Stop buying Time and Sunday times

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a daily cirulation of hundreds of thousands, any boycott would be futile and would strengthen the image of chippyNess.

If a media company through its relationship with a rival sport deliberately minimises and frankly derides RL then in whose interests is it to continue supporting said company? And the image of chippiness is touted by those with an interest in portraying chippiness whether real or imagined,  frankly imagined.

If a media company through its relationship with a rival sport deliberately minimises and frankly derides RL then in whose interests is it to continue supporting said company?

The same media company that provides the bulk of our sport's income worldwide and has a significant shareholding in some of our biggest clubs? Newspapers are dying off naturally without any help from us, so why worry about it?

The same media company that provides the bulk of our sport's income worldwide and has a significant shareholding in some of our biggest clubs? Newspapers are dying off naturally without any help from us, so why worry about it?

Online news is rising, only getting bigger and RL's profile is dwindling in those outlets so that's why we should worry about it.

Does anyone still buy Newspapers and Magazines these days?

The fact we have a class/caste led media still does not say much good about the state of play here.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

The fact we have a class/caste led media still does not say much good about the state of play here.

Just reflecting the wishes of the society it serves. Promote as a class driven sport, get treated as such.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Just reflecting the wishes of the society it serves. Promote as a class driven sport, get treated as such.

There are more upperclass people than middle and working class that buy papers?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

I buy a paper for the sports analysis, the Times, Rugby league express.

I don't agree with everything written but writers like Gary Schofield are thought provoking and interesting to read.

So Jones' article was thought provoking and interesting in your opinion?

There definitely wasn't any accurate analysis or even anything close to the truth

You posting other people's quotes without providing any comment yourself doesn't really contribute to the thread either.

Your most profound post to date by a country mile. I hope you can keep this standard up.

I agree with you, he just follows my posts and writes irrelevant comments.

There are unfortunately people here who don't like debate and they try to intimidate others who have a different opinion. It is a pity as there are many informed people here. Finally, why don't those who hate union join a Union fans forum and debate Burgess and Jones there?

Lee, I was meaning Gary Schofield, I had just read his article in the league express when I posted.I didn't mention Stephen Jones. Actually I Think Stuart Barnes is the best Union journalist.What do you think?

Your post didn't read to me that you only meant Schofield and you had mentioned the ST and Jones article earlier

Barnes is poor. All articles are pushing his Jen agenda and just like when he is on the TV he murders the Englosh language with his turn of phrase

His continued attacking of Lancaster has been dreadful. All his articles have read as personal attacks

All journalists have their own view but the best present balanced articles that are well thought out, well researched and excellently written. The best Times journalist by Matt Calland's "Country Mile" is Mike Athertom who's articles are always first class and based on reality without any of it feeling like it was better in my days

I have noticed that anyone who doesn't hate union or tries to be constructive on this forum gets abused or bullied.

Those people spoil the forum as they put off people who are constructive and intelligent - whuch is a pity as there are some very nice people here.

That's a bit of sweeping statement

You can like RU but need to provide some supporting evidence for statements made just like someone who posts in favour of RL

Your most profound post to date by a country mile. I hope you can keep this standard up.

You do understand the meaning of what I wrote dhw?  I know you're not the sharpest tool in the box. :tongue:

Rugby League - a sport where shape and size does not limit your potential

There are unfortunately people here who don't like debate and they try to intimidate others who have a different opinion. It is a pity as there are many informed people here. Finally, why don't those who hate union join a Union fans forum and debate Burgess and Jones there?

There is a cross code forum people who wish to discuss union Stephen, as well you know..  No intimidation intended BTW.  I was just wondering if you had a pc issue as many of your posts having nothing in them.  If it's intentional then it is quite bizarre.

Rugby League - a sport where shape and size does not limit your potential

Online news is rising, only getting bigger and RL's profile is dwindling in those outlets so that's why we should worry about it.

Indeed. The Mail and Guardian seem to be the 2 UK based media outlets that have grasped the concept of "global" news the best and are therefore ranking high in the "traffic stakes".

Print Media, whilst dying slowly does still have a part to play, but nowhere near where it was 20 years ago and as such, electronic and social media is the way to promote RL to the masses.

Jones or any of his ilk are dinosaurs, who as they die away will not be replaced. Freelance journalists and on-line bloggers are the future and as a sport we need to build up a structured network where "unbiased" information can be transmitted to fans and a potential new audience.

It has been noticeable here in NZ that for the first couple of days the SB return was just a League story, but on his landing in Sydney, he was referred to by the TVNZ sports reporter as Union defector, Sam Burgess......this s the first time in 6 years here I've seen state sponsored bigotry at play on behalf of Union......but on-line and around social media, it is still just about a returning RL player.

It's frustrating that we don't seem to get a fair shout on the "mainstream" media, but times are changing and if we do the groundwork now, it'll pay dividends in a few years.

Apologies for getting this back on topic BTW! ;)

Indeed. The Mail and Guardian seem to be the 2 UK based media outlets that have grasped the concept of "global" news the best and are therefore ranking high in the "traffic stakes".

Print Media, whilst dying slowly does still have a part to play, but nowhere near where it was 20 years ago and as such, electronic and social media is the way to promote RL to the masses.

Jones or any of his ilk are dinosaurs, who as they die away will not be replaced. Freelance journalists and on-line bloggers are the future and as a sport we need to build up a structured network where "unbiased" information can be transmitted to fans and a potential new audience.

It has been noticeable here in NZ that for the first couple of days the SB return was just a League story, but on his landing in Sydney, he was referred to by the TVNZ sports reporter as Union defector, Sam Burgess......this s the first time in 6 years here I've seen state sponsored bigotry at play on behalf of Union......but on-line and around social media, it is still just about a returning RL player.

It's frustrating that we don't seem to get a fair shout on the "mainstream" media, but times are changing and if we do the groundwork now, it'll pay dividends in a few years.

Apologies for getting this back on topic BTW! ;)

The Mail & The Guardian both do the online via different methods

The former use "celebrity" photos and articles whilst the latter seems to stick to more traditional news & stories. Both interestingly don't charge or limit access

Yes.  Lots of people do.  I don't know where people get the idea that nobody reads paper copy.  I read the print copy of The Sunday Times every week, I read the print copy of League Express and League Weekly every week and I read the print copy of Rugby League World and the marvellous Forty 20 every month.  I love reading print copy.  It is far more relaxing and it is far easier to navigate than online material. 

Archived