Heineken join forces with Canada Rugby League

If we can really tap into the North American sports market the world will be our oyster.

For me this could change our sport forever if we are successful and quite frankly we need to be successful as RU is kicking our a#se both domestically and internationally. Just look at the success of the domestic game in both England and France. Plus the Heineken cup in Europe and the expanded teams in the super 15 or whatever it's called with Argentinian and Japanese sides competing in it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ARL need to get NRL clubs in Perth and another club in Qld as soon as its possible and another NRL club in NZ.

I agree. The Sydney roosters just got a crowd of 6000 against the broncos and usually draw no more than 10000 at home and in think they should seriously look at relocating to maybe the central coast or maybe even Adelaide. I'd also move to dragons to Wollongong fulltime and maybe even relocate the west tigers to Perth.

I agree. The Sydney roosters just got a crowd of 6000 against the broncos and usually draw no more than 10000 at home and in think they should seriously look at relocating to maybe the central coast or maybe even Adelaide. I'd also move to dragons to Wollongong fulltime and maybe even relocate the west tigers to Perth.

send the roosters to Central Coast. Your plan is to relinquish any foothold in Australia's richest demographic and offer it on a plate to the other larger club playing at the same venue and Sydney's largest club that plays next door?

It is paramount that the NRL and Roosters make the Eastern Suburbs work. A successful Roosters in the Eastern Suburbs will always be a priority over relocating them.

Roosters have always had extremely fair weather supporters. Considering the season they've had, plus their opponents (Broncos have been struggling of late) and the Thursday night kick off the crowd posted isn't a surprise.

The fact that so many of their supporters are from affluent backgrounds unfortunately means their crowds are very rocks and diamonds.

Anyway back onto the topic. Great to see the CRLA securing a brand with the profile of Heineken. Be interesting to see if Toronto leverage such a partnership or if Eric uses his relationships with Coors and Fosters for the club.

Rugby League has a far greater chance of taking off in Canada than the US in my opinion. Canadians have always been fans of Rugby in general, whilst for years either code struggled for credibility in the US. As such they have better development structures and a more capable playing base to leverage from the start.

This is why Canada caught up to the US so quickly and why they can draw bigger crowds for games. It's also why they now have more teams and players than the USARL.

Canada with a bit of support can in my opinion grow relatively quickly. Unfortunately to achieve that same growth in the US will take a lot more effort.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

If he manages to do all this, put him in charge of marketing and all that, seems to be doing one hellava job already, SL, naaa, Rugby League in general could do with a go getter like this. Him and Sally Bolton working together could do wonders.

Perez is so articulate on the challenges that face our game and on why it should appeal to Canadians (CFL was born out of League, not NFL). He really seems to know what he is doing.

I feel like I have to point this one out, Perez is way off on his CFL history. He sure tells a good story, but that's all. 

The first written account of a game played was on October 15, 1862, on the Montreal Cricket Grounds." 

"In 1864, at Trinity College, Toronto, F. Barlow Cumberland, Frederick A. Bethune, and Christopher Gwynn, one of the founders of Milton, Massachusetts, devised rules based on rugby football. The game gradually gained a following, with the Hamilton Football Club formed on November 3, 1869, (the oldest football club in Canada). Montreal formed a team April 8, 1872, Toronto was formed on October 4, 1873, and the Ottawa FBC on September 20, 1876.

This rugby-football soon became popular at Montreal's McGill University. McGill challenged Harvard University to a game, in 1874 using a hybrid game of English rugby devised by the University of McGill."

As you can see Canadian Football was developing by varying from Rugby Football 30 years before the league split. The game we now know as American Football grew out of that McGill-Harvard game. Borrowing back from the Americans, in 1903 Canadian football introduced the snap at the line of scrimmage, reducing to 12 players, and the system of downs. Rugby league didn't introduce limited tackles until 1966.

They absolutely have a common ancestor, but to try to claim Canadian Football as solely league-descended is just incorrect. The truth is just as compelling as a reason Canadians may take to rugby league the same we have football and rugby union.

What bets PRO Rugby expands to Canada and Toronto specifically in the next few years.

I think that's been part of PRO's plan from the start. They supposedly had talks with Rugby Canada before this season, but couldn't work something out as RC wanted to evaluate and not rush it. I'd be surprised if there are no Canadian teams added next year. I personally think they will add Toronto, as they want to increase  their Eastern prescence, it's the nation's largest city with the highest profile, and because Vancouver just got the 7's tournament stop and RC will want to spread the game in more than one area. I would not be surprised if Vancouver gets one as well, if not next year then the year after.

The Canadian club season fully takes place during the league 1 season. I wonder if they will stage ORL games as curtain raisers for Wolfpack games.  They already play at Lamport for some games. Also, I wonder if they are doing anything to try to get the universities playing RL. Rugby union is a fall sport in Canadian universities, so if they ran RL as a spring season they might get a lot of players out who want to play some more (although that is normally when they'd be starting club rugby).

Lots of things for them to try,

send the roosters to Central Coast. Your plan is to relinquish any foothold in Australia's richest demographic and offer it on a plate to the other larger club playing at the same venue and Sydney's largest club that plays next door?

It is paramount that the NRL and Roosters make the Eastern Suburbs work. A successful Roosters in the Eastern Suburbs will always be a priority over relocating them.

The Roosters/Easts have had over 100 years to get it right and still can't.

What do you think the Roosters/Easts should do to get it right?

Great news. This is why Toronto is good for the sport. If they help bring in bigger sponsors then that money can trickle down the leagues. I don't know what Mushy Peas brings in but if we can get international brands sponsoring the game it will boost the sport tremendously.

The larger size of a sponsor doesn't mean they pay more for similar tiers of sponsorship than smaller ones. In fact the reverse is probably true.

FWIW, Premier Foods, who make Bachelors, are hardly an insignificant company if that was what the previous poster was suggesting. Having an official mushy pea supplier is money for old rope, but this sort of low-level sponsorship is often a gateway to taking on a larger role down the line.

The Roosters/Easts have had over 100 years to get it right and still can't.

What do you think the Roosters/Easts should do to get it right?

It's not what they should try to get right, as much as it is to hold position whilst gains are made elsewhere.

Pardon for thread derail folks. Will leave it at that.

The larger size of a sponsor doesn't mean they pay more for similar tiers of sponsorship than smaller ones. In fact the reverse is probably true.

FWIW, Premier Foods, who make Bachelors, are hardly an insignificant company if that was what the previous poster was suggesting. Having an official mushy pea supplier is money for old rope, but this sort of low-level sponsorship is often a gateway to taking on a larger role down the line.

It's about image and prestige.

I can imagine the conversations.

Potential sponsor: "who else is involved?"

RFL: "Mushy peas"

Sponsor: "we're a leading prestigious international brand...."

RFL: "everyone loves mushy peas"

Sponsor: "that's not the kind of image we want. Where will it take us?"

RFL: "Castleford, Wakefield, Widnes..."

Sponsor: "we have never heard of those places. What other sponsors have you had in recent years?"

RFL: "Well there was this one time we didn't get paid but some lorries had pictures on. And another time nobody would sponsor us..."

Throw in world famous brands like Heinneken and a city like Toronto and suddenly the selling of sponsorship becomes a bit easier by association. Over time that can turn into extra money.

For all the people who came out blaming Toronto for York's problems, it is the likes of Toronto which can help York, Workington etc. Cricket and RU are examples where the vast bulk of revenue is top down. Starting with the international game and sponsorship of competitions the money is fed down through the levels. The club game is funded largely in this way. In contrast the money going down the levels in RL is very small.

It's not what they should try to get right, as much as it is to hold position whilst gains are made elsewhere.

Pardon for thread derail folks. Will leave it at that.

I similarly don't want to derail this so all I'll say is the Roosters are not in danger of moving/losing their franchise. West Tigers and Manly are most likely. Cronulla are safe now they've come into money.

Now bring on the Wolfpack!

I understand how sponsorship works thanks, but Rugby League can't refuse approaches from large listed companies for secondary or tertiary deals because the goods they sell might not be fashionable enough for other large companies who may, theoretically, come in at some stage for larger deals (not that those other sponsors would care that much FWIW - Rugby League isn't entirely defined by its sponsors).

I similarly don't want to derail this so all I'll say is the Roosters are not in danger of moving/losing their franchise. West Tigers and Manly are most likely. Cronulla are safe now they've come into money.

Now bring on the Wolfpack!

Are the roosters backed by big money because I've never known them to get big crowds even when they were winning grand finals. Cronulla also own their own ground and I think I'm right in saying it's about to be redelevoped. As for manly I can't believe they left the Central coast to go back to brookvale when the merger with norths disbanded. While the Tigers seem to be struggling as well. Kind of like the sound of western tigers(Perth) or Western Australia tigers but would the people of Perth welcome a relocated franchise??

Are the roosters backed by big money because I've never known them to get big crowds even when they were winning grand finals. Cronulla also own their own ground and I think I'm right in saying it's about to be redelevoped. As for manly I can't believe they left the Central coast to go back to brookvale when the merger with norths disbanded. While the Tigers seem to be struggling as well. Kind of like the sound of western tigers(Perth) or Western Australia tigers but would the people of Perth welcome a relocated franchise??

I think there's appetite for the game in Perth. Any thought of Adelaide is pure fantasy though

I think there's appetite for the game in Perth. Any thought of Adelaide is pure fantasy though

Perth is a must for me as is Brisbane 2 and a team from either Wellington or Christchurch. Adelaide Rams on the other hand decent crowds in their 1st season in super league which would put a lot of Sydney based teams to shame.

I understand how sponsorship works thanks, but Rugby League can't refuse approaches from large listed companies for secondary or tertiary deals because the goods they sell might not be fashionable enough for other large companies who may, theoretically, come in at some stage for larger deals (not that those other sponsors would care that much FWIW - Rugby League isn't entirely defined by its sponsors).

Non-RL fans on twitter were laughing at the fact that the sport was sponsored by Mushy Peas and calling it 'northern' and 'tinpot'. This sort of thing does affect casual perception, probably a hell of a lot more than the RFL realize. As has been alluded to, the sport's profile in this country is absolutely shot, arguably broken beyond repair. We absolutely need overseas injections to drag it out of the stone age.

The Heinekin sponsorship for the CRL is likely a small financial deal. This should not detract from the amazing fact that a huge multinational business has decided to associate itself with our sport. Even more amazing that it has done so in Canada.

Image and association is everything in the sponsorship game. There will definitely be large businesses that will take a second look at becoming a sponsor of SL when that sponsorship would associate their own company with Mushy Peas...

Great coup for Canada RL while in their infancy.

Archived