01 Apr: SL: Leigh Centurions v Widnes Vikings KO 4pm

So the Widnes doom and gloom merchants were wrong?

Also, it's not all over for Leigh. I think they will be targeting the Good Friday game at Salford. Could be interesting!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

3 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

So the Widnes doom and gloom merchants were wrong?

Also, it's not all over for Leigh. I think they will be targeting the Good Friday game at Salford. Could be interesting!

A couple of weeks ago I said that how pleasantly surprised I was with Leigh's defencive performances this season, a part of the game I didn't think that with the age of the individuals in the pack they would be capable of.

Well I think that my original fears have come home to roost, 60 odd points conceded in the last couple of games, the mental attitude they are going to have to overcome with the last two defeats, and a complete lack of attitude displayed today.

Don't worry Tony, I think Leigh have flattered to deceive, in fact I wonder if they will win again in the first 23 rounds.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Outplayed by the Widnes HBs , an even enough game apart from that , they played clever good RL , kicked well and individually created problems 

We played dumb RL , poor kicking , bad decisions 

Must win next week at home to ' cats ' or the bottom 4 is a certainty 

I know we have had an injury list all season, but today we were also missing Thompson, Buchanan, Dudson, White and Heremeia

Burke, Marsh and Leuluai also went off with knocks - the normal sort of stuff you get at Leigh

An amazing performance considering all this

Potentially not great from the injury point of view for Widnes. No subs for the last quarter of the match, with 4 players off injured and a couple of walking wounded at the end.

43 minutes ago, JonM said:

Potentially not great from the injury point of view for Widnes. No subs for the last quarter of the match, with 4 players off injured and a couple of walking wounded at the end.

Yeah! Every silver lining has a cloud, doesn't it? Enjoy the moment, man!

1 hour ago, GaryO said:

A couple of weeks ago I said that how pleasantly surprised I was with Leigh's defencive performances this season, a part of the game I didn't think that with the age of the individuals in the pack they would be capable of.

Well I think that my original fears have come home to roost, 60 odd points conceded in the last couple of games, the mental attitude they are going to have to overcome with the last two defeats, and a complete lack of attitude displayed today.

Don't worry Tony, I think Leigh have flattered to deceive, in fact I wonder if they will win again in the first 23 rounds.

Come off it, Gary! It's a very even league this year - seriously, it is! - and you've had an 'off' day. Of course you'll win again!

Just not on Good Friday.;)

12 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Come off it, Gary! It's a very even league this year - seriously, it is! - and you've had an 'off' day. Of course you'll win again!

Just not on Good Friday.;)

Can't share your confidence with that statement Tony with regards to Leigh bouncing back.

Your very own Doctor Koukash assisted by Brian Noble produced a blue print of amassing together very experienced but quite long in the tooth personnel for their venture into SL, the evidence of that excersize based on onfield performance is well documented, it doesn't work. The forwards at Leigh have put so much effort into the first few games and evidently there is not a lot of fuel left in the tank, and make no mistake it is the pack that have won us the games, our backs are not of SL quality, and our half's have been particularly clueless in the offensive, apart from Mitch Brown I doubt any other back could grace any other SL team.

It is going to be a long hard slog up till round 23, and we are probably lucky in having Le Cats first up next Friday they being out of form and missing their talisman, if we lose that I really see us in the bottom two.

Mr Beaumont stated pre season the mission of this term is to be playing SL in 2018, if I was him and we do lose next Friday I would commence with a plan B - if there is such a thing - with preperations for the middle 8's and the second part of the season.

This may seem like a knee jerk reaction to you or anyone else reading my thoughts, but I can assure you it is not, anyone who knows me will tell you I have expressed grave concerns about our playing personnel being able to compete ably enough throughout the season, that's why I differ from your "off day" theory, conversely I would relish the opportunity to contact you in the near future Tony and say you were right, I was wrong.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Leigh's squad is as good as 75% of the rest of SL , 2 weeks ago our fans were very happy , now after a strange set of refereeing decisions at a resurgent Wakefield and a poor ( complacent in the minds of the players ) performance against a nothing to lose Widnes , we are now ' rubbish ' , the coach and his staff will know the problems and will continue to work to rectify them , that will come on Friday against the Dragons , who will be hurting after some poor results recently , looking forward to it 

42 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Leigh's squad is as good as 75% of the rest of SL , 2 weeks ago our fans were very happy , now after a strange set of refereeing decisions at a resurgent Wakefield and a poor ( complacent in the minds of the players ) performance against a nothing to lose Widnes , we are now ' rubbish ' , the coach and his staff will know the problems and will continue to work to rectify them , that will come on Friday against the Dragons , who will be hurting after some poor results recently , looking forward to it 

Not so as to argue the point with you GUBRATS, it is just we have a differing opinion as to how relatively good our squad is, granted we have some players out who had they been fit would have been availble for team rotation.

But, has I stated earlier my thought process has not just come about in the last 2 or 1 1/2 games, throughout the euphoria of the wins and indeed the defeats I have conducted some in depth private analysis of what I have witnessed and assessed our strengths and weaknesses by my own methods, my findings may and most likely are chalk and cheese with how you view the position, one of us will be edging nearer the reality of the situation moreso than the other, and as I said to Tony, I would prefer to be wrong, concede defeat, and say "you were right". Time will tell, good discussion.

1 hour ago, chrisl1 said:

Apparently there were 6 players in the Widnes team yessterday who had come through the Viking's Academy which is good to see.

Craven, Gilmore, Chapelhow, Walker, Whitley? I guess also Johnston moved to Widnes from Cumbria Regional academy which the Vikings run.

Archived