History of Oldham Amateur District League

clifford

I been thinking about the history of the amateur game in Oldham for the beginning upto say now, this encompass the geat rangers team of the late 80s early 90s. St Annes beating Batley I think in the challenge cup and playing at CAS winning the national Cup. 

It could also give insights into the lapsed clubs of Oldham, I can go back to the 80s, for the likes of fitton Hill, chadderton, Shaw Salem hornets, seddon panthers, watersheddings wanderers, heyside Eagles, newhey/Milnrow 

Good or bad idea 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good idea. I'm sure there are lots of old clubs we don't think about any longer. I remember Platt Bros had a team for a while. I even played a few games for them. And I think Ferrantis also had a team. I know in the 60s Saddleworth Rangers were the team to beat. I suspect that lots of people will now come up with long forgotten clubs and long forgotten stories. I hope so it will bring back a lot of memories.

The Heritage Trust gave this some real thought a few years ago and we actually carried some initial research. We looked at writing the history of the standard cup and also the development of the junior game and schoolboy game (which was huge from its inception in the late 1910's (around 1919) straight through to the 1980's where it tailed off.

Given the number of junior clubs that existed in the town the project would have been massive.

On top of the clubs you mention above there were teams like Royton, Chadderton, St Marys, Watersheddings, Heyside, and many many more.

In the end it was decided to concentrate on the pro game but include a good chance of the standard cup in Watersheddings Memories.

15 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

The Heritage Trust gave this some real thought a few years ago and we actually carried some initial research. We looked at writing the history of the standard cup and also the development of the junior game and schoolboy game (which was huge from its inception in the late 1910's (around 1919) straight through to the 1980's where it tailed off.

Given the number of junior clubs that existed in the town the project would have been massive.

On top of the clubs you mention above there were teams like Royton, Chadderton, St Marys, Watersheddings, Heyside, and many many more.

In the end it was decided to concentrate on the pro game but include a good chance of the standard cup in Watersheddings Memories.

My father in law Tommy Turner played for st Mary's and hornets with fijians when they first arrived, when he had the manor pub on abbeyhills a couple of the fiji lads turned up, what a night that was 

17 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

Told you they would all come out now. I also remember Shawside and Werneth and I think Kevin Taylor played for Werneth before turning pro with Oldham

True Herbie, one of Rangers youngsters has just signed for Warrington.  Part of the problem is that our club cant compete financially with SL clubs. Its easy to say that Oldham dont look at amateur players in the town, the reality is that lads heads will be turned by offers from SL clubs all day long and no doubt be holding out for those offers. The local pro side simply is not attractive enough now because of the dollar.The days of a young lad going from local amateur to the local (pro/semi pro) side as a stepping stone are long gone. People moan about Oldham not looking at the amateur game, prime example Kev Sinfield. Maybe Oldham looked back in the day but Leeds had him from a very young age. We could not have competed with the package they offered. 

On the other side of the coin, half the current Oldham side came up from our under 20's and aint done so bad ?. The simple answer is bring the 20's back, its whats needed and if lads move on then fair enough.

Any sort of reserve grade would help RL no end. Just my opinion but look at the lads we have from Siddall, good solid lads who know the game. With a reserve grade we could hopefully bring a few of our (Oldham) amateur lads through and have a sustainable club for the future.

42 minutes ago, clifford said:

There is a massive drop in playing numbers from under, 18s to open age 

There is, this is why clubs are struggling with getting enough lads to fulfil fixtures.

We need to get back to our roots in the amateur game. We need to have winter rugby with a September to May season. There are simply too many things to do in summer, not just on a Saturday afternoon but during the week as well. 

Super League scouts target players at the under 14 age group. After this there seems to be a big drop off in players wishing to continue to play the game. In my view most of the players are selected are good big ones, they are not interested in the ones who have not at that age developed physically, no matter what talent they have. there may be some milage in the club setting up a development camp for all u14, 15 and 16s for all players not selected for a SL scholarship. At worst this would keep players in the game longer and you never know, you might get one or two make it through to the pro-ranks.

Back when it was Oldham Bears, they signed a young Oldham lad Rick Badby and let him stay at St Annes, he was the most gifted stand off I played with, but he never played for Oldham and he played his career at St Annes. Iesytn Harris told me that Rick's treatment was one of the reasons he went Warrington 

22 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

There is, this is why clubs are struggling with getting enough lads to fulfil fixtures.

We need to get back to our roots in the amateur game. We need to have winter rugby with a September to May season. There are simply too many things to do in summer, not just on a Saturday afternoon but during the week as well. 

There is a lot of things to do in winter for lads these days, watching  kids train in the cold is no joke

On 6/5/2018 at 9:22 PM, clifford said:

There is a massive drop in playing numbers from under, 18s to open age 

I think that is reflected across most sports.  The growth areas are kids, womens, and things like Parkrun.  The sports bucking the trend (triathlon) tend to be solo rather than team.  

Mens football is nothing like it was, and they play in winter.  Mens RU has seen drops, again still in winter.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, clifford said:

My son at 15 was scouted by a pro RU club and he didn't want to go, he played until he was 18 and walked away and has not played since, not for the want of trying by his rugby mates 

Any reasons given?  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

10 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Any reasons given?  

I'm a martial arts coach and I see kids with bags of talent who give it up when they reach young adulthood. Usual reasons, mates, girls and drink. And when I see them again ,years later, they are always full of regret. "I wish I'd have carried on". The same must be true in team sports. Also on the flip side I see kids with average talent who persevere and become good practitioners. It's a numbers game. The more you've got coming in at the bottom, the more you will lose BUT the more you will have succeeding. We need to invest more at the grassroots level. More coaches , better facilities etc etc. 

23 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Any reasons given?  

Well he start shift work at the airport and then he changed to being car salesman and it was too much hard work to get fit again. Its real shame because he had the power and a nice slip pass 

• 2 months later...
On 6/5/2018 at 9:32 PM, roughyed34 said:

True Herbie, one of Rangers youngsters has just signed for Warrington.  Part of the problem is that our club cant compete financially with SL clubs. Its easy to say that Oldham dont look at amateur players in the town, the reality is that lads heads will be turned by offers from SL clubs all day long and no doubt be holding out for those offers. The local pro side simply is not attractive enough now because of the dollar.The days of a young lad going from local amateur to the local (pro/semi pro) side as a stepping stone are long gone. People moan about Oldham not looking at the amateur game, prime example Kev Sinfield. Maybe Oldham looked back in the day but Leeds had him from a very young age. We could not have competed with the package they offered. 

On the other side of the coin, half the current Oldham side came up from our under 20's and aint done so bad ?. The simple answer is bring the 20's back, its whats needed and if lads move on then fair enough.

Any sort of reserve grade would help RL no end. Just my opinion but look at the lads we have from Siddall, good solid lads who know the game. With a reserve grade we could hopefully bring a few of our (Oldham) amateur lads through and have a sustainable club for the future.

Oldham rugby don’t look at Oldham lads Naylor is lazy coach 3 years never played a Oldham lad played lots of old Salford lads his mate spanner done ok hasn’t he it’s a old blokes set up wake up 

Archived