away trip to Toronto anyone?

OutsiderLookingIn

We will see when they form a squad. Yes they are in,doesn't mean everyone has to like it though.Anyway I'm just tuning into the local derby between the Timbuktu Tittilators and the Rio de Janeiro Mardi Gras on the pie in the sky channel brought to you by the newly formed World Rugby League League.

A Canadian League has already been formed. I believe the plan is to fly out on a Thursday evening, train and acclimatise on a Friday, play before a 10,000 crowd on a Saturday evening live on Canadian TV, and return on a Sunday, all expenses paid by the Canadians. Is there a part-time RL player in the world who couldn't or wouldn't manage 1 day off work a year to "put up" with that? They're also looking to work with a travel partner in Canada to lay on cheap travel for English supporters. How it pans out remains to be seen, but Canada RL believe the public over there are desperate for international competition & the game will suit the Canadian psyche.

steve wild I agree with you some people think they don't know about rugby league they have teams playing competitive games in ontorio and quebec they also have quite a few players playing in the Australian 2nd grade and country teams so they are used to playing. to a pretty high standard.  but I do agree that there good be a problem with div,1all they get from skys 5 year deal is £1.822.000 this will be split between 15 clubs

In reply to Steve Wild's question :

"Is there a part-time RL player in the world who couldn't or wouldn't manage 1 day off work a year to "put up" with that?"

I am certain that there will be quite a few players who couldn't manage it. When I was working I had fixed holidays and couldn't take time off when I wanted even if known in advance. Remember that their jobs are their main source of income and I wouldn't want to lose my job for one rugby match.

Funny how these stupid ideas take off isnt it , remember 120 years or so ago when Rah Rah had a beef with the Northern Clubs about actually paying players and TAX as well instead of under the counter stuff, If you look at Rah Rah now I seem to remember that they started a couple of Italian teams ( using former UK and Aussie players ) now look at the Italian Rah Rah team, giving the other 5 nation teams a good game, and even a beating on the odd ocasion, and in front of 20.000 to 30,000 spectators as well, but GOD Forbid the Rugby Football League should try to start a club in Toronto, never mind outside the M62 corridor, a lot of the above posters ( not all ) should be watching whippet racing at weekend in a cloth cap. . . In fact if you had been born 200 years ago you would be Luddites and if you had succeeded the UK would be have a similar lifestyle as the  North Korea's do.

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Did the original Italian rugby teams play home and away fixtures against English RU teams?

Yes we should help Canada develop Rugby League but this is not the way. Flight time to Toronto is approx 8 hours. Championship 1 players are part time with jobs. After a day's work  I certainly wouldn't like having a journey of probably over 11 hours when you factor in getting to the airport, getting checked in, through security, collecting luggage in Toronto and then getting to the hotel. If they fly out Thursday evening and arrive Friday morning I think one day to get over the travelling and prepare for a match on Saturday is not enough.

My view is that the money would be better spent developing the game in Canada and setting up a league there. Maybe playing some matches against our full time professional teams who can fly over there earlier in the week and acclimatise better.

This Canadian TV report is good better ground than most if not all in League 1 and Championship and they have more coverage on Candadian TV than Oldham have had in the last 17 years on BBC .....lol love Earl Crabtree on the tv video

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sports/toronto-wolfpack-to-join-third-tier-of-english-rugby-league-1.2877292#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=Cr7C7ZJ

see whole thread elswhere on here

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=282389

Have any players said they won't be able to go?  

Rugby players + away trip + hotel stay + outside of postcode = players doing everything to join the trip

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I wonder if anyone has told them how shabby things really have been allowed to "carry on" in Championship one...mind you this ill conceived folly is crying out for a Canadian team to have the Whitebank experience.. then Sedgeley Park perhaps! Welcome to the big time!

Im against it in respect that i think these guys should be spending their money on developing the game in north america like establishing somekind of comp betweem the canadian & american usarl league...and then sending the national team,'A' team and potentially under 20s on tours to europe or australia to enhance their development....

But...if they are paying for us to go over and its costing us nowt...then....well....so be it

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

A big incentive for you to stay up! A big incentive for the team I support to get out of Championship 1.

This is a harebrained scheme. The players in Championship 1 are part time. Are they expected to fly out after work on Friday, play a match and fly back to get to work on Monday. If they go early and come back later they will lose wages (or will the Canadians subsidise this). Some employers may not release players from work so a weakened team may be sent out. What happens if a player is injured over there and not able to fly home with the rest of the team?

No  doubt they will be full time with no salary cap so not a level playing field.

Even Rugby Union and soccer could not come up with such a scheme.

Wrong .......... Rah Rah have beaten the RL to this as you will see in the Southern Union Super League who have had a team playing out of Tokyo this season called Sunwolves ( also to play in Singapore ) ....... obviously they had nobody complaining there then, like oh they have more money than us , they are bigger than us, its too far for us , etc etc etc   :ohmy:

Archived