Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
thehullram

Red hall - leading the way globally

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Did you not read the end of my super plan?

I did and it sounded a utopia...


Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is that we do not know what the hell the RFL wants as a vision for the game? Statements from Draper like "SL need to resist being hasty about changes" just sounds like the tail wagging the dog.

The game's leaders in this country should be saying to it members - this is exactly what we want for the next 5 years in terms of club set-ups, internationals, womens, youth and community games now back us in that - I don't see any of this sadly. We don't even know if they have any strategy for teams like Toulouse, Toronto plus any others growing into elite clubs.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MatthewWoody said:

I think they'd open them as soon as somebody show on the field there a better spectacle than the NRL and Origin. 
At the moment, there's not anything like this. 

I prefer watching internationals, especially Aus v NZ, over Origin. SOO is too overrated for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

I prefer watching internationals, especially Aus v NZ, over Origin. SOO is too overrated for me. 

In terms of quality/intensity of the game, Origin is miles better. 


Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Nothing gets by you, Woody ?

If you were being sarcastic, my fault as English is not my mothertongue ;) 

  • Like 1

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MatthewWoody said:

If you were being sarcastic, my fault as English is not my mothertongue ;) 

I was being more hyperbolic if anything. "Slightly" exaggerating what could be achieved!

But in all fairness, the conference system is the way to spread since we don't have enough clubs outside of England to make a league.

There's always the option of the Canadians, Americans and French fielding 8 clubs between them and having their own league similar to union's Pro12.


Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
4 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

I prefer watching internationals, especially Aus v NZ, over Origin. SOO is too overrated for me. 

Same here. I haven't watched a game/series since the late 90's. Give me the trans-Tasman 3 test series over SOO any day of the week. In fact give me vanuatu v Solomon Islands over SOO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MatthewWoody said:

In terms of quality/intensity of the game, Origin is miles better. 

Not for me it isn't. England v NZ WC 2013 was the best game I've ever seen. I've watched plenty of SOO games over the years after being told it was the best thing since sliced bread and I found it like a regular NRL game. Maybe you have to be from Queensland or NSW to feel differently. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2017 at 2:49 PM, Futtocks said:

I think some Marvins on here would have an almost anaphylactic reaction to the positivity in that article. Yes, it is probably far too optimistic, but he does make points that are valid. And there are possible positives for SL in taking at least one game Down Under. If it goes well, maybe more will take place, because I think RL fans down under would certainly appreciate the Castleford style, for a start.

The Jeff Masters story tacked on the end is a bit of fun, too.

There should be a Jeff Masters Trophy!! :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

Same here. I haven't watched a game/series since the late 90's. Give me the trans-Tasman 3 test series over SOO any day of the week. In fact give me vanuatu v Solomon Islands over SOO.

Lol, you have missed some cracking games then!

Why haven't you watched a game since the late 90s? Is it because there are so many passionate, highly skilled players representing (in most instances) their place of birth?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
7 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Lol, you have missed some cracking games then!

Why haven't you watched a game since the late 90s? Is it because there are so many passionate, highly skilled players representing (in most instances) their place of birth?

I have no interest in a parochial contest between two states in Australia. It's either domestic league or international RL for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

State of Origin is a fantastic series but it is what it is.

However, when you then pick the best players from SOO and move onto Australia (thus getting rid of some of the origin dead wood) and that combined side sometimes loses big games like the 2008 WC final and 2011 and 2014 4 Nations - how can you call the former the pinnacle? Honestly?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't agree more Scubby and pleased to see your interest in SOO.

Personally, I feel that any fan of RL that can't get interested in a rep series that is consistently brilliant, because it is not club footy or an international is simply cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love watching them but I really do get griped by the hype. They are exciting and often very competitive. However, Nate Miles, Mitchell Pearce, Coen Hess, Jarrod Wallace and Tim Glasby are still running around in these game FFS. Many of the top players in the world are no longer Australian and playing for Australia needs to be recognised more by the media (particularly in Sydney).

Edited by Scubby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/07/2017 at 2:46 PM, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I was being more hyperbolic if anything. "Slightly" exaggerating what could be achieved!

But in all fairness, the conference system is the way to spread since we don't have enough clubs outside of England to make a league.

There's always the option of the Canadians, Americans and French fielding 8 clubs between them and having their own league similar to union's Pro12.

You are right. Expanding with regional conferences should suit everyone

Domestic leagues and traditions protected but scope to explore exotic new venues.

Bring them together for end of season play offs and a world champion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2017 at 4:33 PM, Scubby said:

State of Origin is a fantastic series but it is what it is.

However, when you then pick the best players from SOO and move onto Australia (thus getting rid of some of the origin dead wood) and that combined side sometimes loses big games like the 2008 WC final and 2011 and 2014 4 Nations - how can you call the former the pinnacle? Honestly?

It's not happening very often, honestly.


Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...