The Greatest Team

DavidM

From the earlier teams posted on here I can't fathom why no one has opted for the 'hardest man' in the game of that era....Frank Foster (really was upset at hearing of his transfer to HKR).....and the barnstorming wrecking ball prop Bill Martin  great pace for his size..in fact during the early 1960's Town has a pack much feared in the game with of course Brian Edgar a top star.  In the backs Piet Pretorius was rapid, and John 'loppy' O'Neill a good centre for him. Syd Lowden was good at fullback then Charlo arrived..class...happy days at DP.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Derwent said:

That was the year Johnny topped the try scoring list for the whole game and there was a handy cash award from the league sponsors which went into the players pool to share out at the end of the year so they engineered a few tries for him.

Yeh, he couldn't have made it more obvious

I remember the 2 Yankee grid iron players that Tom Mitchell brought across the Pond. Watched them in a Saturday A team game ---one of them --- think he was called Joe Rizzi-- was given a walk in.Instead of touching down he just stood there and got smashed out of play. Old habits die hard 

12 hours ago, Chrome Dome said:

From the earlier teams posted on here I can't fathom why no one has opted for the 'hardest man' in the game of that era....Frank Foster (really was upset at hearing of his transfer to HKR).....and the barnstorming wrecking ball prop Bill Martin  great pace for his size..in fact during the early 1960's Town has a pack much feared in the game with of course Brian Edgar a top star.  In the backs Piet Pretorius was rapid, and John 'loppy' O'Neill a good centre for him. Syd Lowden was good at fullback then Charlo arrived..class...happy days at DP.

Yep, Frank Foster  was a great player and a real hard case my mate played  bit with him and says just before coming out of the changing rooms he used to say to them " reet let's ga out an rip there heeds of".  Just thinking of another local who would no doubt command serious consideration for a place in our dream team is Benny  Eve.

What...no mention of Stuart Chick, Billy Platt or Paul Gorge ?

Mine is

1. P Charlton

2. I Southward

3. I Wright

4. K Kerr

5. D Drummond

6. J Sammut

7. Boxer Walker

8. J Pickering

9. A Banks

10. E Bowman

11. L Gorley

12. B Edgar

13. B Pattinson

Bench

J Stack, S Varley, B Ivison, J Mills, P McKenzie.

Hardest choice had to be Hooker, we have been blessed over the years with some cracking number 9s. Moss, Marland, Falcon, Ward, Roskell, McKenzie, Jenkins, Limmer, Lunt. Matty to name a few. I would love a full team of Clogger Falcon's out there what a player local lad who gave his alll for the shirt.

7 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

What...no mention of Stuart Chick, Billy Platt or Paul Gorge ?

Mine is

1. P Charlton

2. I Southward

3. I Wright

4. K Kerr

5. D Drummond

6. J Sammut

7. Boxer Walker

8. J Pickering

9. A Banks

10. E Bowman

11. L Gorley

12. B Edgar

13. B Pattinson

Bench

J Stack, S Varley, B Ivison, J Mills, P McKenzie.

Hardest choice had to be Hooker, we have been blessed over the years with some cracking number 9s. Moss, Marland, Falcon, Ward, Roskell, McKenzie, Jenkins, Limmer, Lunt. Matty to name a few. I would love a full team of Clogger Falcon's out there what a player local lad who gave his alll for the shirt.

What a terrible indictment of Stuart Chick -- he was by far the best signing we made while he was thumbing a lift up the M6. 

On 7/20/2017 at 6:43 PM, DavidM said:

Or ANZAC / overseas 13

I'll have a go, had to fill it out with a couple of players I didn't see play

Mulligan

Baildon

Kerr

Tuimavave

Pretorious

Sammut

Varley

Pickering

McKenzie

Lomax

Stack

Mudge

Hepi

Subs - Sione, Limmer, Gibbs & O'Kesene

27 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

I'll have a go, had to fill it out with a couple of players I didn't see play

Mulligan

Baildon

Kerr

Tuimavave

Pretorious

Sammut

Varley

Pickering

McKenzie

Lomax

Stack

Mudge

Hepi

Subs - Sione, Limmer, Gibbs & O'Kesene

Remember Phil Hurst ? Cronulla Shark .

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Remember Phil Hurst ? Cronulla Shark .

Centre wasn't he?

Didn't see Pretorious or Mudge play. So stick Hurst on the wing and I need a 2nd rower from1970's onwards. Jason Palmada?

5 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Centre wasn't he?

Didn't see Pretorious or Mudge play. So stick Hurst on the wing and I need a 2nd rower from1970's onwards. Jason Palmada?

Big JT  , Anthony Samuel  ?

I was thinking about Ged Stokes in the 17, but we never saw the best of him - he was an International. Only played about 10 games? We have had some cracking overseas players when you really think back and add those that I didn't include such as Jenkins, Savelio, Groves, etc. 

We've also had some duds as well......

5 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

I was thinking about Ged Stokes in the 17, but we never saw the best of him - he was an International. Only played about 10 games? We have had some cracking overseas players when you really think back and add those that I didn't include such as Jenkins, Savelio, Groves, etc. 

We've also had some duds as well......

Kenny Groves tore it up for us until he acquired a smashed nose in an incident that would attract a 5 match ban these days. He was never the same player after. Anthony Samuel for sure --- fabulous player-- never gave less than 100%. 

3 minutes ago, Seaton Sandy said:

He was never the same player after. Anthony Samuel for sure --- fabulous player-- never gave less than 100%. 

Matt Sturm was another 100%er. I always liked Dean Williams when he played for us, good no nonsense second rower.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

7 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Matt Sturm was another 100%er. I always liked Dean Williams when he played for us, good no nonsense section no rower.

Matt Sturm? Was he the guy that looked a bit like the incredible Hulk?  About as wide as he was tall? Mind you I could be mixing him up with Gavin Brown ! I remember taking a mate of mine to a Town A team match .He was from Sunderland and a devotee of the round ball game.When the teams ran out he took one look at Gav and said to me " Christ- that man hasn't got a neck"!

9 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

You could probably name 3 or 4 very good packs of forwards out of the overseas players

Mick Jenkins is a good call mate , he was great out of dummy half 

Archived