Featherstone vs. Toronto on Good Friday

NickWeaver

Hello all, I am planning on going to the games versus Featherstone, Toulouse and Batley during the easter period and had a couple of questions about Featherstone if you would be so kind as to help.

1. As I am planning on staying in Leeds on the 29th what is the best way to get to the Stadium
  2. Should I buy tickets online when they become available or will I be fine just to buy the day of the match
  3. Anything I should definitely see on my trip
  4. Should I have any concerns about closures due to it being Good Friday

Thanks any help is appreciated. 

7 hours ago, NickWeaver said:

Hello all, I am planning on going to the games versus Featherstone, Toulouse and Batley during the easter period and had a couple of questions about Featherstone if you would be so kind as to help.

1. As I am planning on staying in Leeds on the 29th what is the best way to get to the Stadium
  2. Should I buy tickets online when they become available or will I be fine just to buy the day of the match

Hiya, if trains are running due to it being Easter holidays  you can get one from Leeds to Wakefield Kirkgate, then change from there to the Knottingley train that stops at Featherstone. Failing that it will have to be the bus from Leeds bus station to either Castleford or Pontefract, then change there for Featherstone. You will be able to pay on the Gate. Just get yourself to the ground and enjoy the hospitality.

Im Fev and im proud

8 hours ago, NickWeaver said:

had a look on thetrain line .com says trains running good Friday 30th march 

trains run to kirkgate from leeds  but from fev you have to get the free bus from kirkgate to westgate station for leeds

in wakefield  there's Hepworth gallery and if you have time coal mining museum at caphouse worth a visit

2 hours ago, POR said:

trains run to kirkgate from leeds  but from fev you have to get the free bus from kirkgate to westgate station for leeds

in wakefield  there's Hepworth gallery and if you have time coal mining museum at caphouse worth a visit

Unless there is engineering work happening on Good Friday there should be trains from Kirkgate to Leeds. There are 8 options to Leeds from Fev from 17.04 to 22.45 only one of which requires getting from Kirkgate to Westgate - some are via Pontefract Monkhill.

Have been to Leeds on train recently and you can get to Knottingley or Pontefract from Leeds City station. Bus from there is easy. Have a look at Pontefract castle and you might visit the Travellers Hotel in Featherstone that was run by Tommy Smales and has connections with Robin Hood. 

7 hours ago, POR said:

You catch the Leeds train on platform one at Kirkgate as I use it regularly 

platform two from Kirkgate to Fev 

Im Fev and im proud

NICK if you just going to ground when you get to FEV station ha ha leave platform turn left cross railway lines after shops next left signpost POST OFFICE ROAD ground 150 yds  buy ticket from big hut on carpark can't miss it

in the ground don't forget to buy an official match day programme a good read and a nice souvenir from your day out in the famous FEV 

on a different tack why don't you go on line and order some haribo PONTEFRACT CAKES a local delicacy you'll either love them or hate them !!!!!

If you are travelling from Leeds by public transport you might have more flexibility if you came via Castleford, if trains are running on the day, because the bus station is next door and buses to Featherstone are about the same frequency, BUT if anything goes wrong the Taxi fare to Featherstone will be much cheaper than from Wakefield. It might be worth ringing local cab firms a bit nearer the time to ask the fares from Castleford and Wakefield. My friend from Halifax always comes that way via Leeds station.

Batley is on a good train route from Leeds and roughly a 15 minute walk from the station if you don't mind steep hills. The stadium is also quite close to Dewsbury station where all trains stop and there is a taxi firm next door to the ticket office.

Wakefield are due to play Castleford on the evening of the 29th, wherever they might be playing from? You might be interested in fitting that one in if you can make it?

59 minutes ago, Fev1983 said:

Hi Nick

If you fancy a beer in the cappers bar that would be great, I don’t suppose many Toronto fans will travel for the game?

Think Richard Whitings will attend, seeing they’ve only to walk about 1/4 mile ??? 

Im Fev and im proud

13 hours ago, POR said:

NICK if you just going to ground when you get to FEV station ha ha leave platform turn left cross railway lines after shops next left signpost POST OFFICE ROAD ground 150 yds  buy ticket from big hut on carpark can't miss it

in the ground don't forget to buy an official match day programme a good read and a nice souvenir from your day out in the famous FEV 

on a different tack why don't you go on line and order some haribo PONTEFRACT CAKES a local delicacy you'll either love them or hate them !!!!!

Is it super salty like Dutch black Licorice because I think i'm the only on in my entire extended Dutch family who can't stand the stuff. My Dad loves it though is there a store in Town that makes it the best?

2 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Wakefield are due to play Castleford on the evening of the 29th, wherever they might be playing from? You might be interested in fitting that one in if you can make it?

Good Shout will definitely look at adding that to my itinerary.

1 hour ago, Fev1983 said:

Hi Nick

If you fancy a beer in the cappers bar that would be great, I don’t suppose many Toronto fans will travel for the game?

I'm not sure if many more people will be traveling. I know some people from this forum and Facebook are going to the Summer Bash.

How do English fans travel to Toulouse as I was going to book on Easyjet from London Gatwick but am open for suggestions. 

7 hours ago, NickWeaver said:

Is it super salty like Dutch black Licorice because I think i'm the only on in my entire extended Dutch family who can't stand the stuff. My Dad loves it though is there a store in Town that makes it the best?

I'm not sure if many more people will be traveling. I know some people from this forum and Facebook are going to the Summer Bash.

How do English fans travel to Toulouse as I was going to book on Easyjet from London Gatwick but am open for suggestions. 

Flybe from Manchester, it’s easier travelling to Manchester from Leeds than London, I use skyscanner.com , you can choose the departure as the UK and it gives you the best prices from all uk airports. I flew into Carcassonne when I went from East Midlands, it was a lot cheaper.

8 hours ago, NickWeaver said:

I’ve travelled to Toulouse from Manchester and Birmingham with Flybe, direct to Toulouse, I’ve also flown into Carcassonne airport then caught the train into Toulouse before travelling back their and spending a night stopping over, well worth it 

Im Fev and im proud

9 hours ago, NickWeaver said:

No, Pontefract (Pomfret) Cakes aren't salty just liquorice flavour. There's a (Haribo) factory outlet shop near the centre of Pontefract but I suspect that may be closed on Good Friday - if I get chance (and remember) nearer the time I'll try and check and PM you. If not, some of the supermarkets/local shops sell them and they'll definitely be open.

Nick, by not contradicting any of the previous posts about rail journeys I assume you won't be hiring a car for your stay? If not then Manchester Airport is your best bet if you're planning to stay in the north. There are regular trains from Leeds direct to Manchester Airport, and even a decent National Express coach service, both reasonably priced. If you wanted to stay in Manchester on return Salford play Warrington on the Saturday and there is a very good train service from Manchester to Dewsbury on the Sunday, some of them even stop at Batley on their way to Leeds.

Even if you're hiring a car the train would still be the best bet as airport park and ride is very expensive.

3 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Nick, by not contradicting any of the previous posts about rail journeys I assume you won't be hiring a car for your stay? If not then Manchester Airport is your best bet if you're planning to stay in the north. There are regular trains from Leeds direct to Manchester Airport, and even a decent National Express coach service, both reasonably priced. If you wanted to stay in Manchester on return Salford play Warrington on the Saturday and there is a very good train service from Manchester to Dewsbury on the Sunday, some of them even stop at Batley on their way to Leeds.

Even if you're hiring a car the train would still be the best bet as airport park and ride is very expensive.

Nevermind the (potential) horrors of the M62 around a Bank Holiday!

Lucky you Nick, I am jealous but when watching on TV I will look for you in the crowds of course wearing your WolfPack jersey beaming a smile across the English & French masses while we show them how it is done ..... 

Seriously, 3 great games to attend, and here we are always being accused of not providing any away fans, when we all know one Canadian TWP fan is worth a thousand regular fans by sheer weight of our Canadianness...sss. :lol:

Just now, Captain Survival said:

Lucky you Nick, I am jealous but when watching on TV I will look for you in the crowds of course wearing your WolfPack jersey (and toque) beaming a smile across the English & French masses while we show them how it is done ..... 

Seriously, 3 great games to attend, and here we are always being accused of not providing any away fans, when we all know one Canadian TWP fan is worth a thousand regular fans by sheer weight of our Canadianness...sss. :lol:

14 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

No, Pontefract (Pomfret) Cakes aren't salty just liquorice flavour. There's a (Haribo) factory outlet shop near the centre of Pontefract but I suspect that may be closed on Good Friday - if I get chance (and remember) nearer the time I'll try and check and PM you. If not, some of the supermarkets/local shops sell them and they'll definitely be open.

Awesome will definitely buy a couple of bags to share around here.

13 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

I think we will only be hiring a car during the second week as I'm hoping to see Edinburgh, Isle of Man, York, Lake District National park and other attractions in the middle to north of England.

16 hours ago, Fev1983 said:

Flybe from Manchester, it’s easier travelling to Manchester from Leeds than London, I use skyscanner.com , you can choose the departure as the UK and it gives you the best prices from all uk airports. I flew into Carcassonne when I went from East Midlands, it was a lot cheaper.

15 hours ago, Maureen T-k said:

I’ve travelled to Toulouse from Manchester and Birmingham with Flybe, direct to Toulouse, I’ve also flown into Carcassonne airport then caught the train into Toulouse before travelling back their and spending a night stopping over, well worth it 

Thanks for the tips especially the Carcassonne one as we were going to hire a car and possibly see Catalans vs. Huddersfield on the Second after the game in Toulouse if the times are convenient.

12 hours ago, NickWeaver said:

Thanks for the tips especially the Carcassonne one as we were going to hire a car and possibly see Catalans vs. Huddersfield on the Second after the game in Toulouse if the times are convenient.

toulouse kick off  at 2pm  dragons usually at 6pm but the Hudderfield game only one not confirmed journey time about two hours so should have plenty of time

just a thought nick if you staying in france for a few days I would be based in Perpignan and commute to Toulouse if you do  I would fly Liverpool to girona in spain cost about 80 quid only  about an hour from perignan by car

hi Nick,

I hired a car and drove from Castres to Perpignan when Fev played there in the cup.

It was very straightforward as the road was virtually Motorway all the way and it took me about 2 hours. As Toulouse is about an hour from Castres I would imagine it would only be just over an hour from Toulouse to Perpignan. Good luck!

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

Nick,

Regarding your visit Toulouse, I would advise messaging my colleague Peter Bird, an Englishman  who writes the match reports for League Express from France. He also goes to some of the Catalans home games. His user ID on this forum is Oiseau, which means bird in French. 

Archived