BBC Promotion Vid

This is the video the BBC put together for the recent RL pParlimentary meeting, to show what a wonderful job they do for the sport.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

This is the video the BBC put together for the recent RL pParlimentary meeting, to show what a wonderful job they do for the sport.

.....it's pretty hard to disagree with anything said there. Yes, Soccer will always be king, but I can't think of another domestic team sport that gets that level of multi-media coverage, with live games on the BBC TV, BBC Radio, social media coverage, dedicated teams producing this content.

It is a cute little video and makes its argument well. I certainly think the BBC's coverage of RL is as good now as it has ever been, in terms of the quality of the TV team and the production. I love the Five Live Sports Extra commentaries, and the local radio offerings have always been a superb service. If I do have gripes with the RL coverage, these might be the timing of the SL Show, but this is minor in an iPlayer world.

The trouble with the BBC, and what I think lets the RL team down badly, is the sneering attitude of the Inverdales, the Rob Bonnets, and the Eleanor Oldroyds. When the BBC is doing RL, it does it extremely well. In the other times, when it is talking more generally, it is either ignoring RL or belittling it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

So the SLS. One of the worst sports programmes currently shown with its dour, lifeless presentation and unique afternoon national slot when no one is watching.

Challenge cup coverage. Ok,  but investment in build up and cross programme tie ins, a vital element for promotion are not taken up. 

BBC web page, one that had its interactive feature removed and is still advertising RU in on it.

BBC news, notorious for not acknowledging their own RL productions in the sports headlines.

The video is a marketing ploy not an investigative report.

So the SLS. One of the worst sports programmes currently shown with its dour, lifeless presentation and unique afternoon national slot when no one is watching.

Challenge cup coverage. Ok,  but investment in build up and cross programme tie ins, a vital element for promotion are not taken up. 

BBC web page, one that had its interactive feature removed and is still advertising RU in on it.

BBC news, notorious for not acknowledging their own RL productions in the sports headlines.

The video is a marketing ploy not an investigative report.

No...not chippy at all!

It's not what the BBC does that is the issue. Its what the BBC does NOT - that is the real issue

i agree. As JB points out, the coverage is probably the best it has ever been, but everything else still feels like lip service rather than being a real supportive partner of the game.

It will be interesting to see what coverage this great game gets on BBC Breakfast, especially on the mornings when Rugby League is actually on the BBC. Last year we had a riveting 5 minute pitch on the Western Riding World Championships to be held in 2016, when the England v New Zealand Test match at The Olympic Stadium to be shown live on BBC later in the day was totally ignored.

Archived