The Greatest Team

DavidM

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Mick Jenkins is a good call mate , he was great out of dummy half 

Yeah he was a good find considering he didn't come over to play rugby he just came over for a holiday to accompany Evan Cochrane. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Jenkins, Young and how we could use a Savelio now; great players but can’t agree about Matt Sturm who I considered very ordinary. Suddenly surprisingly he has a great game and then I’m told there were some Warrington scouts watching and off he goes.

No one's mentioned Howard Burns !!!....honest the kid was awesome ..as good as Boxer in his day but had a lot more zip around the ruck and did'nt have the protection from a big pack like Boxer had.Could have went on to play at the highest level but like many other locals did'nt want to move away.

Ian Rudd and Steve Mcquire to other local players who had unbelievable skill.

Maybe born in the wrong era but all three were class footballers.

8 hours ago, yanto said:

No one's mentioned Howard Burns !!!....honest the kid was awesome ..as good as Boxer in his day but had a lot more zip around the ruck and did'nt have the protection from a big pack like Boxer had.Could have went on to play at the highest level but like many other locals did'nt want to move away.

Howard Burns was a fool to himself. I remember the team bus having to go round to his house to get him out of bed. Hell of a player though. Remember the try at Barrow in the cup

14 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Fully agree Yanto ,and Alfie McCarron , Paul Rowley , Gary Nixon ,Lynn Hopkins , and John Lightfoot at hooker weren`t bad either !

People look back on the 74-78 Lancashire cup sides as a bit of a "Golden Era" and when that split up the club seemed to go on a downward spiral and became something of a yo yo team.

BUT when you look at some of the local talent ,individually, the likes of Alfie,Chuddy,Howard,Maggie,Lighty, Nixon,Glogger were on par with the Boxers,Bowman,Gorleys of the day.

Lyn Hopkins is still record points scorer yet people remember Korky more as a goal kicker....Johnny Jones was (if Im right) the only Town player to top the try scoring charts since the 50's (maybe even ever) yet people still talk about Ian Wright. Ian Hartley was an under 24 international.

Then the "Old Trafford Era" and "Super League Era" came and went and people remember those players due to the success of the club.

Naming a Greatest team all depends which sides you have watched over the years and winners will always be remembered  yet some cracking individual players played in the blue "V" even when the club was struggling.

26 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Fully agree Yanto ,and Alfie McCarron , Paul Rowley , Gary Nixon ,Lynn Hopkins , and John Lightfoot at hooker weren`t bad either !

Alfie was an outstanding talent, like so many we seemed to produce them days, Harold Henney and Ian Hartley for example. If only we could produce back rowers like those guys theses days. 

3 minutes ago, yanto said:

People look back on the 74-78 Lancashire cup sides as a bit of a "Golden Era" and when that split up the club seemed to go on a downward spiral and became something of a yo yo team.

BUT when you look at some of the local talent ,individually, the likes of Alfie,Chuddy,Howard,Maggie,Lighty, Nixon,Glogger were on par with the Boxers,Bowman,Gorleys of the day.

Lyn Hopkins is still record points scorer yet people remember Korky more as a goal kicker....Johnny Jones was (if Im right) the only Town player to top the try scoring charts since the 50's (maybe even ever) yet people still talk about Ian Wright. Ian Hartley was an under 24 international.

Then the "Old Trafford Era" and "Super League Era" came and went and people remember those players due to the success of the club.

Naming a Greatest team all depends which sides you have watched over the years and winners will always be remembered  yet some cracking individual players played in the blue "V" even when the club was struggling.

Spot on mate, as i have said on here earlier, how lucky  we are to have had the privelege to watch so many talented locals

Watched Ian Wright throughout his career and he is still my favourite Town player . In Tom Mitchells book he says about him being one of the first players to build himself up with weight training to get a bit of an edge . He scored tries for fun and his wingers scored as many as him  , great tackler too (ask Corky). But yes Yanto i agree about Johnny Jones , that was a season never to forget . Think he owed most of those tries to Shane Varley spraying passes around like a magician , Ray Wilkins around then too . A season or 2 before that i was sat in the grandstand watching the A team (never missed) and Ecky Bell was tearing his hair out and said to me "Johnny could be as good as anybody if he just put his mind to it " ...It took Shane Varley to prove the point .  

22 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Watched Ian Wright throughout his career and he is still my favourite Town player . In Tom Mitchells book he says about him being one of the first players to build himself up with weight training to get a bit of an edge . He scored tries for fun and his wingers scored as many as him  , great tackler too (ask Corky). But yes Yanto i agree about Johnny Jones , that was a season never to forget . Think he owed most of those tries to Shane Varley spraying passes around like a magician , Ray Wilkins around then too . A season or 2 before that i was sat in the grandstand watching the A team (never missed) and Ecky Bell was tearing his hair out and said to me "Johnny could be as good as anybody if he just put his mind to it " ...It took Shane Varley to prove the point .  

Dont get me wrong I had the privelege of partnering both Ian and Johnny in the center and both are top guys.

Just saying people remember a successful side more,(3 Lancashire cups for Ian against one second division try scoring fest for Johnny) .

I never forget picking up winning pay at Headingley around 1978 for sitting on the bench for 80 minutes ;-)

Leeds pack tried to mix it with Town and came of a bad second best.

On the back of the forward superiority Ian Wright ran in a hat trick of tries,all from his own half or at least all long range..(memory not as good as it used to be or maybe like fisher men we exaggerate when remembering good times ) class player.

As for Johnny's top try scoring season the least said about that and Tommy Bishop the better ;-)

9 hours ago, yanto said:

There's no doubt in my mind that Ian Rudd would have gone on to be one of the top players of his era, he had everything you'd want in a stand off. He was just starting to become top class when he was tragically struck down by the illness that ended his career.

As for Howard, lets just say his off field activities stopped him achieving what he could have in the game.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Ray Ashton and Peter Walsh were two great , club changing coaches who played a big part in making many players what they were , and improving decent players immensely ... and I still say bring back the simple but iconic blue v !

4 minutes ago, havenhater said:

Mulligan 

Drummond

Fawcett 

Gelling (cop out) but he was class in his 1 match

Baildon

Sammut 

Marwood

Pickering

Mattinson 

R. Phillips 

Stack

Williams 

Holgate 

Gelling ripped it up , a quick winger would have had 4 tries that day . He should be grateful to us as a week later he was out the cold and in the Wigan team

14 hours ago, yanto said:

Ian Rudd was the most naturally talented player I've seen around here,Town certainly got some talent from Wath Brow in them days,Ian,John Lightfoot,Big Alfie,Colin Todd were all good players.

Only been watching since the early 90s, 

mully

cocker

fawcett

kay

dessie

sammut

holty

pickering

lunt

r. Phillips

stack

kyle white

hepi

Subs, mckenzie, holgate, Barry Williams, thacks 

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

4 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

I'd be interested to know how many full GB international players or coaches we've had on the books over the years. Obviously not so many in recent times , i'll start it off with David Ward, Maurice Bamford and Des Drummond.

Lunty has England caps 

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

Archived