Stop buying Time and Sunday times

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really feel as a Rugby League fan that this paper treats our sport as a piece of sh*t in their shoes.

Barnes., Jones and Ackerman just write rubbish or worse still nothing

I will never buy the paper again

The simple truth of the matter is that THE TIMES and THE SUNDAY TIMES are aimed at people who they think like union

I shall continue to buy the Sunday Times. I don't read the sports section, its normally just full of soccer match reports that try to digest the game in a few paragraphs.   I don't mind reading others opinions even if they don't follow my own views.   Otherwise I'd be getting like those more extreme persons that would like to attack and shut down any expression that didn't follow their views. As distinct from putting forward alternative argument and debate.

Mind you this is the only on-line forum I read. I can never read on-line newspapers as they are so difficult to read with the adverts slowing the page down.  Mind you I am a little older and always buy books rather that e-book type which I have tried but much prefer paper.  Good to see Amazon opening a real book store too so maybe I'm not a minority.

Mind you this is the only on-line forum I read. I can never read on-line newspapers as they are so difficult to read with the adverts slowing the page down.  .

Use Ad Block. Recently introduced as one of Apple's "state-of-the-art" enhancements. (Let's ignore the fact that's it's been available on PCs for years as a free download)

The simple truth of the matter is that THE TIMES and THE SUNDAY TIMES are aimed at people who they think like union

or the newspaper thinks that's what interests more of the demographic that they are aiming its readership at.  Their demographic model may be wrong but I assume they have marketing department that thinks otherwise.

I am one of the few saddos who still reads a newspaper and I get the Times and the Sunday Times because, overall, I find it the best read.

That said (and I have said this many times before) I was appalled by the way RL was treated this weekend; it was just awful and probably the worst yet.  Stephen Jones's article on Burgess was terrible and extremely derogatory.  Set against only a sliver of coverage on an international with 45,000 attending, the message was clear. 

In saying that, there are far too many opinion pieces on all sports.  All you need is a half page on the match, a list of who played and the score, and maybe a photo.

You don't need lists of each writer's favourite team, articles about where every fecker went to school and endless quotes about how its getting the little things right and hopefully they'll get a result on the day and how they're all massively excited to be playing in such a massively massive match at the weekend and how they'll all learn from the experience win or lose. 

I read the Times & ST despite the RL coverage. This weekend was a real low point in the writing - Ackfords piece on Saturday was shameful. Only plus point seems to be that Jones, Barnes et al seem to be out of step with current players and thinking, the more they rant the more they seem out of touch with the modern world.

I have tried over the last six months or so to try other papers but what they gain in Rl coverage they lack in other depts - any suggestions?

I read the Times & ST despite the RL coverage. This weekend was a real low point in the writing - Ackfords piece on Saturday was shameful. Only plus point seems to be that Jones, Barnes et al seem to be out of step with current players and thinking, the more they rant the more they seem out of touch with the modern world.

I have tried over the last six months or so to try other papers but what they gain in Rl coverage they lack in other depts - any suggestions?

I get The Times and, through my subscription, can get a digital version of The Sunday Times too but rarely bother as it's mostly guff - never mind the RU stuff in there.

But I have been reading a little more of their RU coverage of late, mainly to follow the Sam Burgess story. Stuart Barnes has generally been pretty fair on this whole story, but Ackford less so and Jones...well he's just a loon.

Side note - the 'Good Riddance' front page of their Saturday sports section clearly didn't make all editions. The edition I had led with the FA Cup.

For me, there are too many good reasons to stop subscribing (Mike Atherton, Gab Marcotti, Matthew Parris, Janice Turner, Danny Finkelstein etc.) and also I understand their obsession with RU. Give (most of) your readers what they want.

Besides, suggestions of boycotts make RL supporters sound shrill and petty.

To be honest I wouldn't worry about it.  The RL community is not the demographic they are targeting and so any protest from us will fall on deaf ears and it seems like their latest round of content is being universally derided by the Union community anyway.

Besides, I like the fact we live in a society where people can state whatever opinions they hold, that is far better than the alternative.  Plus, it is sometimes refreshing to read views from 'the other side', I occasionally read the Daily Mail which confirms my own sanity!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The Times has always been considered to have  'been a long time bastion of the English Establishment and empire' and still has a "Court Circular" section which advises it's readers what The Countess of Wessex, the Duke of Gloucester, the windsor chuckle brothers Harry and William and all the other hangers on, are doing that day.

Coupled with their treatment of RL  I am surprised that so many users of this forum subscribe to the Times and thereby add to Rupert Murdoch's wealth and power.

Still each to his own. 

I rarely buy paper newspapers these days. I wouldn't touch the Times or Sunday Times with a bargepole any more though.

And, thanks to their paywall, I don't even bother looking at their online edition.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Perhaps they need to have a rethink and try to appeal to a wider public.

yep, then again I expect any marketing department worth its salt would be doing the necessary analysis to help the management take those sort of decisions. They can always be wrong even so...

Mind you they do cover RL now and then... maybe not enough for us but it won't stop me buying it on a Sunday.... and to add to another persons contribution even if it puts money in News International as in the dreaded Murdoch's evil empire. I shall ensure I cover that in confession next week. 

I thought Stephen Jones' article was well written and intelligent. It explains the differences in the codes very articulately.

There is more Rugby League in the Daily Mirror but it is very basic. I think the Independent focuses on league better.

I actually cancelled my subscription yesterday citing the Ackford & Jones articles. The membership team tried every trick to keep me. Offering cheaper deal, selling other journalists etc

I also submitted formal complaints about the articles.

Whether it makes any difference is irrelevant as I felt both articles stepped over a line and enough is enough

Archived