Bower Fold Stalybridge

Dennyroughyed

And me, I wouldn't go to Whitebank unless it became a proper Rugby League ground. I'm seriously considering getting myself a season ticket. Why not? Just bought the Mrs some "Hug" boots, £160 quid, they weigh the same as a lucky bag. So £180 quid for a season ticket to watch pro Rugby League in a proper stadium is a bargain for me, unlike the well, overpriced blinkin "Hug" boots.

this is awesome! personally i hate hug boots, so would much rather come to Oldham....wear a lilac kipper tie, so i can identify you at the first match!!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If 500plus from Oldham area and say a couple hundred from surrounding districts i.e. Staylybridge,Glossop,Ashton ect . Plus away supporters from the bigger supported clubs in the championship.Gates would double.I am sure this would create a better [sorry cant spell atmosfear] than B.P 

As it happens, CH has just done an interview on Radio Manchester and he did mention that the question of transport is something that is currently being worked on.

I seem to remember GM Buses letting the Club use a Bus to ferry fans around. It was driven by Roary Mark 1. My Auntie went on it a few times. That arrangement didnt last long!

Glad you guys have got somewhere sorted, especially somewhere most of you seem happy with.  I'm looking forward to an away day in Lancashire for a change.  Did I read that the plan was for the Whitebank Stadium to be brought up to standard? Has there been any word on how long that'll take?

Ahem, don't go to Lancashire, it's in Cheshire!

Lets we have a massive push to get into a new audience around Stalybridge.A couple of school visits free kids tickets(bring along an adult) How about the first home game against London with the car load of away spectators allow in Stalybridge Celtic season ticket holders in for free. A fresh start to try and attract a new audience

Re getting to the ground on public transport its actually not much harder for most away fans 

than the home supporters.The main line station followed by a short bus or taxi ride up the hill.If you want to walk off those pints of real ale its about 20 odd mins up the mottram road.

Bus wise,getting to Ashton bus station is the trick.Mumps to SB Celtic can be done in 47 mins  with 2 changes and the return similar.The 408 to SB bus station and a bus up the hill is a goer as well. Hopefully a day ticket can work for this lot. When it gets to a 3 bus trip however you could see one or two thinking twice.Laying on a bus could be important here.

But the million dollar question is how many will bother? It's not the hardcore that will find it a problem to get there.

It could be thre are more away fans than home fans because it is easier to get there than from Oldham.

I hope common sense prevails and some sort of shuttle service is provided.

Let's be honest, a cChairman with good connections, clout and good community spirit could somehow raise the sponsorship to fund it for some time to come.

Mmmm but Oldham dont have a Chairman , Chief Exec, Dogsbody that anywhere near fits that description do they ??? Unless someone has turned over a new leaf, and judging on the time this announcment has taken the answer is He hasnt

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Re getting to the ground on public transport its actually not much harder for most away fans 

than the home supporters.The main line station followed by a short bus or taxi ride up the hill.If you want to walk off those pints of real ale its about 20 odd mins up the mottram road.

Bus wise,getting to Ashton bus station is the trick.Mumps to SB Celtic can be done in 47 mins  with 2 changes and the return similar.The 408 to SB bus station and a bus up the hill is a goer as well. Hopefully a day ticket can work for this lot. When it gets to a 3 bus trip however you could see one or two thinking twice.Laying on a bus could be important here.

Love your optimism Andy  ( 47 mins ), when was the last time you used public transport :fie: , never mind on a Sunday, again getting a connection on a Sunday would be impossible , and even on a Saturday or a weekday ur talkin a 10 to 15 min wait for your next bus , it would be 30 mins min wait on a Sunday ...... and an Evening kick off or even 5.30pm return on a Sunday ......... well :shout: . . . As everyone has said if you have your own car there aint much difference at all .....and a posotive thought , all the stay aways with their own car afraid to go over last 5 years to Limeside ( will their car still be there or in one piece when they come out of the match  :(  ) might feel more inclind to go to Stalybridge :) . . .

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Love your optimism Andy  ( 47 mins ), when was the last time you used public transport :fie: , never mind on a Sunday, again getting a connection on a Sunday would be impossible , and even on a Saturday or a weekday ur talkin a 10 to 15 min wait for your next bus , it would be 30 mins min wait on a Sunday ...... and an Evening kick off or even 5.30pm return on a Sunday ......... well :shout: . . . As everyone has said if you have your own car there aint much difference at all .....and a posotive thought , all the stay aways with their own car afraid to go over last 5 years to Limeside ( will their car still be there or in one piece when they come out of the match  :(  ) might feel more inclind to go to Stalybridge :) . . .

Me and Roughyedz have had a few crossed words over the years on here but I agree how difficult it must be to get to Stalybridge. I'm really excited and as a car owner (which will be full) it doesn't make a huge difference to me but i especially feel for our older fans, is there anything we can do to help? Some of these folk have been faithful supporters through thick and thin. I'm excited about the season in front of us but it would be sad if some of our most faithful supporters are unable to attend. The ground looks great and will be far better than Latics as a base but logistically it isn't helpful for some. 

I was thinking about this today.  The number of people who may struggle can't be huge.  If we had to arrange transport for all the hard core 425, logistically that's not horrendous and it's going to be nowhere near that figure.  I travel down into Oldham from M62 Junction 22.  My route to the ground will take me Denshaw -> Delph -> Uppermill -> Edge of Greenfield -> Bottom Mossley -> Stalybridge.  Generally speaking I have at least two spare car spaces, often three.  I'd happily pick people up along the way, maybe deviate my route to travel via Watersheddings, Waterhead and Lees.

All we need to do is identify those in need and match them on a weekly basis to those able to offer assistance.

Today since you ask.What I did was to look it up on GMPTE journey planner.This is what i do when using  public transport .Its usually on the money and I have no reason to doubt it. .It says Arrive at SB celtic from mumps on a sunday is 47 mins . Fact. 3 buses ,184,409 and 237  Return Journey is similar.Not saying its perfect and I do believe the club should do something re putting a bus on as well.

Here is what I base my optimism on.

http://www.traveline-northwest.co.uk/journeyplanner/showJourneyDetailsPage.do?rid=1449793089475&hss=srgmu423950300

Ahem, don't go to Lancashire, it's in Cheshire!

Well close enough, just not having to go to the wrong side of the Pennines will be a refreshing change.

Thanks pal, you will be made welcome. Yeah apparently the plan is to develop Whitebank, but we have heard this for the last five years, nothing has been released about the Whitebank so no idea on stands,terraces or timescales. It will take some time and plenty of cash to get it anywhere near standard though.

Well hope whatever the plan is it works out for you guys & you don't have to go nomadic again. Best of luck with the season.  See you all at the LSV in February.

For those considering using the Metrolink to travel to Bower Fold from the Oldham West area, Chadderton, Failsworth, Hollinwood ect.

There are direct Metrolink trams to Ashton on the Rochdale via Oldham line. I think they're every 15 minutes on Sundays.

You can purchase system1 travel cards from the bus driver, Metrolink stop or train stations. If you decide to purchase a system 1 travel card their are many combinations you could choose. Bus, train and tram, family travel, student ect.

If you decide to travel using the system 1? You can change from Tram to Train at Victoria, Piccadilly and Ashton for connecting train to Stalybridge. Or bus from Ashton to Bower Fold.

Using the system 1travel pass for those living on the West side of Oldham gives them a fast, reliable, frequent route to Stalybridge.

I've added a link for those Roughyeds supporters who may consider this route. I know it's not suitable for everybody. But Oldham need to attract supporters from other parts of the borough of Oldham and surrounding areas. Bower Fold is an opportunity for Roughyeds to increase their supporter base. So every transport option nèeds promoting.

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/tickets/Pages/Travelcards.aspx

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

Followed Oldham in 'sheddings days from about 1987 (I'm sure many of you will have happy memories of Cogger, Charlie, Fordy and co and not forgetting Friday nights watching the "A" team at Watersheddings - happy days indeed). And don't get me started on that Premiership final against Hull KR...

Continued (unhappily, grudgingly) at BP or "soulless concrete box" as I call it.

After the Bears tragic eviction from both Super League and BP, stopped coming (personal reasons).

Couldn't face Sedgeley or Whitebank, don't ask me why, just couldn't.

Have also watched Stalybridge Celtic since I was a small boy as I live in the town. The declining disciplinary standards in football in particular have led me to fall out of love with the game a couple of seasons ago and I've not attended for some time. (Arguing with refs, overdoing the rolling on the floor in "agony", diving for penalties, it's all crept into the non-league game).

There must be a few on here that remember when the "A" team decamped to Bower Fold for a season, there were some cracking games and well attended (around about the time Paul Deacon was just starting out).

Anyway, long story short, this week's news has put a real smile on my face, you can count on at least one new regular from the Tameside area!

My Satnav says it's 20 minutes drive from Whitebank to Bower Fold.  Best option - the club or a keen supporter to lay on buses from Whitebank?

How much would they charge the supporters on the bus? Add to that the time+cost of getting to and from Whitebank. It would probably be better for a supporters bus to leave from 0ldham town centre.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

are you saying it was your aunties fault?

She was blamed for shutting the old social club by going elsewhere and taking a few people with her. The club wasnt open after full time so they took their custom to a pub in Hollinwood and were made very welcome.

Here's a bit of trivia for you.  

Stalybridge Celtic are in the same soccer league as Bradford Park Avenue.  The original Bradford FC, a Northern Union club, split in 1907.  A number of its members wanted to emulate Manningham, who became Bradford City, and convert from playing rugby to association football.  After the split Bradford Northern (think Northern Union) was born and the remainder of the Bradford FC club formed Bradford Park Avenue to play soccer.

So next season, both halves of the former Bradford FC club will be playing at Bower Fold, one playing soccer, one playing rugby league. :)

Good work Dave but seriously, you really do need to get out more

Archived