FRENCH FINALS

Monday night floodlit footy at St Gaudens on a lovely late autumn evening below the snow capped Pyreens stood out. 

Driving past St Gaudens in July on route to a short expedition in the Aiguestortes National Park over the border in Spain; will see if I can get the drivers to stop for a break in the town so I can have a nosey! 

Driving past St Gaudens in July on route to a short expedition in the Aiguestortes National Park over the border in Spain; will see if I can get the drivers to stop for a break in the town so I can have a nosey! 

The floodlit game I attended was down below the town in an athletics stadium because their main ground didn't have lights. Visited the latter to watch les Ours in a Challenge Cup tie against Halifax more than a decade back. I think the famous Gilles Dumas who is the clubs president has a Tabac in town. Dumas an associate of Zalduendo maybe and why St Gaudens being linked to a place in Elite 1 next season.

After their famous win yesterday La Reole (pop 6000 located not far from Bordeaux) are making noises of making a bid too. I was quite impressed at the standard of yesterdays Elite 2 final. The winners have I understand a couple of young overseas lads but get the impression they're more like antipodean back-packers who work in the vineyards. I was thinking after whether the French should look at having a premier division a bit like our League 1 with its 15 clubs with a similar format.

This year there was nothing between La Reole, Lescure, Villefranche and St Gaudens in the semis - throw in Lyon and Montpellier to widen the profile. Those 6 clubs would be a bit like the southern English development set-up. It would just make a pleasant change to see the league table printed in the papers with more than nine names as present. Would it work?

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Around 4000 announced at the stadium, limoux and carcasonne is a 2 hour drive to albi,

They organized a kids tournament and a touch tournament to boost numbers,

It was a great game, they went try for try near enough, felt sorry for Tyrone pau losing his last game, but happy for limoux and seeing what it meant to the players, staff and the supporters,

There's a great photo on the front of the local paper of the limoux players on the field with the shield and all the rugby school in the same kit, apparently limoux was packed last night celebrating winning the championship for the first time in 48 years,

The game was supposed to be on France 3 south but they only put a live stream through the regional website!

Also albi is a beautiful city and well worth a visit!

Plenty of fall-out from Elite 1 final. Alex Couttet passed the batten on at ASC after losses in the last two finals.

Club say they're turning a page and looking at concentrating 90% on young up-and-coming French lads. Veterans Sadaoui and Greseque considering their positions. Only one overseas player the Australian prop Percy likely to be retained. Vinnie Anderson has been closely involved with coaching. Will he be in contention for the Canaris vacancy? Last Saturday at Albi they had I think seven antipodeans on the team sheet. I dont think its a policy taking them and the wider local game anywhere. 

While at Lezignan coach Cologni seems staying on but skipper and a raft of others moving-on which may include Jamal Fakir.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

Between Patrick Alberola and Patrick limongi I've heard, they could probably do it together, same style and knowledge,

Both will go round again then!

Alberola won the cup with them

Limongi there in Alex Smits time.

The elite 1 shield (planchot) is doing the rounds of limoux, rugby school , primary schools, secondary schools, the big supermarket in the village, the mayors office and all the bars in the village center, they love a party in limoux and this one could last as long as no as the carnival!

Archived