Catalans Big Day

Yes there's him and Elima who scored19 tries in 2009 - the best by any forward.

In the early days forwards were plentiful.  

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only one overseas player in this lot. Was it John Kear who talked about the French donkeys at the Dragons in their formative years. Not so to-day with Gigot, Escare and now Albert on the scene. Fakir was the French pin-up leading into SL but those two knee operations hit him hard.Elima was at his best I think in 2009 as a second-rower.

datPhoto1_574c4c47c5999__zpsoshzxe7p.jpg

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

Only one overseas player in this lot. Was it John Kear who talked about the French donkeys at the Dragons in their formative years. Not so to-day with Gigot, Escare and now Albert on the scene. Fakir was the French pin-up leading into SL but those two knee operations hit him hard.Elima was at his best I think in 2009 as a second-rower.

datPhoto1_574c4c47c5999__zpsoshzxe7p.jpg

Ferriol was a genuine big biffa who definitely worried other SL clubs with his aggression and carries. He would be my pick.

Scubby - yes, I can still see that double chip try in my mind's eye....quite brilliant!

Hvy wg - I agree...Ferriol and Casty

McGuire was part of that great quartet who arrived in their second year - Greenshields,Mogg and Croker. He was a GF winner with the Broncos and played Origin - 99 games and 27 tries. Of the overseas players only Greenshields has played more games than Hendo; heart of a lion, hugely popular and mentor for Pelisser these past years.

datPhoto1_575122cedabbc__zpsvovyqcfj.jpg

McGuire was part of that great quartet who arrived in their second year - Greenshields,Mogg and Croker. He was a GF winner with the Broncos and played Origin - 99 games and 27 tries. Of the overseas players only Greenshields has played more games than Hendo; heart of a lion, hugely popular and mentor for Pelisser these past years.

datPhoto1_575122cedabbc__zpsvovyqcfj.jpg

The 3 of them are already legends. 

I'd go with Pelissier but I think Hendo will take it.

Bernard Guasch met I understand the leaders of both the town and departmental authorities recently regarding the celebrations around Wigan's visit. From the Thursday leading into the game there will be activities organised for supporters around the Castillet in the heart of Perpignan. A relay team of 1,000 will take the match day ball from the resting place of Jean Galia at Ille-sur-Tet the 40 klms to Brutus. The gala evening event post-match will be held at the Parc des Exhibition - just opposite the Castillet. It is hoped that lots of the 100 or so who have worn the sang-et-or since 2006 will attend with already numerous overseas players expected. Music and eats ranging from €10 to €80 VIP. Should be some weekend!

On another hand, city subventions have been voted. 

The Union side is finally behind us, big time. They'll have 350k next year compared to the almost equal 500k this year. 

Plus, they fired almost all of their Catalans players and their fans are fuming so... they probably wont get much more than 8 000 fans next year. Which means we're going to go up, again.

On another hand, city subventions have been voted. 

The Union side is finally behind us, big time. They'll have 350k next year compared to the almost equal 500k this year. 

Plus, they fired almost all of their Catalans players and their fans are fuming so... they probably wont get much more than 8 000 fans next year. Which means we're going to go up, again.

Rugby League taking over the city of Perpignan!  :buba: (This fellow looks kind of Catalan right...)

Rugby League taking over the city of Perpignan!  :buba: (This fellow looks kind of Catalan right...)

7 years ago the union side was champion of the Top 14, we were last in SL. 

How the tables have turned, love it. They're currently going batshit insane in the union forum because of it. 

Mustache and a Béret, 100% French guy!

Suppose they could have taken this to the bigger Aime Giral Stadium. That is where the first fixture was IIRC?

It was, while their own was being enlarged. Both are owned by the council so they could do that.

But why pay for the hire of a union ground and give bar and food takings to a club that loathes them?

It was, while their own was being enlarged. Both are owned by the council so they could do that.

But why pay for the hire of a union ground and give bar and food takings to a club that loathes them?

Is this a trick question, where the answer is "if it's Coventry"? :)

Nearly there now. What a choice in the second-row though! 3 former Kangaroos and 3 players Dream Team nominees. Sort that one out.

datPhoto1_5757b5958c543__zpst1kyuqho.jpg

Most difficult choice of the lot this one!  Probably after a lot of thought....

Croker and Menzies

or Taia and Whitehead (who were head and shoulders the best second row partnership in SL in their last year)

or  Dane Carlaw who worked his bum off in a fairly average team  and Louis Anderson who is Mister Consistent over many years.

And Seb Raguin for being a thoroughly decent chap who has managed to move from being as roly poly as me to being a SL player with over 100 games.

Who are you going for Audois?

I'm routing for Menzies - Whitehead.

All of them are great players BUT... Menzies is a legend and brough us a lot of exposure while Whitehead was an unproven English player that blossomed in Perpignan. Taia, Anderson and Croker had a NRL story before coming to us, they were already proven players. Whitehead was like, hey I'm a young player at Bradford, I have potential, I'd like to test myself. BOOM! Beast of a player. 

But you can expect Menzies and Taia to be picked, from what I saw in the french forum.

Most difficult choice of the lot this one!  Probably after a lot of thought....

Croker and Menzies

or Taia and Whitehead (who were head and shoulders the best second row partnership in SL in their last year)

or  Dane Carlaw who worked his bum off in a fairly average team  and Louis Anderson who is Mister Consistent over many years.

And Seb Raguin for being a thoroughly decent chap who has managed to move from being as roly poly as me to being a SL player with over 100 games.

Who are you going for Audois?

Menzies and Taia

Definitely Menzies, and then I am torn between Taia, Whitehead and Anderson.  One thing in favour of Louis Anderson could be how well he seems to have integrated into local life and culture; whether that is a relevant factor in this particular context, I am not sure!

Archived