Walker

Pickering

McKenzie

Beverley

L Gorley

Edgar

Pattinson

Subs - Bowman, P Gorley, Hepi, O'Loughlin

Could easily make a case for many more such as Shane Varley, Ian Rudd, Iain Wright, Buck Armstrong etc

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Derwent said:

The team I posted on the main board was

Charlton

Southward

Kerr

Tuimavave

Drummond

Byrne

Walker

Pickering

McKenzie

Beverley

L Gorley

Edgar

Pattinson

Subs - Bowman, P Gorley, Hepi, O'Loughlin

Could easily make a case for many more such as Shane Varley, Ian Rudd, Iain Wright, Buck Armstrong etc

How lucky have we been to see such great talent in a town jersey. Any two or 3 of these would transform today's side

I can't even pick a hooker never mind a full team and I'm 'lucky' that I've only been watching since the 80's. Phil was a different type of hooker to Shaun, then there's Johnny and Matty to consider and that's just from the 90's onwards. Phil was in a fantastic team, imagine any of the other 3 in that team - Impossible! 

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

10 hours ago, The Voodooguru said:

I can't even pick a hooker never mind a full team and I'm 'lucky' that I've only been watching since the 80's. Phil was a different type of hooker to Shaun, then there's Johnny and Matty to consider and that's just from the 90's onwards. Phil was in a fantastic team, imagine any of the other 3 in that team - Impossible! 

And Mark Roskell

I could pick any combination of the great players already mentioned , so here's a second team instead who weren't stars but either deserve honourable mentions or showed great promise for a short time :

1. Briscoe

2. Pape

3. Hetherington

4. Penrice

5. Lewthwaite

6. Boylan

7. Manihera

8. Okesene

9. Lunt

10. Falcon

11. McMullen

12. Holgate

13. Walsh

14. Watson

15. Thackray

16. Oglanby

17. Charters

First and Best team I watched on Borough Park.No subs,if you were injured you stayed on.All the players were there for 80 mins in Winter conditions!

Risman,Lawrenson,Paskins,Gibson,Wilson Thomas,Pepperel,Hayton,McKeating,Waring,Mudge,Thurlow,Iveson.

Hookers had to HOOK then.If the ball was going in like now,there would be a pen every scrum!!

Started watching Town in 1963 so missed all the old greats but a few were sill around so my team would be 

1Paul Charlton

2Ike Southward

3Vince Fawcett

4Ian Wright

5Iain MacCorquordale

6Shane Varley

7Arnold Walker

8Bruce Gibbs

9Howard Allan

10Eddie Bowman

11Les Gorley

12Peter Gorley

13Bill Pattinson

bench would be 14Allan Banks        15Harry Beverley       16 Jimmy Pickering     17Barry Williams

2 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Started watching Town in 1963 so missed all the old greats but a few were sill around so my team would be 

1Paul Charlton

2Ike Southward

3Vince Fawcett

4Ian Wright

5Iain MacCorquordale

6Shane Varley

7Arnold Walker

8Bruce Gibbs

9Howard Allan

10Eddie Bowman

11Les Gorley

12Peter Gorley

13Bill Pattinson

bench would be 14Allan Banks        15Harry Beverley       16 Jimmy Pickering     17Barry Williams

Bruce Gibbs, awesome front rower with the hair to match

Always expected to hear his name in NRL (ARL them days) but never heard of once he went home, Think I may have read somewhere he had lost an arm in a farming accident back in Aus?

Hopefully I am wrong on that?

8 minutes ago, Onreport said:

Bruce Gibbs, awesome front rower with the hair to match

Always expected to hear his name in NRL (ARL them days) but never heard of once he went home, Think I may have read somewhere he had lost an arm in a farming accident back in Aus?

Hopefully I am wrong on that?

An absolute man mountain, made Gav Brown look anorexic !

44 minutes ago, Derwent said:

An absolute man mountain, made Gav Brown look anorexic !

I remember Gavin Brown in 1981 against Cardiff Blue Dragons. Burst through the defence, crossed the line and turned round looking for John Jones. He then just popped ball into his hands to give him another try

3 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

I could pick any combination of the great players already mentioned , so here's a second team instead who weren't stars but either deserve honourable mentions or showed great promise for a short time :

1. Briscoe

2. Pape

3. Hetherington

4. Penrice

5. Lewthwaite

6. Boylan

7. Manihera

8. Okesene

9. Lunt

10. Falcon

11. McMullen

12. Holgate

13. Walsh

14. Watson

15. Thackray

16. Oglanby

17. Charters

Harry Marland would play anywhere you asked him. I'd better mention Yanto or he'll be feeling left out. 

3 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Harry Marland would play anywhere you asked him. I'd better mention Yanto or he'll be feeling left out. 

As did Derek Branthwaite from Lock to Fullback, all good servants to the town cause 

4 hours ago, Brookie said:

I remember Gavin Brown in 1981 against Cardiff Blue Dragons. Burst through the defence, crossed the line and turned round looking for John Jones. He then just popped ball into his hands to give him another try

That was the year Johnny topped the try scoring list for the whole game and there was a handy cash award from the league sponsors which went into the players pool to share out at the end of the year so they engineered a few tries for him.

4 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Lot of good club men around in those days, lads that weren't first choice players but who would come in and do a job when needed. Dave Smith, Ray Lewis, John Dobie, Dave Atkinson, Alan Varty to name but a few.

Archived