The Future of ORLFC

jroyales

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jroyales said:

Just curious, does anyone know where the hairnets are getting their money from? They seem to be putting a large decent side together and that can't be cheap!

Smallest budget in the division, players come because we have a great coach and offer 1st class training facilities at Warrington.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

On 05/11/2017 at 5:12 PM, eclecticsheep said:

I have come round to thinking that without knowing it he`s done us a favour...do any one of you want all the sheer stress of a role at ORLFC at a time when RL as a whole is metamorphosising into elite/others (rather like football). with so many clubs on the edge of the abyss, and less and less participation in the nation, and the RFL`s make it up as we go along for the lower leagues, (oxford etc...)  Chris would still be a part of it ...out of necessity as I don`t think any of us have the werewithal  (initially) on any framework of shared ownership/buyout/takeover.

As has been said on here before...Use it before you lose it...Im hauling down my protest flag...Two years now, After all R***dale M*****ld and S********th Ran***s just aint the same...I will go to Whitebank, its handy and I like the proximity. hopefully he will use my gate money to pay off a little of any liabilities.

I laughed aloud when one witty wag on here suggested that CH was , and I quote" back in his comfort zone" I knew what was meant...back to winning at Whitebank...all he has to sort really!

One day someone may have to "pick up the pieces" cos when this toy gets thrown it will be broken...

It sounds like the type of thing I would say.Whitebank is CHs spiritual home for his club.For me it's about what is tolerable.I couldn't tolerate a return to the pre 2015 state of affairs.Trouble is ,Whitebank is for me part of that.I would never consider that place a permanent home.Its CHs club,he wants to run it,so my best advice is get us promoted,get us out of that place. I will support all reasonable endeavours to that end.

On 11/5/2017 at 5:12 PM, eclecticsheep said:

I have come round to thinking that without knowing it he`s done us a favour...do any one of you want all the sheer stress of a role at ORLFC at a time when RL as a whole is metamorphosising into elite/others (rather like football). with so many clubs on the edge of the abyss, and less and less participation in the nation, and the RFL`s make it up as we go along for the lower leagues, (oxford etc...)  Chris would still be a part of it ...out of necessity as I don`t think any of us have the werewithal  (initially) on any framework of shared ownership/buyout/takeover.

As has been said on here before...Use it before you lose it...Im hauling down my protest flag...Two years now, After all R***dale M*****ld and S********th Ran***s just aint the same...I will go to Whitebank, its handy and I like the proximity. hopefully he will use my gate money to pay off a little of any liabilities.

I laughed aloud when one witty wag on here suggested that CH was , and I quote" back in his comfort zone" I knew what was meant...back to winning at Whitebank...all he has to sort really!

One day someone may have to "pick up the pieces" cos when this toy gets thrown it will be broken...

Agree, the game is in such a state of flux, i heard today that  at the dinner the other night Ralph Rimmer of the RFL was quoted as saying there will be no promotion in 2018. Where the heck does that leave the game? The RFL need to announce what the restructuring is going to be NOW, no one knows what we are playing for next season.

The RFL are killing this sport, who knows maybe through no fault of our own this could potentially be the death of RL in Oldham and other towns ,with the RFL hell bent on this Transatlantic farce and bringing back licensing (as has been pretty much confirmed by more than one respected RL journalist).Until the plans are released by the RFL at the end of the next season,then a lot of clubs i bet will be on tenterhooks. They only care about the Elite clubs, it will be a case eventually of merge or die for the lower clubs so the RFL have big city/regional clubs in the competitions.

Its coming, i believe that wholeheartedly, the future for us and the rest of the lower champ/league 1 clubs looks pretty bleak from what i keep reading about the plans for the future of RL in this country. The application of Toronto to play at Odsal next season is seriously farcical, if the game was serious about Canada surely they could find a home ground in their own country,its big enough for crying out loud. Maybe im cynical but this "move" seems like a backdoor way to introduce a "new" UK club into the mix, maybe they will rebrand/relocate to a different UK city,say Glasgow for example in the future and the "Toronto" experiment was a trojan horse? I hope not, as much as i dont like this transatlantic malarky they did seem to attract crowds and publicity for the game.NY we cant comment on yet.

I truly fear for the sport as a whole.

In a restructure the answer imho would be to have four 10 team divisions.in 2019, SL,SL2,Division 1, Division 2.

At the end of the coming season, the top 10 SL clubs remain in SL,

SL2 comprises the 2 sides "relegated"from SL plus the top 8 from the Championship.

Division 1 consists of bottom 4 from Championship and top 6 from League 1.

Division 2 consists of the remaining 8 League 1 clubs and two others, NY is one plus Bristol.

2 up,2 down Promotion and relegation between the lower 3 leagues ,and 1 promotion relegation place between SL and SL2.

Due to less fixtures start the season later so it becomes proper "Summer" rugby, Have 9s comps "pre season" to bulk out the season if necessary.

At least then everyone has something to play for, even go to 12 teams per division if its achievable, no middle eights,super eights etc. SL could still have playoffs and the GF.

Just my basic plan in dreamworld to keep the game alive.

P.S Whitebank has improved immeasurably AK, no reason why it couldnt develop further with the addition of a couple of stands.It was a dump,it isnt anymore.

EDIT. Seems like Toronto will be playing next season in Canada after all, seems very odd that they applied to play at Odsal still though.

24 minutes ago, roughyed34 said:

Agree, the game is in such a state of flux, i heard today that  at the dinner the other night Ralph Rimmer of the RFL was quoted as saying there will be no promotion in 2018. Where the heck does that leave the game? The RFL need to announce what the restructuring is going to be NOW, no one knows what we are playing for next season.

The RFL are killing this sport, who knows maybe through no fault of our own this could potentially be the death of RL in Oldham and other towns ,with the RFL hell bent on this Transatlantic farce and bringing back licensing (as has been pretty much confirmed by more than one respected RL journalist).Until the plans are released by the RFL at the end of the next season,then a lot of clubs i bet will be on tenterhooks. They only care about the Elite clubs, it will be a case eventually of merge or die for the lower clubs so the RFL have big city/regional clubs in the competitions.

Its coming, i believe that wholeheartedly, the future for us and the rest of the lower champ/league 1 clubs looks pretty bleak from what i keep reading about the plans for the future of RL in this country. The application of Toronto to play at Odsal next season is seriously farcical, if the game was serious about Canada surely they could find a home ground in their own country,its big enough for crying out loud. Maybe im cynical but this "move" seems like a backdoor way to introduce a "new" UK club into the mix, maybe they will rebrand/relocate to a different UK city,say Glasgow for example in the future and the "Toronto" experiment was a trojan horse? I hope not, as much as i dont like this transatlantic malarky they did seem to attract crowds and publicity for the game.NY we cant comment on yet.

P.SWhitebank has improved immeasurably AK, no reason why it couldnt develop further with the addition of a couple of stands.It was a dump,it isnt anymore.

I've been saying it for ages,the RFL couldn't give a stuff about any club outside superleague, they used to say the RFU was elitist, only bothered about money,the words-pot,kettle,pan and black come to mind.I don't like the idea of foreign clubs entering our competition, why can't they develop their own?.As for whitebank,it is what it is,we are playing there next season, whether people come and watch it's up to them.

28 minutes ago, roughyed34 said:

this could potentially be the death of RL in Oldham

One thing is for certain - the production of future young stars in the town is in good hands. The youth coaches are doing a fantastic job. 

I was fortunate to be a the youth finals yesterday at Saddleworth (and what a superb set-up it is there now)

Firstly there was agreat crowd there - it just shows there is still interest in RL in the town.

The talent on show was a joy to watch.

The MOM for the first game was the son of a former England captain. Such silky skills! He was ably assisted by some other classy looking prospects (one another son of a former Roughyeds star). Add to that a very talented Waterhead team, who despite a top season, on the day were second best.

The rest of the matches produced some equally exciting play.

Sadly, I doubt that any of this talent will ever see an Oldham shirt, what a pity there was no one there from the club (as far as I know)

13 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

I've been saying it for ages,the RFL couldn't give a stuff about any club outside superleague, they used to say the RFU was elitist, only bothered about money,the words-pot,kettle,pan and black come to mind.I don't like the idea of foreign clubs entering our competition, why can't they develop their own?.

The RL really seem interested only in SL. I read elsewhere today that there are two distinct games now in this country, Super League and Rugby League, and the RL only care about their precious SL. For what it is worth, all the "expansion plans" in my opinion were an attempt to get Sport England / Goverment funding as though we are a truly professional sport. With this plan failed, they are happy to drop these clubs, like Oxford & Gloucester.

8 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

One thing is for certain - the production of future young stars in the town is in good hands. The youth coaches are doing a fantastic job. 

I was fortunate to be a the youth finals yesterday at Saddleworth (and what a superb set-up it is there now)

Firstly there was agreat crowd there - it just shows there is still interest in RL in the town.

The talent on show was a joy to watch.

The MOM for the first game was the son of a former England captain. Such silky skills! He was ably assisted by some other classy looking prospects (one another son of a former Roughyeds star). Add to that a very talented Waterhead team, who despite a top season, on the day were second best.

The rest of the matches produced some equally exciting play.

Sadly, I doubt that any of this talent will ever see an Oldham shirt, what a pity there was no one there from the club (as far as I know)

Your right, sorry, i should have said pro RL in Oldham.

you have to admire a club  who play expansive rugby, play in a superb stadium. where the board/committee put monies in and do not take in out best of luck hornets you deserve it. us lot utter garbage promotion all talk look what players other clubs in this pathetic league are signing.

Tbf that's probably the worst post I have read in a while Tandle. Have a word with yourself pal.? We are in the league we are in,that's that. The players we have signed ain't exactly poor are they? Perfectly capable of dragging us back into the Championship (if there is indeed promotion). We know your position on the game and the club,but all the negatives before the season has started is a tad premature.

Anyway it's not a discussion about the Hornets, we have more to worry about than the noisy neighbours.

It's about the future of OUR club and OUR position in the game.

1 hour ago, roughyed34 said:

In a restructure the answer imho would be to have four 10 team divisions.in 2019, SL,SL2,Division 1, Division 2.

At the end of the coming season, the top 10 SL clubs remain in SL,

SL2 comprises the 2 sides "relegated"from SL plus the top 8 from the Championship.

Division 1 consists of bottom 4 from Championship and top 6 from League 1.

Division 2 consists of the remaining 8 League 1 clubs and two others, NY is one plus Bristol.

2 up,2 down Promotion and relegation between the lower 3 leagues ,and 1 promotion relegation place between SL and SL2.

Due to less fixtures start the season later so it becomes proper "Summer" rugby, Have 9s comps "pre season" to bulk out the season if necessary.

At least then everyone has something to play for, even go to 12 teams per division if its achievable, no middle eights,super eights etc. SL could still have playoffs and the GF.

Just my basic plan in dreamworld to keep the game alive.

P.S Whitebank has improved immeasurably AK, no reason why it couldnt develop further with the addition of a couple of stands.It was a dump,it isnt anymore.

To be honest R34 a covered shed down the houses side would do.25 yard to 25 yard. I have seen its much better looking place than it was but it is no good in rain.Also without stepped terracing you need to be tall to see if God forbid we get a crowd.

6 hours ago, jroyales said:

Heard from a sound source that Sky aren't renewing their contract with the RL. Has anyone else heard the same?

The consequences if that happened would be devastating to the future of RL at pro level.

Not sure what this has to do with the future of ORLFC ????  maybe should have been posted in the " General RL Forum "

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

11 hours ago, jroyales said:

Heard from a sound source that Sky aren't renewing their contract with the RL. Has anyone else heard the same?

The consequences if that happened would be devastating to the future of RL at pro level.

The deal lasts until 2021, after that who knows.

We have a few years before disaster strikes.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

6 hours ago, Roughyedz said:

Not sure what this has to do with the future of ORLFC ????  maybe should have been posted in the " General RL Forum "

5 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

If Sky go then so does central funding,relevant to the future of every club including Oldham.

I think its not just relevant to Oldham but to the game.No sky,no club,no money, no game.Knackered!.

10 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

I think its not just relevant to Oldham but to the game.No sky,no club,no money, no game.Knackered!.

No sky money, every team on a level playing field ,reliant on turnstiles, local Sponsorship and business nouse.  A challenge but not the end of the world. Anyway sky are not going to walk away? They may offer less of a payment, now that would be bad because the big boys wouldn't want to take a pay cut so it's less for the likes of us. Thus making the gap between top and bottom even wider.

Archived