2 Apr: SL: Catalans Dragons v Widnes Vikings KO 6pm (TV)

Who will win?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Draw
    • Widnes Vikings

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree.

I also think it's wrong when he changed an on field decision without being asked to look at it. It wouldn't have been so bad if he hadn't called it wrong!! Video ref at all games or none. It's also a huge advantage to Catalan who have every home game televised.

Paula, I haven't seen the decision but some one-eyed Widnes fans on Facebook are conceding that, if Thompson jumps from outside the field of play (ie with a foot on the line) then perhaps he is still out if play when off the ground. Of course none of us are sure of the rules so we don't really know! The other question still remains - does a VR have the authority to initiate a review when the red has not asked for one? Again, I don't know.

Here's the rule - couldn't be clearer  ;)

The ball is in touch if a player jumps from touch and while off the ground touches the ball. The ball is not in touch if during flight it crosses the touch line but is knocked back by a player who is off the ground after jumping from the field of play.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/rules/official_laws/9_touch_and_touch_ingoal

Here's the rule - couldn't be clearer ;)

The ball is in touch if a player jumps from touch and while off the ground touches the ball. The ball is not in touch if during flight it crosses the touch line but is knocked back by a player who is off the ground after jumping from the field of play.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/rules/official_laws/9_touch_and_touch_ingoal

Fair enough.

But does he have the authority to overrule a decision without being asked to...?

I have long had the opinion that if we're going to use video refs then they should rule on try's and only that. More and more they are being asked to check on scrums and restarts - again, it's just giving an unfair advantage to the teams who feature on sky most often.

Gigot's no try was the correct call, as was the Myler's no try.

Hewer had a good game too. 

Nice to see Escaré taking so much runs, he seems to get 10m at each dummy half run because of his speed. I wish we could have witnessed the speed of Widnes but easter time + wet pitch + injuries, it was impossible. Now they think we're the best team in the comp because we won 4 in a row. 

I think Alibert is trying his best, the abuse he's copping with is humongous. 

I agree with Barnyia, Mason is totally cheating the team but hey, most of the fans are happy with him "because he's big and scary lol bro". Bousquet had 31 tackles, none missed and 85meters when Mason had 19 tackles, 1 missed and 35meters. 

Guess who's getting the big bucks?

I mentioned this before but there's an argument from a player welfare point of view for a second French SL club. Right now French players have to choose between peanuts at Catalans or uprooting their families to the north of England. It gives the Catalan management ridiculous levels of power over the players which they abuse.

Fair enough.

But does he have the authority to overrule a decision without being asked to...?

I have long had the opinion that if we're going to use video refs then they should rule on try's and only that. More and more they are being asked to check on scrums and restarts - again, it's just giving an unfair advantage to the teams who feature on sky most often.

I still don't get why it's an advantage. A VR decision is just as likely to go against you as for you and on the day both teams have it.

what about taylors grapple tackle on joe mellor ? surely dragging a player back by his neck and causing un-natural flexion of a joint (spine) in the process is a disciplinary offence ?????

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

what about taylors grapple tackle on joe mellor ? surely dragging a player back by his neck and causing un-natural flexion of a joint (spine) in the process is a disciplinary offence ?????

Found not guilty by disciplinary. 

I mentioned this before but there's an argument from a player welfare point of view for a second French SL club. Right now French players have to choose between peanuts at Catalans or uprooting their families to the north of England. It gives the Catalan management ridiculous levels of power over the players which they abuse.

If M. Guasch doesn't watch out, he might see some of his underpaid players move not  only to England, but perhaps also to the NRL. Eloi Pelissier, Jordan Sigismeau, Fouad Yaha and Lucas Albert are the ones that foreign scouts may pursue seriously in the future -- Pelissier especially because he gets so much TV appearance time in England and Australia..

If M. Guasch doesn't watch out, he might see some of his underpaid players move not  only to England, but perhaps also to the NRL. Eloi Pelissier, Jordan Sigismeau, Fouad Yaha and Lucas Albert are the ones that foreign scouts may pursue seriously in the future -- Pelissier especially because he gets so much TV appearance time in England and Australia..

He was fuming when Springer moved to Castleford. 

Turned out to be the right choice, he would have never been close to a game this year at Catalans. 

Sigismeau's weakness are his hands... not very good at catching and prone to loose carries, he could be a game changer if he corrects that. Pelissier desserves to be in the NRL. He has been an absolute freak for years now, his workrate is out of this world and he proved himself to be worthy of recognition. 

Each time he enters the field, our attack gets magnified, he sets everything on fire (including himself, the guy is crazy!). Also, he's one of the kindest guy you could find, always open to discussion with fans and always smiling. 

It would be awesome to have a French-fed hooker in the NRL. 

Found not guilty by disciplinary. 

disgraceful he could have caused serious injury to ellor

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Archived