smart motorways - now the real reason

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

(Snip)

Well... there you go... your first warning points since you got back on the site.  You won't receive another warning, it'll be a straight ban.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Apologies for the abusive language used 

But just to repost the other point I made , massive pot holes and various items dropped off vehicles ( a large metal ratchet strap in this case ) make speeding over the set speed limit not the cleverest thing to do 

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:13 PM, meast said:

Never mind the speed, i wish we could teach some of the muppets how to use mirrors, signals and lanes correctly,

Thats easy - ban all BMW drivers with immediate effect and you'll eliminate 99% of the problem ;) 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

50 minutes ago, RoyBoy295 said:

Similar, you get 12 points and exchange your license for a buss pass.

Just say your livelihood depends on having a car and you can go all the way to 62 and beyond ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I've recently built 2 retaining walls either side of the hard shoulder on the m62 between j9 and j10 and got into a conversation with one of the engineers about the yellow 50mph speed cameras.Curious to how the technology worked I asked how the cameras where able to monitor everybody's average speed given the amount of traffic,his reply was that the only thing he knew about them was that they don't work and as they hadn't received any funding to power them up they wouldn't be working for at least the next 6 months,magic.

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

I've recently built 2 retaining walls either side of the hard shoulder on the m62 between j9 and j10 and got into a conversation with one of the engineers about the yellow 50mph speed cameras.Curious to how the technology worked I asked how the cameras where able to monitor everybody's average speed given the amount of traffic,his reply was that the only thing he knew about them was that they don't work and as they hadn't received any funding to power them up they wouldn't be working for at least the next 6 months,magic.

You seriously shouldn't listen to an un-educated hole digging grunt.

The recently installed M62 J9-10 scheme isn't a Smart Motorway. The Croft Interchange (M6 j21a / M62 j10 junction) was selected as the national site for the first motorway to motorway ramp metering trial (ramp metering is the use of traffic signals on slip roads). All of the 'speed control' technology was installed as part of the scheme as a pre-cursor to the scheme being made fully operational in the future once all the trial data has been assessed (they have to collect 6 months of real time traffic data). It will also link with the M62 J10-12 Smart motorway scheme which will start construction later this year (the pubic exhibition for this  will be next month) and the M6 J21a-26 scheme due for construction early next year.

As for how the camera's work, there's 2 types in use - ANPR (Automated number plate recognition) that measure your average speed and static camera sites that take an instatnt speed reading (look for the line of white bars painted on carriageway as you pass under a gantry).

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Some took a dislike to a speed camera on the way into work this morning.  It was lying on its side with a towing strop round it!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived