Gamesmanship creeping into the sport ?

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Did you watch the game ? , I havent seen players lying on until a penalty was given twice in the last 40 seconds as I witnessed on saturday , not suggesting they broke any rules , they didnt 

Similarily I dont recall defenders deliberatly being pushed into a full back or winger catching a ball ( something highly dangerous given the potential for head injuries ) in 40 odd years of watching the game 

Either way , if you feel there isnt an issue then fine , youve made your point 

Did Terry Newton not receive a long suspension Wigan v. St Helen's. I recall he shoved Sean Long into one of team mates causing injury to both players.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Oxford said:

Already there for you if you want ..... it's called rugby union!

And you're unlikely to miss anything if you go to the toilet!

Win, Win!

Chuckle...

Mind you some of the things we hate about RU has crept in... e.g.   Reset scrums... there where a few in the Leeds Wigan play-off game... maybe more... one was reset twice, that is x3 scrums... plus I have seen a few reset scrums in quite a few other games.    

I do agree with some of the comments with regards to some of the time wasting tactics creeping in... as distinct from the speed of play with the ball in play, so to speak.

Although Leeds have held the ball in the scrum a few times this season which I find a pain... copying other teams. Although this is besides the point but just wanted to moan about it....

28 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Chuckle...

Mind you some of the things we hate about RU has crept in... e.g.   Reset scrums... there where a few in the Leeds Wigan play-off game... maybe more... one was reset twice, that is x3 scrums... plus I have seen a few reset scrums in quite a few other games.    

I do agree with some of the comments with regards to some of the time wasting tactics creeping in... as distinct from the speed of play with the ball in play, so to speak.

Although Leeds have held the ball in the scrum a few times this season which I find a pain... copying other teams. Although this is besides the point but just wanted to moan about it....

The keeping the ball in the scrum is as exciting and as acceptable as a posh over try.(spelling not an accident)

This is a rant thread really.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Talking of gamesmanship and tinewasting , what about teams with the ball taking an interminable amount of time to play the ball when they're ahead in the dying embers of a game ? But in possession you can apparently slow the play the ball down ... when in reverse there's zero latitude ! It seems in general when you're in possession the rub goes your way 

Thing is we all love to criticise some of the antics seen in football but if it works then why not. Why wouldn't you. I just think a seal flop is a lot easier to spot than a lot of football flouncing yet seal flopping does bring rewards, which is a shame.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

6 hours ago, DavidM said:

It seems in general when you're in possession the rub goes your way 

Which is how people come to see Refs as biased. And also makes easier for dominant teams to er well ...dominate!

It's often been a point of discussion between me and my dad about how Cru always seem to play the game "too honestly" and on occasions it has cost us...yet the opposition seem to get away with murder, but on the odd time our lads try it they get penalised immediately. Down to the ref I know, but frustrating nonetheless.

As for specifically lying on and feigning injury, if you want to see mastery of both, go watch the All-Golds ;)

It's about time that the officials do get a grip on all these things though, the game as a whole will benefit from less "gamesmanship", i.e. cheating...

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Always look for forwards leaving scrums to act as defenders especially when team putting the ball in are in their own 20 .But i am still waiting for a team to kick it from the scrum downfield and make it a foot race , the full back is usually in the line , if you kick it far enough a speedy winger should always beat defenders to the ball as the defenders have to turn .Used to happen quite a bit not so long ago , but it seems teams aren`t willing to take the gamble these days . 

4 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Always look for forwards leaving scrums to act as defenders especially when team putting the ball in are in their own 20 .But i am still waiting for a team to kick it from the scrum downfield and make it a foot race , the full back is usually in the line , if you kick it far enough a speedy winger should always beat defenders to the ball as the defenders have to turn .Used to happen quite a bit not so long ago , but it seems teams aren`t willing to take the gamble these days . 

I always think that's a great trick shot . Surprised it's not used more, at least if it doesn't work you're down the other end

13 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

Well, one needs to happen for the other to. But yep, I do like those.:offtopic:

ZZzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz!

Archived