and I'm not in favour of anyone attempting to topple whoever wins this leadership election, but if Corbyn does win, he will have a big problem demanding loyalty from MPs to the party leader, as he's rarely shown any himself to previous leaders whose policies he has disagreed with.

In what way would so-called 'Blairites' rebelling against his party whip in future be any different to him rebelling against previous party whips, which he has done on hundreds of occasions. He has built his entire leadership campaign on what he regards as his principled opposition to stuff he doesn't agree with, so can't then criticise others for doing likewise.

This is one of the reasons I don't want him to win. He can't unite the party. And divided parties don't win elections.

'It's my Party and I'll cry if I want to

You would cry too, if it happened to you'

:girlwah::girlcray: 

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

610,753 people possibly eligible to vote in the Labour leadership election.

Tweet this evening from Labour: Verification process continues, but total figs of those who applied for a vote: Affiliated: 189,703, Registered: 121,295, Members: 299,755

Affiliated & Registered together now outnumber full members.

I think we know where this is heading...

Wonder if the big sign up is to keep Corbyn out?  Or a big F you to vote him in?

610,753 people possibly eligible to vote in the Labour leadership election.

Tweet this evening from Labour: Verification process continues, but total figs of those who applied for a vote: Affiliated: 189,703, Registered: 121,295, Members: 299,755

Affiliated & Registered together now outnumber full members.

I think we know where this is heading...

Heading for a Corbyn win under an electoral system that was not of his making, but ironically designed to limit the power of the unions who the right in the party thought might elect someone like Corbyn. I don't doubt that right wing #### like Danczuk will try to stage a coup, the right have always taken power in the Labour Party by subterfuge and naked opportunism. However, they will fail this time because politics has changed, and the popularity that Corbyn will gain in the polls will ensure he defeats Johnson in 2020.

I think it will be May leading the Tories in 2020. If Corbyn was elected leader I can't seem him making it to 2020. The infighting would make the usual Tory split on the EU look like a mild disagreement.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

Labour will be struggling in 2020 regardless of the leader, they need so many seats to catch up

Mark Steel (comedian) has had his application rejected, due to not supporting the values of labour...

I think it will be May leading the Tories in 2020. If Corbyn was elected leader I can't seem him making it to 2020. The infighting would make the usual Tory split on the EU look like a mild disagreement.

The battle for leadership of the Tory party, between Johnson, May and Osborne will be a bloodbath. The Tories always get internecine when they are at their most arrogant. They have never been more so than now.

Mark Steel (comedian) has had his application rejected, due to not supporting the values of labour...

I'm not sure I understand the "values of Labour".  Will they be kicking out Skinner then?  What about the other left-end of the Labour party MPs who share very similar views to Steel?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I'm not sure I understand the "values of Labour". Will they be kicking out Skinner then? What about the other left-end of the Labour party MPs who share very similar views to Steel?

Absolutely, and I would contend that Dennis's values are a lot nearer to most people's ideas of Labour than careerist idiots like Danczuk.

Absolutely, and I would contend that Dennis's values are a lot nearer to most people's ideas of Labour than careerist idiots like Danczuk.

Just out of interest, I read the Labour Rule Book (2013 and current edition).  There's no rule in there about members being not accepted for simply having different views, the list of exclusions is fairly simple and easy to understand so I wonder what justification they're using for banning applicants like Steel.  I can understand those who are Tory members as they are easily caught by an exclusion.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Labour will be struggling in 2020 regardless of the leader, they need so many seats to catch up

Because basically he's a SWP man ok he withdrew years ago because they had as much chance of gaining seats as Weary Rhino's looney brigade

The battle for leadership of the Tory party, between Johnson, May and Osborne will be a bloodbath. The Tories always get internecine when they are at their most arrogant. They have never been more so than now.

You wish more like

The Tories could have Ronnie Corbett as leader and still beat "your" new party leader elect

BTW who is the leader of Left unity?

Maybe my CLP is completely out of sync with everyone else but it voted to nominate Yvette Cooper and at drinks tonight for undecideds she had the most 'votes' by a long way - more than the other three combined.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I'm not sure I understand the "values of Labour".  Will they be kicking out Skinner then?  What about the other left-end of the Labour party MPs who share very similar views to Steel?

The difference between Dennis Skinner and Mark Steel is that one of them has spent his entire political life within the Labour Party fighting for what he believes in, remaining loyal to the party regardless of its ebbs and flows from left to right over the years, and one of them hasn't. One of them will remain in the Labour Party whoever wins the leadership election, fighting to achieve a Labour government, and one of them most probably wouldn't unless one particular candidate wins.

Maybe my CLP is completely out of sync with everyone else but it voted to nominate Yvette Cooper and at drinks tonight for undecideds she had the most 'votes' by a long way - more than the other three combined.

Maybe the panic/reality is getting through,vote for the looney left Corbyn and face oblivion

Best thing the other 3 can do is 2 drop out and let it be a straight fight between lunancy and debatable chance

Best thing the other 3 can do is 2 drop out and let it be a straight fight between lunancy and debatable chance

John Mann was saying the same on Newsnight, except HE WAS SAYING IT A LOT LOUDER!