McDermott slams Wane over cannonball tackles

the paranoia was around your herd comments.

Gaming doesnt have to be illegal or wrong at all. Wane likes his moral victories, my view is with some of those appeals there was no moral victory at all.

Your coach going along arguing that illegal tackles are perfect and that players only touch refs because the decisions went against them means it is little wonder Wigan have one of the worst disciplinary records in the league.

I see. That makes sense. Though we do but have the worst record and have not been the dirtiest team in the league by any measure in Wane's time in charge.

Tbh, Wane makes being a Wigan fan far harder work than it ought to be.

I think he is driving the club off a cliff, but suspect we'll have a new driver soon enough.

The club needs an NRL coach, proper NRL recruitment, get in the market for other club's talent and reduce the club's obsession with home grown talent. They need a coach who thinks before he speaks and who can coach a team to attack.

That said, I do not believe that the disciplinary system is corrupt, that we have been abusing the system for 30 years or that we are an immoral club. And I don't mind continuing to argue those points ad nauseum.

I see. That makes sense. Though we do but have the worst record and have not been the dirtiest team in the league by any measure in Wane's time in charge.

I think he is driving the club off a cliff, but suspect we'll have a new driver soon enough.

The club needs an NRL coach, proper NRL recruitment, get in the market for other club's talent and reduce the club's obsession with home grown talent. They need a coach who thinks before he speaks and who can coach a team to attack.

That said, I do not believe that the disciplinary system is corrupt, that we have been abusing the system for 30 years or that we are an immoral club. And I don't mind continuing to argue those points ad nauseum.

i dont think the disciplinary is corrupt but i dont think it is working too well at the moment. Maybe time to review. I think the taking advantage thing is over the short term where a weakness has been identified. See recent diaciplinary threads for my views on their performance recently.

I can't understand why McDermott has an issue with Wane defending his own players. Surely that is what all coaches do, even more so after someone has come out and publicly criticised them. Every coach wants as many fit players as possible available every match, if a coach can make a good case at a disciplinary hearing and get that then that is in the best interest for them and there team.

Even to the detriment of injuring fellow professionals?

one other point, while i am not a massive fan of Wane, i think he could do a good job for England. That nasty selfish streak that Kangaroos managers have is certainly present!!!

Wane has, what is basically a young, home grown squad with a few imports. To get the success they have had, IMO is tremendous and they are in the hunt for trophies. This talk of getting rid of him completely bemuses me.

He seems to Coach an aggressive game. RL is based on physical domination of the opposition, but, from what I've seen this season, they seem to get the balance mixed up now and again like the Saints game. It's a shame he can't just temper his responses.

The RFL Disc Report comment regarding a 'perfect' tackle nigh on brings the game into disrepute. From Cuthbertsons reaction, he knew exactly what happened. Its not good tackling technique and needs wiping out of the game.

Mcdermot is clearly blaming Wane at the same time as denying he's is blaming him. Yes, these things are serious, people are entitled to express their opinions but he is deliberately stirring this up for effect, and his disciples are lapping it up.

Well he was asked by journalist what he thought about Wane's comments.    

He answered the question in what I thought was a very measured and reasonable manner. 

He could of course said "no comment" but then  he would be shrieking a responsibility toward what he clearly thinks is dangerous to the sport, as he clearly articulates.

He has stirred up a debate about the nature of the tackles, it is imho healthy to raise the issue if player welfare is of paramount importance in the game, otherwise at some point someone will be seriously injured, if not already.

To be fair, there can be little dispute about what happened. Cuthbertson was held up by two defenders and the tackle was just about complete but not having been called so by the ref. Tautai came in low at Cuthbertson's legs at the time that he was turning in the tackle.. As a result, Tautai hit him near side on which could have caused serious injury. The responsibility is Tautai's to tackle someone legally which he didn't. The ref didn't give a penalty which he surely would have done had he been able to see it again, as we can state given that Tautai was banned for it.

Watch it again here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA-I4E_rb5I

Incident after 34 mins 50 seconds.

That's disgraceful watching, they said he went to the hip, and the pie eaters defence has been, it's allowed if the tackle goes with the natural range of movement for the knees ie tackles from behind, forwards.

That, in that video he's driving down towards the back of the knees and through the legs, with the two players tackling above its cynical with high possibility of injury, foot, ankle, knee, leg, hip or spine as the player collapses and the tacklers fall on top.

Warrington and Tony Smith have been complaining about this since 2010, his point being very much like McDermott, it's about playing a game that's hard enough in the right way.

Yes, you want to shake up a player, to discourage him from running in as hard, but to put someone's health or ability to walk in jeopardy.

Some things are more important than winning.

Archived