Would Farrell or Edwards make the grade

I was championing Fordy as a potential Cas coach even before Matterson signed up all those years ago.

I feel that we would have moved further quicker if we had signed Fordy instead.

However I wouldn't swap DP for anyone at the moment, just hope that he keeps improving us and that we keep backing him.

Both Farrell and Edwards have proved to be effective coaches in a sport they didn't play (in Edwards case since he was a schoolboy at least).

People saying that they couldn't coach in RL because the game has moved on are kidding themselves. They lived and breathed the sport for their whole career, they would get up to speed and be effective coaches.

Dave T's point is well made. We have a pretty fair number of ex players in coaching positions and I would prefer we keep the next generation in our game (Sinfield, Peacock etc) than bring Edwards and Farrell back.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Then there's Mike ford. I'm sure he's on record as saying he wants to learn as much as he can with union and then return to league. Of course the longer he's in union the more difficult it will be to return. And then there's the money. Are these coaches earning more than league could ever pay?

I think he's best staying where he is!

Coaching at the top level is as much about man management and motivation, assuming the players have a reasonable skill set to start with, which makes me feel Edwards could and would make a successful return, but I'm not so sure about Andy Farrell.

Lennagan when at Quins tried to sign them as the coaching team post Tony Rea prior to Mac being appointed.

Indeed he did. It could have opened the floodgates of Northern players willing to come south with 2 names like that at the helm and that's no disrespect to Big Mac who gave 111% when he was with us and always spoke with passion about the potential in the capital.

To answer the OP. I don't think we'll ever know in regards to Farrell, but Edwards may well return to League in some capacity in the future.

Then there's Mike ford. I'm sure he's on record as saying he wants to learn as much as he can with union and then return to league. Of course the longer he's in union the more difficult it will be to return. And then there's the money. Are these coaches earning more than league could ever pay?

The way his team is going at the moment, he may be in need of a job soon. He wouldn't get a gig as a head coach in RL as he hasn't proved himself as a coach in our sport.

The bigger question for me is do we need them back? I don't think we do to be honest.

I would say that as multiple quality players competing for the same squad/team place increases standards so would having access to more quality coaches.

It couldn't be a bad thing.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

What Farrell or Edwards could bring is the experience of the intense big game pressure of Union internationals. That is:  preparing the best players of the current  crop for the biggest games of their lives, not developing players week on week,  year on year for a club.

Thing is though, the whole England RU management - including Farrell - failed  abysmally at this in the RUWC.

Edwards on the other hand has been part of a team that has outperformed expectations  for years.

If we want someone  to turn this very talented crop of England league players into a team that can beat the Aussies in a series or World Cup, maybe Edwards could be our man.

I appreciate that they have both been away from league for some years, but presumably most top clubs employ more than one coach so if Edwards for example got a head coach role he would have a team of minions supporting him and he would bring a huge amount of playing experience himself as well as maybe some fresh ideas from RU (If that's not too controversial to suggest).

I appreciate that they have both been away from league for some years, but presumably most top clubs employ more than one coach so if Edwards for example got a head coach role he would have a team of minions supporting him and he would bring a huge amount of playing experience himself as well as maybe some fresh ideas from RU (If that's not too controversial to suggest).

I certainly hope it isn't controversial.  Rugby League (as with any sport) should be able to learn lessons in performance from other sports... especially if it helps the national team!

Ford, Farrell and Edwards are league players true and true, off course they are earning more in the other code. If that wasn't the case what would have been the point in leaving in the first place.

There is no guarantee that Mike Ford is getting paid more than he could earn at top RL clubs. Of course we do not know the salaries, and we know there is more money in RU, but that doesn't mean this goes to the managers. I'd be surprised if some of the RL managers are on low wages.

Sometimes there are just opportunities that come up, and RU does appear to have a larger range of coaches, and therefore opportunities, plus RU has been particularly willing to sign ex-RL figures into prominent roles.

Plus, we all only watch the games on Sky, and we all know everything there is to know about the game, so why wouldn't Edwards?  :ph34r:

They made their career choice.

They don't have any experience as modern Rugby League Coaches.

Why care about them?

I would imagine because it's an interesting discussion... you know, on a Rugby League discussion site.

I think Andrew Farrell is looking to represent Jamaica Skiing at the Olympics in 2018 and I'm not sure Morvin Edwards has shown any interest in coaching since he returned down under, had a stint with the Tigers and retired in the late 90s.

I would imagine because it's an interesting discussion... you know, on a Rugby League discussion site.

Is it?

Two League players move to a competing code and fans of the code they left wonder could they make it if they came back with zero knowledge of Coaching the game they once played a long long time ago.

Surprised the thread has not been moved to the cross code section.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Is it?

Two League players move to a competing code and fans of the code they left wonder could they make it if they came back with zero knowledge of Coaching the game they once played a long long time ago.

Surprised the thread has not been moved to the cross code section.

There is a thread on the cross code forum on this (I started it). I guess it has been allowed to stay here because we are discussing two very successful and highly rated RL players who are currently successful coaches... just not in our sport.

As for being interesting, I guess that's a personal opinion, certainly those discussing it clearly find it interesting enough.

I have just never understood the 'who cares' contribution to a thread. If you are interested then join in, if you are not then do something else.

There is a thread on the cross code forum on this (I started it). I guess it has been allowed to stay here because we are discussing two very successful and highly rated RL players who are currently successful coaches... just not in our sport.

As for being interesting, I guess that's a personal opinion, certainly those discussing it clearly find it interesting enough.

I have just never understood the 'who cares' contribution to a thread. If you are interested then join in, if you are not then do something else.

Two Ex League players that have moved on a long time ago.

I posted in this thread because I do not understand the mentality of our games fans that seem to doff their cap to the other code like a disliked big brother.

Will they come back............

Will they say nice things about our game....

Do they remember where they come from.....

Sam Burgess recently is an example, our games fans spent more time on will Sam come home, will he find it boring.... on an on and on.......

You wonder why we have a small man inferiority complex in our game.

If players or Coaches want to move on to other codes let them go and ###### off, who cares what they do once they are gone.

I could not give a Rats ass whether  Burgess came home.

He came home because it did not work out in the Union game for many reasons.

If he had been given a go and starred in the Union World Cup do you think he would have come back the the safety net that was the NRL?

We look like beggars at the table too often.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Well we are definitely moving into cross code territory now. I will happily continue this discussion with you over there on the Andy Farrell thread if you like but this will be locked if we carry on here.

Archived