Bower Fold Stalybridge

Dennyroughyed

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SUBJECT to RFL approval, newly-promoted Oldham Rugby League Club will play home games next season at Stalybridge Celtic’s Bower Fold ground.

The news that fans have been waiting for since Roughyeds won promotion to the Kingston Press Championship in September was delivered today by club chairman Chris Hamilton, who has been burning the midnight oil for weeks in a bid to find a temporary home for the team that took League One by storm last season.

With a capacity of 5,200, Bower Fold has 1,215 seats spread down both sides, terracing for standing at both ends and is covered on all four sides.

Though outside of the Oldham Metropolitan Borough it is less than four miles from the boundary.

Said Hamilton: “We are delighted and relieved to have finally secured a home venue for next year.

“Since we clichéd promotion we’ve been under a lot of pressure to sort this out and not a day has gone by when it hasn’t been at the forefront of everything I’ve been doing.

“It’s been a tough period but, subject to RFL approval, we can now look forward to life in the Championship.

“Rob Gorski at Celtic (club chairman) has been a breath of fresh air in his willingness to help and facilitate us. We have found ourselves a willing and supportive partner.

“We are looking forward to working with Celtic as we bid to consolidate our place in the higher division.”

Roughyeds, who won both trophies that were up for grabs in League One rugby last season, had to find a new home because their Whitebank Stadium base in Limeside doesn’t meet RFL minimum standards for the sport’s second tier.

Describing Celtic’s new partnership with Oldham as “exciting”, Gorski said: “We are helping out a neighbour, but it’s a classic win-win situation.

“Roughyeds played St Helens in a cup-tie at Bower Fold in 2002 (attendance 4,089) and we were happy to look at accommodating them on a more permanent basis.

“Having won promotion after six grand final defeats it would have been truly tragic had they been unable to pursue that prize.

“We hope Oldham fans will enjoy our facility at Bower Fold. Hopefully, we will also attract new fans from Stalybridge and other parts of Tameside.

“To have Championship rugby on their doorstep and to be able to see Oldham playing Bradford, Halifax, Leigh etc will be a big attraction.

“We’ve no issue with the state of the pitch. There are no sliding tackles in rugby league and no contested scrums so we don’t see wear and tear as a problem.

“We are delighted to become partners with Oldham in this new venture.”

Fans will be disappointed that Roughyeds have had to move out of a town that is steeped in rugby league history, but there was only one stadium that met the criteria ---- SportsDirect.com Park, home of Oldham Athletic.

Added Hamilton: “We tried really hard to reach an agreement to play there, but when it came down to the nitty-gritty there were concerns about the pitch’s ability to sustain both football and rugby league, especially in the winter months, and these concerns couldn't be overcome.

“It was disappointing, but it wasn’t something we could control so we had to make alternative arrangements while wishing the football club well as they pass through a difficult period.

“There were no other suitable grounds in the borough, so we had to look a little further afield at the likes of FC United, who also had pitch problems, and also at Curzon Ashton and Ashton United, neither of whom could accommodate us.

“Geoff Roberts at Sedgley Park was, as always, keen to help as was John Roddy, chairman of Swinton, who also play there. But there were a number of clashes and we would have had to move five fixtures at least.

“The RFL were also concerned about two clubs sharing a facility in the height of winter.

“Harry Hulmes, the Mossley chairman, was also happy to help, but the ground did not meet minimum standards and time constraints were against us.

“Notwithstanding all that, Bower Fold is the best facility of the lot and we hope our fans will share in the relief of everyone at the club that the situation is finally resolved.

“Had we been unable to acquire a suitable ground there was a possibility that we would have been denied promotion. That would have been unthinkable.

“The irony is that at Bower Fold we will enjoy facilities that will be the envy of many clubs in the Championship.”

---------------------------------

Match-day prices: Standing, adults £15, concessions £12, juniors (under-16s) £3; seats, adults £17, concessions £14, juniors £5.

Season tickets (Quick Buy, available to 5pm December 23); standing, adults £180, concessions £144, juniors £20; seats, adults £200, concessions £168, juniors £30.

Qualifying games are the 11 home matches in the Championship, plus three or four in the end-of-season ‘eights’ --- 14 or 15 in total.

Adults and concessions get a minimum of two games free.

These are on sale NOW and can be bought --- cash or cheque only ---- at Whitebank Stadium between 9.30am and 1.30pm Monday to Friday or by post (with cheque) to Oldham RLFC, Whitebank Stadium, Whitebank Road, Oldham OL8 3JH. For inquiries ring 07904898177.

Everyone who buys a season ticket will go into a draw for an England shirt from the recent Baskerville series against New Zealand, signed by coach Steve McNamara and captain Sean O’Loughlin.

Season-ticket holders are also entitled to a 50% discount for the summer bash

Yes!!!! I've had a good look on Google maps/images and it looks awesome!! Befitting the teams new status for championship. Sounds like C H has had a lot of obstacles and stumbling blocks to overcome, which explains why it's taken so long for an announcement.

Reading between the lines it looks like certain people wouldn't budge no matter what to allow ORLFC to play there.

Just look a look at the ground on Dennyroughyed's link.   Have to say that looks OK.  I'd rather see that ground with people on four sides than 3 sides of Boundary Park empty.  The only downside is the location outside of the borough and I'd have still chosen BP but hey-ho.

panorama1.jpg

Maybe we should set up a liftshare scheme, come together as a bunch of fans and offer transport from Oldham to The Bridge.

Just look a look at the ground on Dennyroughyed's link.   Have to say that looks OK.  I'd rather see that ground with people on four sides than 3 sides of Boundary Park empty.  The only downside is the location outside of the borough and I'd have still chosen BP but hey-ho.

Maybe we should set up a liftshare scheme, come together as a bunch of fans and offer transport from Oldham to The Bridge.

id do a deal with stotts buses and run buses from various parts of town to bower fold

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Superb looking ground.Pity about poor transport links which will prevent some from attending.

Corney and his cronies should now be abandoned by the Council just as we were.

Would think, however, that the players will prefer this ground to BP - and they are the ones who really matter.

Maybe , also, a chance to attract a few new supporters?

Location is poor but at least we have somewhere sorted at last and can look forward to a season at the next level. It's a tidy little ground and least we won't be being ripped off by the Latics again. Good luck to the lads and all the backroom staff on a great season in 2016.

Its as good a solution as CH could reach, the ground is absolutely brilliant for RL and the prices seem reasonable, I sincerely hope for two things 1) that the accommodating Rob Gorski is NEVER put in a position where he regrets ever having any dealings with ORLFC and 2) That we SEE work done on Whitebank this season.

I`m more than OK with this development ... And this must put paid to any future at the Latics period! 

Stands with railings, Seats in a stand without support posts...better than Boundary!!! 

Looks a great Stadium for us - when you do a round trip of 65 miles from Shevington to see the Yeds a couple of more miles isn't a issue - done it for 43 years - I am sure there will be travel arrangements from town and car sharing - bring it on

I am a little dissapointed  but then did a bit of research . If I get the train from my nearest station here in Yorkshire , it would take just under an hour to get to Stalybridge , with plenty of time for a pint or two at the station bar before going to the game , ambling back to the station for another quick pint before home in just under an hour , all for just £ 21 return , it now seems more tempting for me  :D .

I am a little dissapointed  but then did a bit of research . If I get the train from my nearest station here in Yorkshire , it would take just under an hour to get to Stalybridge , with plenty of time for a pint or two at the station bar before going to the game , ambling back to the station for another quick pint before home in just under an hour , all for just £ 21 return , it now seems more tempting for me  :D .

All us Oldham emigrants living amongst the Yorkies should form a supporters club or something!  

As soon as I saw the ground location my first thought was, "Ooooh, Stalybridge, on the line between Leeds and Manchester!"  I could cycle into Leeds and jump on the train on the days I was carless. 

Surprised but pleased. The ground looks great and if nothing else it's sort of positioned on the right side of town.  The club needs to sort out the tavel arrangements for those who'll find difficulty in getting there, with an additional bit of help from supporters to make sure nobody misses out. 

I'd rather be here than BP the atmosphere will be miles better here by filling all sides.

No sure on the size of the pitch, BP is huge,  if this is a little smaller it might help in a few games as we know visiting teams are going to be bigger and faster so condensing the game is a must probably should save that for another topic. 

All in all I'll risk being ostracized and say 'well done Chris, it took a while but you've come up with the best result possible' , just next time pull your finger out and give us a clue what's happening.

On a final note. Let add this to our Chrimbo list and support the best we can with a season ticket.

All us Oldham emigrants living amongst the Yorkies should form a supporters club or something!  

As soon as I saw the ground location my first thought was, "Ooooh, Stalybridge, on the line between Leeds and Manchester!"  I could cycle into Leeds and jump on the train on the days I was carless. 

Its easier than taking the car and probably cheaper , only problem for me is I sometimes work on Sundays , but i too would be going from Leeds 

Its easier than taking the car and probably cheaper , only problem for me is I sometimes work on Sundays , but i too would be going from Leeds 

Trainline dot com are telling me just short of 16 quid return on a Sunday.  Online fuel calculator tells me a tenner in petrol return.  So the six quid difference will be like paying someone to drive me there and back so I can have a pint!  

I could get the Mrs to drive me anyway but then I'd have to buy her a pint and pay her in so it'd work out more expensive (love you really Mrs N, in case you wander in here) :)   

Trainline dot com are telling me just short of 16 quid return on a Sunday.  Online fuel calculator tells me a tenner in petrol return.  So the six quid difference will be like paying someone to drive me there and back so I can have a pint!  

I could get the Mrs to drive me anyway but then I'd have to buy her a pint and pay her in so it'd work out more expensive (love you really Mrs N, in case you wander in here) :)  

£ 16.00 ,is correct , then I would have to get another train to South milford for £5.50 , still a lot better than driving .Many moons ago when I first met the missus she was working in Stalybridge , she may want to re-visit for nostalgia purposes . ( hope not )

£ 16.00 ,is correct , then I would have to get another train to South milford for £5.50 , still a lot better than driving .Many moons ago when I first met the missus she was working in Stalybridge , she may want to re-visit for nostalgia purposes . ( hope not )

Had my first curry in Stalybridge.  Also woke up one Christmas morning in a house almost next to the Bower Fold ground.  For the sake of innocent eyes I'm not telling why but I hope that skeleton remains firmly in its cupboard.  

Just been looking at public transport links on Sundays.  We're looking at a 409 to Ashton and then one of two buses to Stalybridge.  Time is between 30-45 mins.

I think a detailed transport options thread needs to be created. Like weekend unlimted metrolink teavel cards, system 1 cards, train, bus options ect. The whole shebang. So people know they can get to this ground from whichever direction they may come from. Oldham RLFC won't do this, so it's down to fan power.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

Archived